W219 CLS 320 CDI Errors / Warnings / Problems

jmr87

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w219 320 cdi
Hi guys recently bought a faulty w219 that wouldnt start. Diagnosed it as the crank sensor, popped the new one in and it fired straight up.

The car hadnt been driven for months before I bought it, todays the first day i got chance to take it on a quick test drive.

After the first couple of minutes I noticed a string of warning messages, in no particular order I saw the following:

Run flat indicator inoperative
ESP Warning/Malfunction
ABS Malfunction visit workshop
Dipped beam bulb (no biggie)
Active light system fail (probs related to the above)

Its the first 3 that worry me - also at slow speeds the steering goes really heavy, as if the power steering isnt working, but it works fine at normal speeds, you can feel the assistance.

Finally (probably all related) the gear selector wont shift to reverse after its been in drive, you have to turn the engine off so the selector moves freely, then start it in reverse - it then moves into drive fine after reversing, its almost like the gear selector gets locked. I’m pretty sure this could be related to the ESP daft errors but please help with common faults etc!

PS. the car shifts out of park fine, drives fine and the gear changes are nice and smooth.

Many thanks in advance.

The car is a CLS 320 CDI

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The errors about Run Flat, ABS and ESP are probably down to either the steering angle sensor needing calibration or a bad ABS sensor.

The gear selector sounds like it's faulty. It shouldn't be possible to start the car in reverse.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
I have also had issues with error messages for ABS/ESP on cars that have had a low battery voltage - as you say it hasn't been driven for a few months. Charge the battery, reset the codes and see if they return.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom