W211 : What front springs

malloryn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class / 2007 / 2.2 CDI
Car : W211 2007 220 CDI Avantgarde estate

One of the front suspension springs has snapped and I went looking for a replacement in EuroCarParts.
They listed several with no description as to the difference.
There is a three band colour code on the springs, yellow, yellow, green.

Does anyone know which spring to get?
How do MB dealers compare in price?

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,

I had a spring snap on my S211 Avantgarde a few years ago.
I bought it the replacement from the MB dealer. It wasn't too dear, guaranteed to be the correct size and they could get it next day.
I only replaced the broken one. The car was perfectly level afterwards and the other side was still on the original when I sold the car a couple of years later.
If you do get it from the MB dealer, I suggest that you either bring in the original to show them or a photo of it. The store man was about to order the wrong one for me until I showed him a photo of the original.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
They should be colour coded. Search for a couple of paint bars on the coil itself (or the opposite coil).
If not, ask Lostkiwi nicely and he will calculate your correct spring!

OP
M

malloryn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class / 2007 / 2.2 CDI
They should be colour coded. Search for a couple of paint bars on the coil itself (or the opposite coil).
If not, ask Lostkiwi nicely and he will calculate your correct spring!

Yes it is colour coded, three bands, yellow, yellow, green

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Yes it is colour coded, three bands, yellow, yellow, green

That all depends on the exact specification of the model, which is why 'one size DOESN'T fit all'.
Give your registration to your MB dealer, and he will look up the data card and tell you which spring you need.

I recently changed a snapped spring on my CLC, and there were several different spring specs made for this model. It needs to be right, especially if you're only changing the broken one.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ what he said - I saw the spring calculator/configuration tool and frankly it'd be easy to get it wrong !!

neilio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 estate
Car : W211 2007 220 CDI Avantgarde estate

One of the front suspension springs has snapped and I went looking for a replacement in EuroCarParts.
They listed several with no description as to the difference.
There is a three band colour code on the springs, yellow, yellow, green.

Does anyone know which spring to get?
How do MB dealers compare in price?

I changed mine today. 2 yellow and 1 green stripe. Fitted them myself. Bought genuine from my local Mercedes dealer. £60.60 each.
I was pleased with that price.,

neilio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 estate
I changed mine today. 2 yellow and 1 green stripe. Fitted them myself. Bought genuine from my local Mercedes dealer. £60.60 each.
I was pleased with that price.,
Apparently the colour banding is to do with the weight of the vehicle and the load it can take. Just tell the dealer what colour bands you have and your cars registration. It's that simple.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Apparently the colour banding is to do with the weight of the vehicle and the load it can take. Just tell the dealer what colour bands you have and your cars registration. It's that simple.
Not for all models....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom