on that 50 mile drive outside temp was virtually freezing,
engine temp only got to just over 60,
half rad blanked of,
any help on the starting problem would be appreciated ,thanks,

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I'd go with crankshaft sensor as most likely culprit, although I have replaced a few camshaft sensors on this engine too.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
+1 for the CPS.
Exact same symptoms as mine.

Engine temp should be reaching 85C -90C so yes, new thermostat as well.

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
Don't know if my fault is related or not. Just last night and today. When I turn my key to start the car it cranks over no problem 3/4 times then cuts off instantly. No spluttering, no backfiring. It cuts out and I can hear what im assuming is the wirr of the fuel pump spinning down. Weather is absolutely Baltic so im hoping its a tempreture related fault. Ive been running the car for a few weeks lately aswell with the MAF disconnected as it runs better power wise. Is this similar to your fault SHAMGIT? My car is a 54 plate C220 CDI.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Get it on MB Star diag

Looks like MAF is faulty.

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
Get it on MB Star diag

Looks like MAF is faulty.

Im at work on a nightshift so not had a chance to scan it myself. Ive got good legit Delphi and few other progs for live scanning. Im sure something is gonna flag up when I plug the laptop in ok. Just while Im at work thinking bout it, its doing my head in what it is. When it done it I had a generic scanner in the car so done a quick scan with it but it didn't show up anything on it. Why do you suggest MAF? Could it be something as silly as a choked CAT. Its new ground to me because I have never ever had any of my cars give me starting problems due to me keeping them serviced regularly and forced regens regularly as I don't always trust cars to do a regen automatically like they should (if they have a DPF).

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
This turned out to be a starter problem. The wirring sound was the starter gear not coming out far enough to crank engine over or slipping back a slight few mm. Enough to miss, stop engine from turning over and just the electronics of the starter could be heard. This was a temperature related fault. Lack of lubrication or icicles in the wiring/internals.....not quite sure but just updating this post, it was nothing fuel related.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Ermmm ........what about this then ?

Don't know if my fault is related or not. Just last night and today. When I turn my key to start the car it cranks over no problem 3/4 times then cuts off instantly. No spluttering, no backfiring. It cuts out and I can hear what im assuming is the wirr of the fuel pump spinning down. Weather is absolutely Baltic so im hoping its a tempreture related fault. Ive been running the car for a few weeks lately aswell with the MAF disconnected as it runs better power wise. Is this similar to your fault SHAMGIT? My car is a 54 plate C220 CDI.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
It was nothing to do with fuel pump guys. Was a starter fault. Was a bit confusing at first to locate exactly where the wirr noise was coming from. I did at first suspect fuel but was nothing to do with fuel. Its all been good since. Cheers.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom