Welcome to the DIY-Discussion sub-forum

tomv

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The adminmobile.
Welcome to the DIY-Discussion sub-forum (PLEASE READ)

This will be the place to make comments on guides that have been written and to request new DIY guides.

The main DIY forum has a restricted list of users that may make posts, which will help keep it neat and tidy. This forum is open to all registered users.

If you have written a DIY guide that you would like to see in the DIY forum, you may post it in this forum and ask a mod to move it over for you.

Finally, if you spot a thread somewhere else on the forum that you think deserves to be in the DIY section then make a post in this forum and if a moderator agrees they can go ahead and move it.

Last edited:

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Whoo hoo :)

I for one would like to be able to post DIY threads.

I'm doing the delivery valves from my IP shortly, that'll be one for this place.

B

br1anstorm

DIY forum - a couple of thoughts on how to post

I'm more likely to be a reader than a writer of DIY guides or forum posts. Having explored and searched other forums already for DIY advice on my SEC and my other cars, can I suggest that it might be wise, at an early stage, to have a pretty rigorous rule on how to title each entry in the DIY forum - mainly so that, as the contributions accumulate, it is still possible to search/navigate to the info you need.

Seems to me the key thing is to have a consistent format for the titles, so that a search shows up all the relevant posts. At a minimum the title needs to include

i) which model(s) - and there needs to be a policy decision on whether to use the factory ref (W114, W126) or the showroom ref (500SEC, 200TE...);

and ii) which part of the vehicle the advice relates to - engine, gearbox, suspension, electrics etc.

For example, a DIY forum post on "W126 - bodywork - rear window seal" is probably a lot easier to identify than one which is simply titled "How to deal with leaky boot"!

Apologies if this is teaching forum moderators to suck eggs - but the suggestion is intended to be helpful: the DIY pages already show a random variety of styles!

br1anstorm

svetor

Reaction score
DIY rules!

First of all - the DIY section is a great feature which I am sure I will spend a lot of time reading and, who knows, perhaps even contribute a little bit (just finished cleaning the throttle body on my E280 '93, took some pictures of the process as well).

Second of all - to quote br1anstorm :

I'm more likely to be a reader than a writer of DIY guides or forum posts. Having explored and searched other forums already for DIY advice on my SEC and my other cars, can I suggest that it might be wise, at an early stage, to have a pretty rigorous rule on how to title each entry in the DIY forum - mainly so that, as the contributions accumulate, it is still possible to search/navigate to the info you need.

Seems to me the key thing is to have a consistent format for the titles, so that a search shows up all the relevant posts. At a minimum the title needs to include

i) which model(s) - and there needs to be a policy decision on whether to use the factory ref (W114, W126) or the showroom ref (500SEC, 200TE...);

and ii) which part of the vehicle the advice relates to - engine, gearbox, suspension, electrics etc.

For example, a DIY forum post on "W126 - bodywork - rear window seal" is probably a lot easier to identify than one which is simply titled "How to deal with leaky boot"!

Apologies if this is teaching forum moderators to suck eggs - but the suggestion is intended to be helpful: the DIY pages already show a random variety of styles!

br1anstorm

.. I agree with every word ! :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i put up one in the fuel section about changing the tank strainer on a w210 diesel saloon. dont think it was ever moves so either no one saw it, or it was below the required high standard! :lol::lol::lol:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
A text only DIY is very hard to follow, especially for us armatures, with pictures every thing becomes self explanatory and greatly reduces the amount of text needed.

A poor or badly written DIY is always of some use and better than non at all.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i put up one in the fuel section about changing the tank strainer on a w210 diesel saloon. dont think it was ever moves so either no one saw it, or it was below the required high standard! :lol::lol::lol:

Please find it Pete

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A text only DIY is very hard to follow, especially for us armatures, with pictures every thing becomes self explanatory and greatly reduces the amount of text needed.

A poor or badly written DIY is always of some use and better than non at all.

Dec

Yes you are right,,we cannot put all faults in the DIY,,where is the line and who decides

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
there was pics on mine (ok only thumbnails) and i had 2 do it in 2 parts so i could get the pics on. i will have a look for it now Malcolm.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom