W211 suspension error code

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
I have just had a rear air suspension unit changed (NSR) and now I'm getting the following error code:
5345 Y36/8y2 (Right rear Level Control Valve): Inter Turn Short.

Can anyone suggest what this might mean please?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
I have just had a rear air suspension unit changed (NSR) and now I'm getting the following error code:
5345 Y36/8y2 (Right rear Level Control Valve): Inter Turn Short.

Can anyone suggest what this might mean please?

Update: since changing the nearside rear unit the car is about 1cm higher on that side. It hasn't altered over the 2 days since the work was done and it doesn't change when the engine is running, so I don't think there can be a leak on the rear offside.

It seems the system isn't setting the ride height the same on both sides - hence the error code I guess. Does this help anyone suggest the fault/remedy please?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The code suggests sensor failed or short in wiring.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
Thanks for the reply, i will get the garage to check the wiring. Are the sensors difficult to acquire?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
Garage can't find any electrical fault. Apparently the OS unit isn't responding i.e. not pumping up and isn't going down but that side is around 1 - 1.5 cm lower than the NS.

Is there a control valve (electrical/whatever) within the air units that could have been affected by fitting a new NS unit?

Really struggling to identify where the problem lies. The garage seem to want to fit another new air unit to the OS but as it's clearly not leaking that doesn't seem logical to me?

Any suggestions please?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Yes, its common, these should always be fitted in pairs.

The air is taken from the central reservoir and has likely overworked the bellow trying to keep the car level, or has been starved of air itself because the other side was leaking.

Also the suspension needs to be jounced properly and filled correctly using star.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
Thanks Steve. Are you suggesting that deflating then re-inflating might fix it?

It seems strange that this warning/error didn't show when the leaking side was causing the car to run around 3cm lower.

What would your recommended course of action be from here (incidentally the unit replaced was a like for like from Aerosus, so haven't mixed types)

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
It could do. But no that isn't my suggestion. I am saying it was probably weak with extra pressure on it from the other side sagging that it too has now given up. Perhaps lifting the car off the floor has caused it to fail?

Either way, any sprung weighted suspension component should always be replaced in pairs unless its hydraulically controlled.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
thanks again Steve. my concern now is the error code seems to refer to the control 'block' on the rear axle - isn't that what Y36/8y signifies?
Could it be that we replace the OS air unit and still have this error code or do you believe it refers to the level valve inside the top of the air unit?
Sorry for persisting with questions but I don't want to end up replacing one part after another before finally finding the 'culprit' - been there before!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
I really need to know which component(s) the above error code relates to, can anyone tell me please?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
All that it is telling you is the valve won't lock, presumably because the airspring can't hold any pressure, or fill in time.

Trying to diagnose the car over the net is also tricky because you don't have access to star. If the car was in my workshop right now it would be simple to clarify, because I would follow the guided test, which from memory is a fill time of the airspring and look at the actual values of the system. If there was any doubt then I would smoke test the lines just to check for a leak.

If this is above the comprehension or ability of the workshop you are using then I would seek out an Indie who can help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
Followed advice and had the OSR unit changed as well. The error message has now gone but I've noticed that after being parked for a day or more, the OSR is 1cm lower. It rises again when the engine is started.

Ant suggestions what else might now be wrong please?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 CDI Estate
thanks again Steve. I haven't been able to get to a garage due to poor health but over the last 2 days the car has dropped about 2cm on the nearside and about 6cm on the offside. This is surely not a Star setting causing this is it?

Top Bottom