W220 headlights poor

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Nah I like the French.
I like their attitude to life.
You want to do that? Fine. Don't blame me if you kill yourself. Health and safety as it should be.

You need to add The Gallic Shrug to that ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Where does the tool tray go then?

It (just) sits on top. Bit of a squeeze but it works. The can even has a foam pad to stop squeak and rattle.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I just asked someone what she thought of modern LED lights on cars. "They are dangerous, they just blind you. It’s always a Mercedes."

I was surprised she had the wherewithal to notice, then as she was driving me back from the shops last night she goes,” there’s one, that’s a bl***y Mercedes, its always Mercedes“

I thought to myself don’t be stupid ! you wouldn’t know a Suzuki from a Bentley. Then as we got closer..... it was a Mercedes

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Funnily, last night, with this thread still in my mind I was 'noticing' cars with LEDs which dazzled momentarily, and out of 11 cars 10 were Audis, and one Jaguar.
Many cars have bright lighting, but those above did seem to stand out as being annoying at about 30yards down to about 5 yards.

It may be interesting to see what happens once they start to require MOTs?

Does the panel think that they will pass, (as they must be ok under legislation) - could it be that many require adjustment? (Not set perfect at factory?).

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Does the panel think that they will pass, (as they must be ok under legislation) - could it be that many require adjustment? (Not set perfect at factory?).

With so many normal people, able to see the terrible defects of these nasty poorly made LED lights (which are clearly causing issues for other road users). Sadly I suspect they will go straight through an MOT. As I mention in an earlier post, clearly the whole design, testing and E marking is a pathetic waste of space. So I can't see why the MOT would flag anything.

I think it was craig earlier who said something about xenon's, yes, there was a fair bit of noise when these were the new technology 20 years back... I could never get why, as no manu fit std xenon has been anything but a tremendous improvement with no dazzling or light leakage I've ever spotted. But these latest crop of manu LEDs make light houses and solar flares look like an incandescent 5w sidelight running off a flat 6 volt battery.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With so many normal people, able to see the terrible defects of these nasty poorly made LED lights (which are clearly causing issues for other road users). Sadly I suspect they will go straight through an MOT. As I mention in an earlier post, clearly the whole design, testing and E marking is a pathetic waste of space. So I can't see why the MOT would flag anything.

I think it was craig earlier who said something about xenon's, yes, there was a fair bit of noise when these were the new technology 20 years back... I could never get why, as no manu fit std xenon has been anything but a tremendous improvement with no dazzling or light leakage I've ever spotted. But these latest crop of manu LEDs make light houses and solar flares look like an incandescent 5w sidelight running off a flat 6 volt battery.

You do realise the light source (halogen/ HiD/ LED) within any given lighting engine (reflector/ projector) is independent of the quality of beam pattern of that lamp, right? Point is, it isn’t “EEBIL LEDS BLIND US ALL RARRRRRRRR”.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I'm not sure the point of that post?

of course I get great reflectors put the light where you want it and nasty ones don't. PIAA ones on my evo were great. I also get good bubs produce a better light source for reflectors to then do their bit...

My issue with LEDs coming from the manufactures of VAG, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan and most of the rest is they are just atrocious rubbish with light leaking away from what undoubtedly is quite a good beam cut off FOR THE DRIVER on dip beam....

About this time last weekend I was saying to the owner as we drove his Passat.... why on high beam do I have a curtain of light that reaches 30 foot above the road... I have NEVER seen that on any other light unit that was pointing roughly in the right direction (above 10 foot is a waste of light).

Oh and like my 335d the self levelling on his Passat was of the ridiculous instant variety that attempts (badly) to correct even the most minor ripple in the road. All it ends up doing is leaving you stranded. As the type of bump / pitch of the vehicle changes with the severity of the bump and or the vehicle speed to the point where its behind the current attitude of the vehicle and is trying to correct something that's already moved on to the complete opposite of what its was trying to correct. All that happens is you end up with dancing bulbs and light in the wrong places.... dazzling others and stopping you seeing where you are going

This ridiculous over ambitious and out of its depth self levelling is not something I see or have seen in my S class, my Omega nor any Volvo I've ever driven

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom