W213 All-Terrain Run-flats/Spare/Winter options

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have Pirelli Sottzero MO on mine. The reason I went for MO? (They were cheaper :D:p)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have Pirelli Sottzero MO on mine. The reason I went for MO? (They were cheaper :D:p)

They often are but a more limited choice brand wise.

OP, I wouldn't be hung up on the MO

OP
T

Thriftwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 All-Terrain 2017
You're right I probably don't need them and the manufacturer accreditation has never bothered me in the past.
This time however I was really after the run flat option and given that the difference in cost (MOE to non) was very small in the total cost I thought I would go with the tyres that (in theory) should work well with the car. I can also say hand on heart that I'm running Mercedes approved wheel/tyre combinations to my car and tyre insurance companies (the latter one agreed to cover winter and summer sets at no extra cost if they were Mercedes approved) I'd certainly be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences of run flat tyres (MO(E) or not) on the 213.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Missed the run flat bit....frankly I avoid anything shod with run flats like the plague, awful things they are!
You are certainly wise to run OE if the price difference is negligible

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They often are but a more limited choice brand wise.

OP, I wouldn't be hung up on the MO
The only time that manufacturer accreditation is important is with Porsche and their N ratings. It's a great way to observe how a car has been maintained over the years if it's still on N rated tyres. With more run of the mill cars it's still telling to see how it's shod when you're buying. When I sold my Caravelle it had almost new Michelin's on with the correct 103W load rating, new owner was surprised and very happy. The car was immaculate though even after 5 kids had been at it for nearly 10 years.

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
You're right I probably don't need them and the manufacturer accreditation has never bothered me in the past.
This time however I was really after the run flat option and given that the difference in cost (MOE to non) was very small in the total cost I thought I would go with the tyres that (in theory) should work well with the car. I can also say hand on heart that I'm running Mercedes approved wheel/tyre combinations to my car and tyre insurance companies (the latter one agreed to cover winter and summer sets at no extra cost if they were Mercedes approved) I'd certainly be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences of run flat tyres (MO(E) or not) on the 213.

I only recently realised I had runflats on a 2018 E Class Coupe (E300). I thought I had damaged a tyre and looked at the markings to cost a replacement and saw the MOE marking. Turned out to be just a washer jammed in the tread but the ride seems fine to me. Evidently came as standard, I didn't order them specially.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only time that manufacturer accreditation is important is with Porsche and their N ratings.

Insurance companies are really hot on Porsche ratings as well

al bondigaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi Estate 2006 (S211) | E500 4.7 Bi-Turbo Cabriolet 2012 (A207)
I spoke with Mercedes Support in MK and thye sent me a guide for all the Wheel and tyre combinations that are approved for all the 213 cars. The winter approved wheels are 8Jx19 Offset 38 with 245/45 102XL tyres. The only MOE rated tyres in this size that I could see (there may be others that I missed) were Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. Total cost for new wheels and tyres was indeed in that region (remember to add the TPMS sensors too) AlloyWheelsdirect.net were very good. The ride is also quite acceptable IMO and doesn't seem noticeably harder or noisier than the standard setup. MB MK recommendation for pressures is the same as the standard 20"summer tyres. FYI I drove a 213 estate (AMG not AT) with standard? 20" wheels and Michelin MOE tyres and the ride in that seemed quite acceptable too. Given that, I will probably move to MOE summer tyres when the current ones reach the end of their life.
Ps The Pirelli winter tyres are also available in MOE to fit the standard 20" wheels which would save the cost of a new set of wheels.

Did you get the 19" wheels and tyres? If so, are they noticeably better?

I'm considering buying an AT but am a bit concerned by the "crabbing" reports on full lock at low speeds on the 4Matic cars. I am led to believe that it is the combination of large wheels and low temperatures that cause it. Apparently the fix is smaller rims and winter tyres in the cold season.

If that is the case then I'd budget to buy the car and an extra set of wheels & winter tyres.

OP
T

Thriftwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 All-Terrain 2017
I went for the 19 inch ones as they are the Mercedes recommended option for winter tyres. TBH I don't really have a lot to judge them against but the 19 inch wheels with the run flat tyres don't seem to have a significantly worse ride than the original 20 inch with standard tyres. That said they to occasionally seem a bit crashy over some pot holes but for the vast majority of driving the ride is very good. I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks which is suppose to coincide with some snow so I'll be able to see if they're really worth having then.

My car still scrubs its front wheels on full lock even with the 19" wheels and TBH I'd assumed it was a 'feature' of the front end geometry - it's irritating but the only time I really notice it is parking on gravel. Normal road use is fine with only the tightest of turns showing any issue. I'm not sure why the smaller diameter wheels in this case (it's the same tyre width and only 1/2" extra tyre depth) would make a big difference unless it's related to the compliance of the taller tyre wall and I've probably undone any good that may have done by fitting the stiffer walled run flats.

If anyone has any insights as to how to ease the scrubbing then please chime in.

Ps its a lovely car and I'm very pleased I bought it - The latest one with the more powerful straight six must be brilliant.

al bondigaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi Estate 2006 (S211) | E500 4.7 Bi-Turbo Cabriolet 2012 (A207)
Very useful info - thank you.

As you say it might be the stiffer walls of the runflats negating any gain. I saw a post on the other UK MB forum from someone who went from 20" + summers to 19" + winters, non-run flats and he reckoned that the scrubbing had gone. That was on an E63 4matic - so same chassis and drivetrain.

I have a gravel drive which involves lock to lock reversing to get on to the road so I was trying to figure how much it would annoy me!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If you’ve still got scrubbing with the winters on then the only other thing you could alter is tyre pressures. Normally winters will be inflated higher to maximise tread contact with the cold tarmac or white stuff. You could try dropping a couple of psi to see if that helps. That may help day to day.
Just remember to carry some sort of inflation tool to take them back up when you’re in Scotland if it’s snowy...

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The biggest problem with any space saver tyre is what to do with the tyre you take off? Suddenly theres a huge wheel with a 285/35/19 tyre to fit into a boot that's already full of luggage.
Got a space saver on the SLK with 18" wheels. You can't get the 18" road wheel into the boot.
Fortunately never had a flat yet!

OP
T

Thriftwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 All-Terrain 2017
John
Thanks for the info. I'll try experimenting with the pressures a bit and see if it helps. I didn't realise that the pressures should be different. Mercedes customer care said to use the same pressures as the 20 inch standard non run flats but I'll try a couple of psi each way and see if it helps. If I'm honest it not a big problem but I found it odd as I'd never experienced it on any other 4wd that I'd driven.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom