Want constructive help in selling my CLK

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Hi there,

I have advertised my CLK several times now and hit a blank.

Not one single phone call, or e-mail that wasn't a scammer trying to get me to send their shipping agent money.

Ebay barely got going, my car getting no-where near the reserve, and other, far lesser models fetching more money!

What on earth am I doing wrong - it's such a nice car, no rust, LPG converted, fully loaded and so on - so why am I getting no offers.

The only thing is the price - am I asking too much - but then where else will you find a fully loaded facelift W208 CLK with LPG and around 80K???????

Is anyone else having a terrible time trying to sell their car?

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
What is your asking price? Is it competitive with similar models?

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
The only thing is the price - am I asking too much - but then where else will you find a fully loaded facelift W208 CLK with LPG and around 80K???????

Is anyone else having a terrible time trying to sell their car?

There is your problem.

LPG devalues a car big time.

Someone who is buying a nice W208 CLK wants to have the impression its been cherished and loved and money has been no object...
LPG systems are a strong indication that the owner was tight fisted with this car trying to run it on a budget.
Also there are other issues around LPG such as the quality of the install and system, future diagnostic issues, servicing of the system... the list is long.

The only time LPG adds any value is when its fitted to a 4.0 V8 land rover.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just re-listed with Autotrader - as soon as that's live I'll post the link.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...radius/1500/postcode/bs296ht/page/1?logcode=p

Impossible to say if I'm competitive with other cars like mine - there aren't any like mine.

I can't find another low mileage LPG equipped 320 to compare it to - there are some with stratospheric mileages, but no others under 100k as far as I can see.

Last edited:
OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey - I never thought LPG would be a problem!

It has a Prins system, the best in the world and it cost nearly £2300 to fit....

It runs perfectly on Petrol and Gas and i've never stinted on it - I merely wanted to keep fuel costs under control (in reality I've done so few miles in her since the fit that it hasn't paid me back, so wish I'd not done it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!).

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Yes its unfortunate... whenever ive had a car with LPG, ive priced them cheaper than the average without LPG and they have still taken long to sell.

I always advise people that only install LPG if YOU are going to benefit from the payback fairly quickly.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's mental - how can a car WITH LPG be worth less than WITHOUT???

Just run it on petrol if you're an idiot! Surely there are people wanting to run these cars but don't want to spend a fortune on fuel.

But if you are both right, and she's worth less with LPG than without I'll take her off sale and run her into the ground, because she'll be worth nothing really...

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Would it be feasible to remove the LPG system, either for sale or for use on another car, and sell the system and the car separately?

As you say, a well specced 208 with only 80,000 miles should sell easily.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know.

I guess I could - but the cost may be a bit prohibative? If it costs me £500 to remove it, then I may as well take the hit on the sell price...

Then it would cost me another £500 - £800 to have it re-installed, so that's £1200 which is pretty much what I can get a new LPG system for.

I guess though you've hit nail on head - it's unusual - so for that reason be prepared to sit and wait and wait....

I've dropped the price now to £4250 and I'd take the first offer over £4k that comes my way - I think that's stupidly cheap for what the car is - but with 2 kids now, and 2 other cars in the family it is just not needed...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You may be right.

The car you list isn't really comparable (No AMG alloys, no COMMAND no heated seats, no xenons etc - a pretty basic spec) but it's from a dealer I guess.

Just to add, mine has full boot space, this is a proper conversion with the tank properly in the spare wheel well not one of the bodges with a tank in the boot.

I do take the point as to someone getting a 270CDi though - although it will cost a fair bit more to run, it's the "safe" choice and perhaps with a better resale.

Perhaps I need to re-assess the price - I'll see what interest I get this time

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I guess the logical next question is "So how much is it worth?"

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
Although the CLK in M80's link may have a few less extra's than yours, its still up for £2500 and from a dealer.

There are early 209 diesels with 100k for a few hundred more than your asking price. Probably the main reason why no one is showing intrest.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the harsh reality is I need to lower the price - but come on gentlemen - to what??

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Yea, sadly its way too much money, LPG aside.. CLK's are not well loved cars, and you could get 430 for £2kk, you could get a 55AMG for your sort of price. The low milage and options should make it sell easier than others, but doesnt add value, and your price s putting poeple off big time. Plus, anyone who wants it for LPG reasons is looking to save money, and there are plenty of LPG merc for £1k-£2k.. so even if they are nt a CLK they will go there 1st as they are cheaper.. You will either need to accept waaay less, or just run it into the ground, thats what im doing with my c240 LPG.. its worth a fortune to me, but nothing much to anyone else

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I think the harsh reality is I need to lower the price - but come on gentlemen - to what??

And please dont think I was being rude with my post!

But to put it another way at £4k advertised price I wouldnt pick up the phone, for a £2k price I would ring you... £2500.... maybe if I loved the look of the car...

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes, my eBay reserve when I put it on there was £3900 and it got to £3800 but then the winner said he'd already bought something else when I asked if he'd pay £3900....

It's on Autotrader now for 2 weeks - if it doesn't go there, It's going on eBay with a lower reserve, and if it doesn't sell there then as you say it's an into the ground jobbie it's worth well over £3000 to me - even if not to anyone else!

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None taken!!!

No I know you weren't being rude.

However I have to say, if an offer didn't start with a 3 then i'd simply not consider it.

Galling because I've only done 8000m in 3 years and the car cost me £5k + £2300 for the LPG - so it owes me £7k really (I realise you can't look at it like that)....

Even so, I thought a 7 year old merc should keep it's money better than that - I mean for £3k you aren't looking at a lot of car in the Ford / Vauxhall way of things, and this car knocks spots off any of them....

Perhaps someone will come on here asking about buying a nice CLK for under £4k but is worried about running costs!! lol - send em my way if they do!

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
None taken!!!

No I know you weren't being rude.

However I have to say, if an offer didn't start with a 3 then i'd simply not consider it.

Galling because I've only done 8000m in 3 years and the car cost me £5k + £2300 for the LPG - so it owes me £7k really (I realise you can't look at it like that)....

Even so, I thought a 7 year old merc should keep it's money better than that - I mean for £3k you aren't looking at a lot of car in the Ford / Vauxhall way of things, and this car knocks spots off any of them....

Perhaps someone will come on here asking about buying a nice CLK for under £4k but is worried about running costs!! lol - send em my way if they do!

Is this a recent post or 4 year old as a 51 plate car is 11 years old not 7.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom