1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W213 All-Terrain Run-flats/Spare/Winter options

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Thriftwood, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I have Pirelli Sottzero MO on mine. The reason I went for MO? (They were cheaper :D:p)

2. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    They often are but a more limited choice brand wise.

OP, I wouldn't be hung up on the MO

John Laidlaw likes this.
  3. OP
    Thriftwood

Thriftwood Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 All-Terrain 2017
    You're right I probably don't need them and the manufacturer accreditation has never bothered me in the past.
    This time however I was really after the run flat option and given that the difference in cost (MOE to non) was very small in the total cost I thought I would go with the tyres that (in theory) should work well with the car. I can also say hand on heart that I'm running Mercedes approved wheel/tyre combinations to my car and tyre insurance companies (the latter one agreed to cover winter and summer sets at no extra cost if they were Mercedes approved) I'd certainly be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences of run flat tyres (MO(E) or not) on the 213.

4. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Missed the run flat bit....frankly I avoid anything shod with run flats like the plague, awful things they are!
    You are certainly wise to run OE if the price difference is negligible

5. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    They do make the ride considerably harsher

Absolutely

Goodyear do the Assy 3 in ROF

Front
    https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s4795p135276/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_3_ROF_Runflat_-_245_40_RF20_95Y_RFT_FP_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_71dB

Rear
    https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s4800p151815/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_3_ROF_Runflat_-_275_35_RF20_98Y_(TPC)_RFT_FP_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 3:31 PM
  6. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    The only time that manufacturer accreditation is important is with Porsche and their N ratings. It's a great way to observe how a car has been maintained over the years if it's still on N rated tyres. With more run of the mill cars it's still telling to see how it's shod when you're buying. When I sold my Caravelle it had almost new Michelin's on with the correct 103W load rating, new owner was surprised and very happy. The car was immaculate though even after 5 kids had been at it for nearly 10 years.

7. Monday

Monday Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400 2016, E300 Coupe 2018
    I only recently realised I had runflats on a 2018 E Class Coupe (E300). I thought I had damaged a tyre and looked at the markings to cost a replacement and saw the MOE marking. Turned out to be just a washer jammed in the tread but the ride seems fine to me. Evidently came as standard, I didn't order them specially.

8. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Insurance companies are really hot on Porsche ratings as well