W212 - 7 different diesel engines?!

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
Hello people,

Looking to buy W212 2014/2015 (facelift) e220 saloon diesel. There is just one thing - I cannot get my head around why there are so many different engines with different specs - I found 7. I tried to look for a pattern, but no luck. MPG varies both ways not depending on the year, also 0-60 times, bhp, emissions. Same car - 2.1L e220 2014-2015. Can anybody smarter than me assist please? :)

Thank you!

From Autotrader.co.uk:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Probably due to different options fitted.

Wider wheels and tyres for AMG Lines will affect consumption & acceleration.

Different options will affect the weight. The heavier the car the more CO2 it will produce with the same engine.

Etc etc.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Probably due to different options fitted.

Wider wheels and tyres for AMG Lines will affect consumption & acceleration.

Different options will affect the weight. The heavier the car the more CO2 it will produce with the same engine.

Etc etc.

This ^^^^^^

The only difference in the 2.1CDi is the level of power from 200 - 220 - 250

Just make sure it has Leather, COMAND and ILS

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
That makes sense - AMG has wider/bigger wheels. I just checked Autotrader and none of the AMG models have 74 or 76 mpg extra urban compared to SE models.

But how come they have different bhp? 175 and 177 ?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
I am at a bit of a loss as well on that one. Had that issue as well when I was looking around for my E350 CDI (Satan comes out at the mention of diesel). You have the old version with 231hp and whatever torque, then you have the 265hp with the same torque as the 231, and then you have the 265hp with the increased torque, which is what mine is.

However looking on wikipedia for example (I know, don't shoot the messenger) there are only versions of the 642: 231 and lower torque and 265 with increase of torque. No middle ground.

Best part is you can find all them 3 configurations in 2011 cars.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
That makes sense - AMG has wider/bigger wheels. I just checked Autotrader and none of the AMG models have 74 or 76 mpg extra urban compared to SE models.

But how come they have different bhp? 175 and 177 ?

One is quoting 177ps which is 174.6bhp. The other is quoting straight bhp

There probably isn’t an option to change the bhp to say ps on Autotrader. Having never sold a car on there though I don’t know if that’s 100% the case. Or the seller is being idle.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
As you can see per screenshots above, they al are BHP, none PS.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
As you can see per screenshots above, they al are BHP, none PS.

Read my comment again.

I said they are quoting ps. I also said that there probably isn’t the option to change the bhp box to ps on the advert.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
I was interested in hybrid, but apparently you can only drive a mile or so on battery and its very weak - if you press accelerator a touch harder, diesel engine will kick in.

What else is different SE vs AMG, except front bumper and wheels?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Speak to John Laidlaw. He had a E300 if my memory serves me. He will be able to answer.

I thought it was about 20miles. But it’s not something I’ve looked into. I’ve only ever had a C350 Diseasel and my current E250 Diseasel.

AMG vs SE. Standard trim levels are different. I can’t categorically say what.

But as an example SE might get halogen headlights lights and AMG gets Bi-Xenon or LED.

Intelligent LED Light system was an option for both. But is different (and better) than standard LED.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What is COMMAND and ILS?

COMAND - COckpit Manangement ANd Data system - essentially a fully integrated entertainment/navigation/telephone system.
ILS is Intelligent Lighting System which will dynamically redirect light patterns on the road ahead depending on what sensors see coming.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
Thanks, messaged John. I have heard some people say AMG suspension is quite firm compared to softy ride on SE?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
COMAND (Cockpit Management and Navigation Device). Fancy satnav.

ILS - Intelligent light system. The lights swivel for cornering, beam gets longer at motorway speed. Stuff like that.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
Thanks, sent John a message. I`ve heard some people say AMG suspension is quite firm compared to soft ride on SE?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Thanks, sent John a message. I`ve heard some people say AMG suspension is quite firm compared to soft ride on SE?

It’s not proper AMG suspension. AMG line is slightly lower I think (someone more knowledgeable will confirm) but that’s about it.

Only a proper nuclear missile AMG gets the fancy suspension. Unless you find one with Airmatic.

The wheels and tyres make more of a difference. AMG Line have wide wheels with low profile tyres.

My E250 has 245/40/18 front and 265/35/18 tyres rear. Pressures are quite high to take into account the lower profile. This has more of an effect on the car at low speed round town etc.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
I`m aiming at max comfort and best fuel efficiency. That means I should not get AMG line model.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Max comfort would be

SE Wheels, Airmatic and multicontour seats.

Don’t be overly reliant on the MPG quotes. In reality you will struggle to achieve those figures regularly. The 220 in any guise will give you decent MPG.

OP
D

Driveroo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
Not a single E220 on Autotrader with airmatic. Multicontour seats - do you have picture of them?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom