W215 battery drain, fuses located

berki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2002/5.0
Hi,
Have had an issue with my battery draining so went to Maplin and bought a car current tester, fuse ammeter. They sell one with article number N48CY for I think it was 13 pounds in case someone else needs one.

By checking each and every fuse I have now located a few where there was a current 2 where it looks like I might have an issue, see below for fuse followed by amps.

F23 1.06 (seems very high)
F13 0.06
F41 0.11 (also seems elevated)
F58 0.05
F74 0.01
F77 0.04

Bit of a longshot, did anyone have the same issues and on the same fuses and what could it be that needs replacing? Also, going on holiday tomorrow and driving to airport so a bit scared that I will come back to a dead battery. However, if I pull F23 and leave it out I guess the risk of coming back to dead battery is lower?

Should also add that I went and checked battery and actuator and all is fine there.

Thanks

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
my 216 had a battery drain and it turned out to one of the comfort items not going to sleep ( malcom aka television correctly diagnosed it from my description on here ) so i'd try getting it on star first to make sure everything goes to sleep after the car is locked , mine had a 0.7v drain and killed a perfectly good battery in under 7 days

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
I think this fuse is for the A/C control circuit 30 so this could indicate a fault with the A/C unless something else is keeping it awake.

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
It can take at least 30 mins for the various systems to go fully to sleep. Did you wait before taking the measurements?

There'd be no harm in pulling fuse 23, if that's actually the problem. Circuits covered by the fuses you mentioned are:

F23 10A automatic temperature control, AC blower motor

F13 40A adjustable mirror - left, auto-dimming mirror - exterior, driver seat - adjustment, driver seat - heating, entrance lights, exterior mirror - indicators left/right, folding exterior mirror, front passenger seat - heating, heated mirror, interior mirror - adjuster, power locking, power window - driver seat, power window - passenger seat, power window - rear left, power window - rear right, remote closing and locking - trunk lid, remote release - trunk lid

F41 20A auxiliary heating, heater booster (diesel engine)

F58 7.5A Keyless Go

F74 40A cigarette lighter - rear left/right, entrance lights, power locking, power window - rear right, rear headrest – adjustment, rear seat - adjustment, rear seat - heating

F77 40A Anti-theft alarm system, auto-dimming mirror - interior, dome lamp, driving light sensor, garage door remote control, interior mirror - adjuster, interior motion sensor, make-up mirror, rain sensor, reading lamps, sliding/tilting sunroof

The usual culprits for current drains are the door controllers and the seat controllers.

OP
B

berki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2002/5.0
Thanks all. I did wait indeed but when I pulled fuse F23 and put it back in again the dash lit up but shut back down again after as little while.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This need care, up to 08-02 fuse 23 is for the climate control and circulation pump and duo valves and rated at 10 amp.

As of that date it is a 7.5 amp fuse for the comand system

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
If it is for the COMAND then this is a more common cause of battery drain. Usually removing the fuse causes the memory in the COMAND to be lost as it is the permanent live feed to keep it.

OP
B

berki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2002/5.0
Thanks, It is indeed something to do with climate control when I checked the fuse diagram that was in the car. Let's see if it starts now after 1 week of no driving.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom