w211 rear wiper

A

andrewharvey

Hi I've just picked up my first Mercedes....a W211 320 CDI sport estate.
The rear wiper doesn't work but the washer does.
The fuse is good (fuse 7 in the rear box) does anyone know what relay drives the motor before I strip down the tail gate trim........or does anyone have an idea what this problem maybe......broken wire in boot shut....??
Thanks
A

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Find the plug at the motor, disconnect, add 12v to correct terminals.
If works suspect wiring or earth

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A broken wire in the hinge area is common for this fault

OP
A

andrewharvey

Do you have any idea which side of the tailgate the cable for the wiper is? Colour....
How do I remove boot trim.....any specific tools or shall I dig around at it?
I have run BM's for years and this new machine will take some time to understand.
Many thanks
A

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can send you the detail of the trim removal you will then see what side the cables are on

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address please, use a + in place of @

OP
A

andrewharvey

fluxusoffice+sky.com
thanks
A

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK and sent :D

WindyH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI estate
The rear wiper on my 58 plate S211 stopped working recently. You know how when you wash the car and lift the wiper arm up, there's always a few degrees of play in it. Mine felt rock solid and I guessed that it was seized.

I removed the tailgate trim and disconnected the 3 wire plug. The brown wire is neg earth, can't remember the other colours but one is 12 volts pos, the other the 12 volt pos trigger pulse. Having disconnected the wiper motor from the cars wiring, I put two wires from a 12v 7Ah alarm battery to the motor terminals. There was a clunk from within but no movement of the wiper shaft.

I took the wiper motor assembly out and opened the plastic cover over the gearing mechanism. It was seized solid and full of brown dust. The steel wiper drive shaft was seized solid to the inside of the nose of the alloy casting. I struggled to turn it with mole grips!! I found a breaker on ebay with a 56 plate estate and got a s/h motor for £65 inc delivery. Fitted it and all working perfectly now. And the wiper sweep is a lot faster than mine previously was, so there could have been friction there for a while. Why this should be on a four and a half year old otherwise trouble free car I don't know but the seal around the top of the driveshaft must have been faulty/missing. You'll probably have to replace the four larger tailgate trim clips (2 on each sides) but only a couple of quid from your dealer.

Does the 'rear wiper on' symbol light up in the speedo display? It should be on permanently when the rear wiper is on. Mine just pulsed in time with the intermittant switching- this may be a clue?

I did a search regarding the rear wiper on this model on both this and t'other forum and found nothing, so I don't think it's a common problem?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Windy for that info :D:D

OP
A

andrewharvey

Hooray
seized solid....dismantled.....freed up...re-greased...assembled - worked first time!
Oh that feels good!
Where is the pin switch for the light unit mounted in the estate boot lid?
I removed the trim and the light unit was not illuminated when the boot was open so I guess a switch somewhere is furbarred...?

WindyH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI estate
Light will only work when it's dark, same as the door courtesy lights.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another nice thread, and thank you Windy

OP
A

andrewharvey

just another quicky Malcolm can you confirm which side the alarm siren is on please? Id hate to dismantle the wrong side.....
A

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nearside I hope

cbrman747

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/Diesel
I can send you the detail of the trim removal you will then see what side the cables are on

Hello, I have a similar problem on an E320 DCI W211 estate windscreen rear motor stopped working. Could you possibly send me the trim removal diags please? Email address is henry.braganza+gmail.com

Grover2000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270/2003/2.7_CDI
could some one kindly post the trim removal details or point me in the right direction, so that I can investigate the same problem that is mentioned in this thread for S211?

Thanks in advance

Grover

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom