W212: e350 cdi 2010 model, rear window frame bar has rust bubbles...

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Well it was a while ago ..............
and iirc it was more to show its replaceable
and iirc only available from MB.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i've got a quote from mercedesbenzofnewcastle (on ebay) for 36 GPB per side, that's an insane price (imho) for crappy quality frames that are sub-par to begin with...i'll order them and try and get my car looking half decent again.. this is what it looks like now.
IMG_5531.jpg IMG_5532.jpg

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Funnily enough I had the black high gloss trim on the front door damaged and when asking for a quote the guy said they were plastic trims.

Maybe they have been changed or he was wrong but plastic makes sense to me as it’s lighter and cheaper I guess.

My car is an S212 E350

Robin

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Funnily enough I had the black high gloss trim on the front door damaged and when asking for a quote the guy said they were plastic trims.

Maybe they have been changed or he was wrong but plastic makes sense to me as it’s lighter and cheaper I guess.

My car is an S212 E350

Robin

What year is your car?
Mine is 2011 and they're definitely metal

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
yeah they are metal, i thought someone said before that they are aluminum, but whatever they are they are bubbling and look like ****, and they are getting worse, if the front ones start going the same way i'll be extremely ****ed off,

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
On a side note, a friend of mine showed me this same corrosion on the A pillar trim on his 2015 C220d.....

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
those part numbers you posted are w211 from what i can see, and my car is w212... i found this https://workshop-manuals.com/mercedesbenz/e_63_amg_sedan_(212.077)/v8-6.3l_(156.985)/body_and_frame/doors_hood_and_trunk/doors/rear_door/rear_door_window_glass/rear_door_window_glass_weatherstrip/component_information/service_and_repair/ but does anyone have a 'clear' version of this particular guide so that I can attempt it myself, the 'rot' or rust or whatever is way worse now than when i originally posted and i'm considering selling the car now, and want to clean it up

If you still service it at a main Dealer they will change that under Mobilo 30year corrosion warranty.
And yes they do honour it!

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you still service it at a main Dealer they will change that under Mobilo 30year corrosion warranty.

Really? When mine went in for main dealer service and I mentioned the bubbling on the trim, they quoted me £48 just for the trim piece, didn't ask about fitting costs

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Not always as simple, they will look at it and first make sure that there is no external damage, take pics and then discuss it with their warranty people. I'm getting a similar panel done tomorrow at MB.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Really? When mine went in for main dealer service and I mentioned the bubbling on the trim, they quoted me £48 just for the trim piece, didn't ask about fitting costs

You have to ask the main dealer for a Mobilo claim.
In my experience, 2 claims on an A Class ( all done immediately ) and my sisters claim on an S Class wheel arch minor bubbles. The key is to go to a Main Dealer who has its own body shop.

As long as its not had bodywork stuff done at a non MB Approved Body shop its painless.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Not always as simple, they will look at it and first make sure that there is no external damage, take pics and then discuss it with their warranty people. I'm getting a similar panel done tomorrow at MB.

Quite, sorry I should have said, naturally there cant be any external damage.

A tip get the B service done, ... where they are supposed to note any damage to bodywork. Then claim
Ta Da ... no report of damage on the service advisory ... ergo Of course its not had damage ;)

Naturally any panel with external damage is excluded ... but then one shouldnt even try it on!

This warranty really does work provided you are honest and have a decent Dealer.

Conversely my experience in recent times, say last 10 years; of trying to get anything done under “unofficial sympathetic warranty” is completely fruitless!
Dont even waste your breath. Its over 3 years old forget it.

In the early days say more than 10 years ago, Mercedes were absolutely fantastic.
My boss had a new timing chain replaced gratis with 70,000 miles and 5 years old.
We had the gearbox controller module ( big job take out gearbox ) on the A Class replaced free of charge at 26,000 miles must have been. 8 years old or more!
My argument was a Mercedes with full service and Mobilo 1 every 5,000 miles should make 40,000 miles without major engine or drivetrain failure. They agreed!

But those days are now long gone :(:(
Mercedes is now a mass produced car in their opinion. Not my words ...theirs, when I kicked off big style when the Third! New SL500 R230 boot seal leaked in under 3 months.
My point being they knew they had a problem, as it wasnt masticked! They even had a documented fix, yet the production line still churned them out, with an inbuilt fault.
Course they replaced the seal!

Call me fussy, but when (as with one) you find and inch of water in the boot on a 2 week old car, that costs £80,870 imo thats just not good enough.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
My rust would have been there for a long while and nothing was reported, I even asked the previous owner. They are replacing the panel tomorrow, hopefully a quick job.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have to ask the main dealer for a Mobilo claim.
In my experience, 2 claims on an A Class ( all done immediately ) and my sisters claim on an S Class wheel arch minor bubbles. The key is to go to a Main Dealer who has its own body shop.

As long as its not had bodywork stuff done at a non MB Approved Body shop its painless.

I'll give it a go.
Got to worth a try at least

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i got the spare parts from mercedes (you can see the part numbers if you are interested) however when i unboxed one and held it up against where it's supposed to go, i can see the i probably have to remove the door inner card and more to fit it, does anyone with access to an EPC see if they can find fitting instructions for this part please ?

IMG_5598.jpg IMG_5597.jpg

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Went to main dealer yesterday to see if I can claim for this, and they're putting a request in to Mercedes for replacement under warranty as the car has always been serviced by Mercedes.
Thank you Submariner

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
omg, this SUCKS, I looked at this video on how to remove the door cards... and the inner bits are riveted in place, so if i remove them the need to be replaced, meaning more money, I will contact Mercedes to see if i can send the parts back for a refund.

unless someone here has a really good idea of how to replace this door frame strut... and has tried it already.

could it be released from the top instead without needing to remove the door card ?

rivetted.png

Last edited:

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got to admit, before Mercedes said they'd consider a warranty claim, I thought about rubbing it down and respraying it after I saw the work involved in changing it out

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i can't believe no one has actually done this job, it's a known issue, surely someone must have simple instructions to follow ? pretty pls...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Went to main dealer yesterday to see if I can claim for this, and they're putting a request in to Mercedes for replacement under warranty as the car has always been serviced by Mercedes.
Thank you Submariner

Glad to hear it.
You shouldnt have a problem ... cos it should not have rusted! :)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
omg, this SUCKS, I looked at this video on how to remove the door cards... and the inner bits are riveted in place, so if i remove them the need to be replaced, meaning more money, I will contact Mercedes to see if i can send the parts back for a refund.

unless someone here has a really good idea of how to replace this door frame strut... and has tried it already.

could it be released from the top instead without needing to remove the door card ?

View attachment 44602

View attachment 44602

Have you looked on WIS?
One U Tube vid said so e of my amplifier securing brackets were rivetted. Right pain in a difficult position to re rivet them.
Wis showed how to get it out relatively easily ( well I could do it) leaving the brackets in place.

I cant open your utube vid link so cant see what you mean.
But I would be surprised one cant get a door card off fairly simply. E.g my MB body shop do it in 20 mins off and replaced!

The back window on the coupe is a b*tch! Lots of taking out back seat etc. and moving the rear seat upright support to get at a release nut ... holding the back part of the door card ( but its more a side panel than a door card) . :(

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom