w211 pressure control valve

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
w211 220di 06 reg facelift chassis number wdb 211 0082b009822 its a 125 kw which when converted makes 167 hp (i think ) had code ... y74 come up...
just been up to the stealers for a pressure control valve for my sons car ,i may have got one a year ago for my car same model part was about £85....merc say that it isnt sold seperat any more it comes complete with the rail ,best part of £400, anyone got any ideas if the part is still available from anyone else......
i wonder if the part i fitted to mine was the sensor at the front of the rail.is that what they call the flow control valve which may come separate ?

thanks in anticipation, for any help you can give me and my son....

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Looking on EPC, that appears to be the case. "NLA No longer available order range of delivery"

646.821 does not show the valve seperately on the diagram.

You will have to find the part number on the part itself and see if you can source it via ebay etc.

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
if i can find one is it a straight foward job to replace,
i think the one on the front of the rail, the flow control valve ,looks like its just a 20 minute job ,
when it came up with code y74 i am assuming that that is the one at the rear of the rail.
the pressure control valve.
.but grasping at straws could the one at the front affect the rear one,

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if i can find one is it a straight foward job to replace,
i think the one on the front of the rail, the flow control valve ,looks like its just a 20 minute job ,
when it came up with code y74 i am assuming that that is the one at the rear of the rail.
the pressure control valve.
.but grasping at straws could the one at the front affect the rear one,

The one at the front of the the rail is the rail pressure sensor. (b4/6)
The one on the front of the pump is quantity control valve (y94)
The one at the rear of the rail is the pressure regulator valve. (Y74)

Should be able to unscrew, replace and reconnect, should be straight forward, not sure on access to it in situ though.

Where are you getting that you need to change Y74?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wis doesnt actually give instructions on how to replcae Y74, which normally means they did not intend it to be end user replaceable, so keep that in mind, it may not be 100% trivial to replace.

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
Wis doesnt actually give instructions on how to replcae Y74, which normally means they did not intend it to be end user replaceable, so keep that in mind, it may not be 100% trivial to replace.

went in to independent merc man at ulverston,near barrow in furnace,
had a couple of injector seals don to avoid la

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
went into independent merc man at ulverstan near barrow in furnace
had a couple of injector seals done to avoid black death also a crankshaft sensor because of starting problems,
the indi read the codes and up came y74 pressure control valve....starting is now good but loss of power this morning after leaving motorway,it did not go into limp mode ,and it corrected itself a couple of miles later,
just dont like the idea of giving the stealer £400 for a sensor complete with the rail,
am seeing the pressure control valve on ebay for between £50 and a £100 qwid,
does anyone know any were, in the uk or safe on the continent to buy from,,,estonia seems to come up on a regular basis but dont fancy the gamble.... thanks for your help

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
you will see part number of valve on valve body, look for ebay 2nd hand or breakers yard... it is not difficult to change just MB service rippers idea sell whole rail assembly as a single part... it was changeable in older engines like OM61X series. There were few cases where o-ring of valve was broken and caused extra leak/fault of valve. When replacing valve be careful not to cut that seal in installation.

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
The part number for the rail and pressure control valve is.
Da 646 070 03 95
There is a rail on ebay...The last 4 numbers are 02 95 any ideas.is it a initial one and the 03 95 is the latest
Mercedes wanthe 410 qwid

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
Going to purchase a pressure control valve from wreckers. ..when car was in merc indi they came up with code y74 .they fitted crank shaft sensor did 2 injector seals and advised leak off pipes renewal and a fuel temp sensor...went home car ran reasonably well.next day started okay. On a 40 mile run went into limp 3 times.must have been pcv .low pressure. Used icarsoft when home. Still got y74 but now got extra codes.could these have been activated by y74. ...
They are
227c m55 inlet port shut off
22c7 alternator limbus
Any help is appreciated

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
M55 is very common limping culprit... check that intake manifold flaps are moving when revving, otherwise it is flap motor itself. Lotsa info found on forum.

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
update...rail complete with sensors from wreckers now fitted,seems to have sorted code y74
m55 is still coming with inlet port short to ground,i am going to sort out flaps,will most likely go for tying them back,
another code has come up now ..203D...A16 knock sensor,no sensor signal, do you get at that one from the underside
any help would be appreciated,will keep updating until i have a satisfactory conclusion, its important to get all information on here for the benefit of others

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good result that.

Your car won't have a knock sensor so double check that code definition.

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
got an inlet manifold £90 complete from morgans breakers,at guisborough,..i used the site breaker link, it didnt take much cleaning so was happy with it
got my man to fit it today,
not an easy job..about 7 hours he charged me £140 labour.
he had to get it off from above and below,everything is very tight and restricted,
i understand the v6s are a lot easier,, have given it a run up the road,warmed it up to correct working temp then gave it some welly,drove well ,a lot more poke .will get back on here after a longer run,
while car was up on the lift got a look at the.... atf to cooler pipes....definitely leaking just below the rad,it seams that this is where they all have problems,this will be why its dropping out of gear as the fluid gets low,will give more news after its had a good run,,

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
i purchased a dip stick and some ATF from ebay,,did a dip ,nothing showing put in 1ltr of.... febi 29449.....that gave me a show on the bottom of the stick in the cold area...noticed a small puddle of ATF on the front tray in the area of the pipes going to the side of the radiator....went out and gave it a 25 mile run,drove perfect a lot more power with the replacement inlet manifold,,the gearbox worked beautifully,car drove a dream.. just before i got home the car started to drop out of gear,due to get the pipes done on thursday,,all being well that will be the end of my transmission problem and the end of this thread..hope it is useful to others,,thanks to anyone who contributed....

OP
S

SHAMGIT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2008 220cdi
back again,,,,,,, cooler pipes have been fitted.
another problem with gearbox,,used carsoft and came up with error codes,
7222 can signal target actual gear is implausible,,,,

23ce trans control fault 8,

23c2 trans control fault 11

is this to do with the electric plate ,
could it have been damaged because of low fluid level.
any replies would be greatly appreciated..

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Seems like a typical Merc money pit to me,
they really aren't the cars they used to be when they have some miles on them.

That icarsoft is giving you some strange codes especially the knock sensor one, get it on a MB Star machine, it is the only thing that has guided tests and programming capabilities, makes other diagnostics stuff look like toys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom