Wax/Finish for New Car

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Collinite looks good. Looks very similar to the P222 stuff I use. It's actually a bit cheaper too. I guess any high percentage carnuba wax product is what you're after. As I said above, it's much easier to apply than normal polish as it's just wax. So no scrubbing. Just wipe on, wait a few mins and wipe off. Interesting on the above comment though. There's no dust whatsoever with P222.
I use 2 cloths, one to get the bulk off then another to buff. Dead easy, and as I say, I apply it to the whole car so rubber, plastics as well as paintwork, I've even used it on glass - not the screen though!.

Provided it's applied to undamaged paint it should seal in the shine, provide good 'beading' and last.

I've just done the Freelander. To be honest it would have been better to get the paint swirls out first but I wasn't happy to do it myself and no budget for a detailer at the moment. They were obvious to me but then I was looking from a few mm off the surface with a bright light so perhaps I was being a bit picky.
Step back a few cm and they're invisible. A coat of P222 and the car looked like it had just rolled out of the showroom. Really brought out the metallic in the paintwork - they seem to have put different colour flecks in (silver, gold, blue etc) so it's a really nice, top end, black paint job when it's in the sun. I went a bit mad and put 4 coats on the bonnet. Doesn't look much different to the 2 coats elsewhere but it should provide a bit more protection. Anyway, its so easy to apply - why not?

I've also re-done the Merc but then that looks good with 2 weeks of road grime on it!
Still, nice watching the rain bead and roll up the bonnet on the A64 yesterday!

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I went a bit mad and put 4 coats on the bonnet. Doesn't look much different to the 2 coats elsewhere but it should provide a bit more protection.

Had a discussion with one of the top detailers in Glasgow a couple of years ago regarding how many coats of wax should be applied. His answer was that no more than two coats, the first coat covers most of the paintwork, the second coat covers anything you missed with the first coat. If you apply a third or fourth coat it doesn't do anything because when you buff it off it actually comes off and the wax doesn't finish up any thicker than if you only applied two coats. This test was done in a laboratory under strict testing conditions.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Had a discussion with one of the top detailers in Glasgow a couple of years ago regarding how many coats of wax should be applied. His answer was that no more than two coats, the first coat covers most of the paintwork, the second coat covers anything you missed with the first coat. If you apply a third or fourth coat it doesn't do anything because when you buff it off it actually comes off and the wax doesn't finish up any thicker than if you only applied two coats. This test was done in a laboratory under strict testing conditions.

not strictly relevant, but I remember as a young soldier the best results were got from a minimalist approach - not allowing too much polish to build up on the boots or too much blanco (most Forum members will need to Google that!) on the webbing. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
not strictly relevant, but I remember as a young soldier the best results were got from a minimalist approach - not allowing too much polish to build up on the boots or too much blanco (most Forum members will need to Google that!) on the webbing. :D

I was grade 4 and not wanted :( but as the post above polish on polish is no good, these days there is little if anything to seal as all cars a machine painted, all you need to do is to try and stop the dirt from sticking to the paint.

As for new car polish and half of the others, I think all just means of taking your money, and short of doing test in laboratory conditions I do not think there is much difference in most of them, X uses colinite, I use Mc quires.

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
The selling point for the nano sealants is that they seal any imperfections in the paint making the surface smooth and dirt doesn't stick (or at least comes off when it rains or is hosed). Longevity of treartment is also the selling point although it appears that this varies; I have two friends who have had a nano treatment to their cars and it appears to be going strong after a couple of years without them having to wax their cars and with dirt coming off easily. Now this is what prompted me to investigate having the treatment to my new car and then being prepared to start waxing when the nano treatment wears off.
If I wax instead of having the nano treatment, will the effect of easy cleaning etc be the same?

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
If you are still looking, I have tried most of these treatments, including a very pricey and complex one from Zaino and in my experience jewelultra diamondbrite is the best. I still use it. You can buy it on ebay (you need stage 1 and stage 2) and it is v easy to apply. I left bird**** on my wife's car for a week and it wiped away without a mark (unlike Zaino after half an hour....). Hope this helps, Regards, Peter

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
If you are still looking, I have tried most of these treatments, including a very pricey and complex one from Zaino and in my experience jewelultra diamondbrite is the best. I still use it. You can buy it on ebay (you need stage 1 and stage 2) and it is v easy to apply. I left bird**** on my wife's car for a week and it wiped away without a mark (unlike Zaino after half an hour....). Hope this helps, Regards, Peter

Thanks for this post. How long have you found that the diamondbrite lasts? Does it give a decent gloss and does the dirt fall off it?

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
polish

i used ultra seal on my last merc when it was new 2yrs ago very impressed with it water still beading on it yet someone on this forum recomended using it very easy to apply and rub off

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Does not this depend on what the bird had for dinner Peter, we have sea gulls down here by the thousand, some dropping set like glue and others you can just dust it away

gjlelec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500SL 2006, 5.0L CLS, 316 sprinter 2014
I'm a great believer in trying as many as possible. You can name any product and someone will love/hate it. Today i used Collinite 915 on some panels and tried Dodo juice "light fantastic" on others. Personally i found the Dodo juice slightly easier to use and that it gave a more glassy liquidy finish that i was after. The colour was Titanium Silver, a difficult colour to make jump out at you IMO but very happy with the Dodo Juice (btw i put both on top of an oil filled rad the night before use- seems to help)

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
I'm a great believer in trying as many as possible. You can name any product and someone will love/hate it. Today i used Collinite 915 on some panels and tried Dodo juice "light fantastic" on others. Personally i found the Dodo juice slightly easier to use and that it gave a more glassy liquidy finish that i was after. The colour was Titanium Silver, a difficult colour to make jump out at you IMO but very happy with the Dodo Juice (btw i put both on top of an oil filled rad the night before use- seems to help)

same here i also love to try out as many as possible and particularly like trying getting really good results from not so premium products. dodo light fantastic and its companion purple haze is one of my all time fav and they are so soft you dont really need to place it on top of oil rad, i apply them with my bare hands sometimes.

coliinite is also really good at protection and placing it on top of oil rad certainly helps as its tricky to apply. Happy Detailing!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The car I have just bought was Star Guarded and the paint is awful, it needs claying and polish it is so rough!!!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The car I have just bought was Star Guarded and the paint is awful, it needs claying and polish it is so rough!!!

sounds just like mine when i bought it years ago, the star guard was so bad i took it off and asked for a refund, only £100 at the time as they contributed to it but i'm certain i wouldn't have it again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My new SL has Starguard and the finish is wonderful, I do not know when it was applied. I polished my CL with Autoglym resin, and then the carnuba wax.

I am very happy with the way that has held up and the SL now done in the resin, just got to wax it now. Is there that much difference in all these things. I do have polishing machines but never use them, and my cars do not need claying.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I will try that one thanks, do you use the wax on top.

I haven't but will be in the future, need to sort the paint first so I will be ordering a new Meguiars Clay set to do it with then UDS and may get some AG Wax

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom