1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water filter...

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by John Laidlaw, May 24, 2018.

1. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    had one a few months now, filter media is still good...it has definetely reduced the water marks on those occasions where I have left the car to dry naturally and not towelled off (which isn’t often to be honest, can’t stop the habit of using the microfibre towel!) but , certainly on obsidian black, you will still see water marks unfortunately....

2. Morethanpolish

Morethanpolish Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Kompressor
    What you may actually be seeing is dust that has settled in a windy day in the beads of water on your immaculately waxed car.

If the resin media is still good and producing 0ppm water, there will be no water spotting until the media passes its sell by date

3. Graveworm

Graveworm Member

Your Mercedes:
    AMG E63S 4Matic + Estate 2018
    I tried my new one for the first time today, took a lot of rush out of the process and seems to make a big difference. Only time will tell. But so far I am pleased.

4. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Think its more a factor of ..
    Its not quite 0ppm clean.

But if Johns water is anything like ours, even if it was 5ppm .that would be a true blessing.

5. OP
    John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    I bought the hardness tester now - arrived a couple of days ago
    My unfiltered water is around 260ppm, through the filter it’s 8ppm so a huge difference ( putting in context I have a huge American style Samsung fridge freezer with ice maker and filtered chilled water and that’s testing at 116ppm
    So the race glaze filter is definetely very efficient
    I take on board what race glaze have said regarding settled dust and moisture and I think they may be right. I live next to a railway and it’s also tree lined so there’s dust everywhere

Submariner1 likes this.
  6. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    I think its the 8ppm.
    But thats not being critical, 8ppm is a HUGE REDUCTION from 260ppm
    If I were a mfg. I would be proud my kit could do that!you are probably taking a few spots here and there, and even those would be the dust like spots not the baked on drip runs we get here.

Note where I cant get around fast enough with the blow dryer, just removing any residue left is the very fine dust stuff, which is no where near as “adhesive” as the ‘left it to dry off stuf” that would need claying to remove.

rorywquin likes this.
  7. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 with lots of fruit
    I sometimes drive my car to dry it (after a good wash and also to dry the brakes) but get dirt marks in the low pressure areas (viz. where the wind is not blowing the water off and road dust sticks to the water - generally on the boot and back end) but it does not seem to etch and cleans easily.

If it is ambient dirt settling (seems likely) into the (filtered) water, a bit of quick detailer will clean that up and it wouldn't etch.

I've been a bit lazy recently and have been using the 'high pressure rinse' on those coin machines at the petrol stations. Inspite of my "products", I've noticed water marks where the water evaporates before it blows away. Polishing (Carlack 68) does remove it (with lots of elbow grease) but I have recently tested a patch with a clay mitt and it works like a dream removing the marks. I will use the same process as I did for for my wife's car (new product test bed ;-) ) ....Rinse, foam, wash (using foam), rinse, foam, clay mitt (using foam), rinse...beauty products....I'm not a two bucket convert....I rinse thoroughly, foam and use it to wash while rinsing the cloth in a bucket and then rinse again....no swirls scratches etc but my car is never filthy.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018