W216 CL500 Groaning noise LH side

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I seem to recall sub banging on about filters in his 216. I'm sure there's one there.

fast28

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55-conversion (R129) & CL63 AMG (W216)
Guys. By the looks of it, the front accumulator (A2213270215, item 125) seems to be the main item being the main filter for the hydraulic system.

The one for the rear (A2213280015, item 140) is more just a reservoir (swirl chamber) and it's the front one that does the main filtering.

I can get one for just shy of £160 so I'll give that a go and replenish the system with new hydraulic fluid. Very easy to do if it's anything like my old W215 CL... Simply lift the vehicle using a 2-post ramp (all four wheels hanging), remove the damper, fill new damper with fluid, fit the damper then bleed the system.
To bleed I simply add a long flexible hose the the reservoir return hose and stick it in a bucket, then run the engine allowing the old fluid to be dumped in the bucket whilst topping up the reservoir with fresh Pentosin until what comes out of the return hose is clean. I then repeat the process with the car on the ground whilst raising and lowing the ride heights.
I have many litres of Pentosin CHF11S in stock too!

Regards Will

View attachment 46255

These are the pressure accumulators for the front and rear axles, nothing to do with filtering. The pulsation damper is mounted on top of the ABC pump. The filter is attached to the screw cap on the reservoir.

If you've ever experienced pulsation damper failure on a w215 then you'll hear a whining sound which will rise and fall with engine revs while the car is in Park or Neutral, on the move the engine and road noise usually drowns out the sound.

I too get a whining on my W216 and it sounds like bearing whine to me, I can't repeat it with the car stationary so I suspect something in the drivetrain. I suspect the propshaft or differential pinion bearings.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I too get a whining on my W216 and it sounds like bearing whine to me, I can't repeat it with the car stationary so I suspect something in the drivetrain. I suspect the propshaft or differential pinion bearings.

what's it like with AC off
what's it like between S and C at low speeds (under 25mph)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Guys. By the looks of it, the front accumulator (A2213270215, item 125) seems to be the main item being the main filter for the hydraulic system.

The one for the rear (A2213280015, item 140) is more just a reservoir (swirl chamber) and it's the front one that does the main filtering.

I can get one for just shy of £160 so I'll give that a go and replenish the system with new hydraulic fluid. Very easy to do if it's anything like my old W215 CL... Simply lift the vehicle using a 2-post ramp (all four wheels hanging), remove the damper, fill new damper with fluid, fit the damper then bleed the system.
To bleed I simply add a long flexible hose the the reservoir return hose and stick it in a bucket, then run the engine allowing the old fluid to be dumped in the bucket whilst topping up the reservoir with fresh Pentosin until what comes out of the return hose is clean. I then repeat the process with the car on the ground whilst raising and lowing the ride heights.
I have many litres of Pentosin CHF11S in stock too!

Regards Will

View attachment 46255

Part 10 is the fluid reservoir with filter. The spheres are for your ride and comfort.

125 is the pulsation damper...and is likely responsible for the noise.

OP
Will Barber

Will Barber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CL500 (4.7L M278)
Tomorrow evening I will be making an ABC bleed service tool on my lathe so I can renew the fluid at the same time as the new pulsation damper is fitted this weekend.

I will post a separate topic on how to make one, with a detailed drawing so if anyone wished they can have a go at making one themselves. I see they are available but well over £100. I can make one for about £4 on my lathe. It'll just be a spun aluminium tube, with a recess and O-ring at one end. The other end will allow a common ½" bore hose to be connected to it.

Will keep you updated, and I will also do a step by step illustrated process of the bleeding the system.

Regards Will

clk200

Reaction score
Website
www.synergy-motors.com
Your Mercedes
w124 E320\E36
Tomorrow evening I will be making an ABC bleed service tool on my lathe so I can renew the fluid at the same time as the new pulsation damper is fitted this weekend.

I will post a separate topic on how to make one, with a detailed drawing so if anyone wished they can have a go at making one themselves. I see they are available but well over £100. I can make one for about £4 on my lathe. It'll just be a spun aluminium tube, with a recess and O-ring at one end. The other end will allow a common ½" bore hose to be connected to it.

Will keep you updated, and I will also do a step by step illustrated process of the bleeding the system.

Regards Will
Did you resolve the noise in the end?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Seems the OP has not been on a while. Send him. a PM

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Filter is same part number as older cars. Mb want you to buy a new reservoir.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom