W211 lower control arm, can't get torque wrench in?

Rich20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e220 cdi
Ive just fitted some lower control arms, the wis says do not turn the bolt and tighten the nut, the bolts are not fluted bolts, there is not enough room to tighten the nuts with a torque wrench even though the wis tells you too, how do people on hear tighten them? Can I just tighten them from the bolt end with the torque wrench instead and hold the spanner on the nut?

OP
R

Rich20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e220 cdi
Possibly I will have to see how much room there is tommorow, I was just putting them in the way they came out,

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I wouldn't worry too much whether you're torquing the bolt or nut ..... I know it should really be the nut, but ..... Just 'torque' to FT ;)

And have the weight of the car on the suspension as you tighten it up i.e. don't have the wheel suspended as you tighten it up.

OP
R

Rich20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e220 cdi
Couldn't reverse the bolts so just tightened them up at tight as I could with a ring spanner and ratchet in the end,

OK had the wheels aligned this morning after replacing the lower control arms, the best they could get the camber was
FL +1.42
FR +1.49
Is this acceptable?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom