W222 S Class owners - has it gone wrong much?

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C220d amg line premium 2017
Hi,
I would like to ask W222 S class owners how their car has behaved from a fault point of view.

What type of things have gone wrong?

Many thanks!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
not sure we have many here. at the price they paid probably still paying for a warranty ?

OP
T

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I came badly unstuck with a W221 which was 8 years old when I got it. After the Mercedes used approved warranty ran out it never stopped going wrong with some very big bills!

I figured if I got a two to three year old W222 with average mileage it should be much less risk.
The used Mercedes warranty costs £1495 to renew provided you stay below 60K miles (£250 X/s).

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Go for an E350CDI they are very reliable.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I don't own one, but see enough of them to know that we mainly do servicing, general maintenance and lots of software updates on them!! Apart from that, they are good cars. The 221 was a decent model too, surprised you had so many issues. Using a dealer never helps the pocket. A good indie will keep those in tip top nick for half the money.

OP
T

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Steve. I am struggling for an indie in this region - South Yorkshire Sheffield/Rotherham region.

I guess software updates are done at the service?

Any advice on the Mercedes extended warranty - Am I correct that it is as good as the original 3 year warranty when new?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I really like the w222 and may have a look at one when its time to replace Malcolm but it wont be for at least another 12 - 18 months

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thanks Steve. I am struggling for an indie in this region - South Yorkshire Sheffield/Rotherham region.

Any advice on the Mercedes extended warranty - Am I correct that it is as good as the original 3 year warranty when new?

I am sure there would be a recommendation for an Indie from someone on here in your area. If not, it can pay to travel to a trusted source from this or another forum.

Personally, I charge for software updates and are not part of any routine service. I do check for updates at service though as well as a STAR test to see if there are any potential faults in there.

With warranties, I am not a fan of them, although it has to be said the MB Tier 1 Extended warranty is fairly good when it comes to pay out, but you have to have it maintained at a main dealer, which is then an extra cost on top. I am always of the opinion that if you buy a warranty, if you never use it, its money wasted. But if you put the cost of the warranty into a separate account, and never use it, it still yours! If you need to spend out on a repair which is outside its usual maintenance replacements then its accounted for. Either way, its entirely up to you, both who you decide to use to maintain your car and what gives you the most peace of mind, but thats always my advice, and of course I am biased towards independents!

Also, if you have any one repair which exceeds £1550 then you have been pretty unlucky IMO.

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg

I use Europa in Sheffield. Autherised MB centre so you get the mobilo as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
+1 for Steve's advice. When you add a little for Main dealer servicing, the warranty is two grand a year. If you have the discipline to put that money aside, it will probably pile up nicely and dwarf the costs of service and repair over the next five years.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom