What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
i130n I believe Carl

Correctamundo! It seems to cover all sorts of bases remarkably well. For their first punt, it appears a well thought out, and well engineered car. Particularly like that you can adjust steering, throttle, suspension, diff & exhaust independantly of each other - had it set up for quick road use... ie sensible suspension... and it's a bit of a weapon tbh. Feels pokier than 271 bhp.

Hmmm.....

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Just finished giving the car a quick bath and dry ready to go over to Jimmy's festival for the day. I really need to give it a clay, polish and wax but just not enough time and with the heat at the moment just can't bring myself to do it.
Almost finished off the G3 detailing spray I had for the past couple of years so going to have to consider replacements soon, do like the sound of Sonax but I like to be different so may go do a few searches on what else might be onthe same level.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Lovely drive up to Snowdonia in the CL.
Will be trying the A470 today on the way to Portmerion, (it’s a very scenic road used quite a bit on Top Gear etc, will have to get some nice photos! It’s also where the Mach Loop is, which is the RAF low flying area, there is a point where you can go sit on the hillside and look down as the aircraft fly beneath you along the valley :)

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Correctamundo! It seems to cover all sorts of bases remarkably well. For their first punt, it appears a well thought out, and well engineered car. Particularly like that you can adjust steering, throttle, suspension, diff & exhaust independantly of each other - had it set up for quick road use... ie sensible suspension... and it's a bit of a weapon tbh. Feels pokier than 271 bhp.

Hmmm.....

Question is though. Without looking at it through the first drive blinkers. Could you live with it day to day?

And more importantly......can you map it?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Question is though. Without looking at it through the first drive blinkers. Could you live with it day to day?

And more importantly......can you map it?

I think that's the bit that surprised me most Carl - when you knock it back to Normal or Eco, it genuinely felt like a normal, solid, family hatch. Not bad for road & wind noise either. Auto rev-match seemed oddly intelligent too - seemed to recognise when you were going to do it yourself and leave well alone.

Negatives - stereo is a bit basic, with weak sound. (I'm not a volume/bass freak... just like nice tones/quality); no sunroof option, and heated seat option only just come out so won't see that on used cars for a while.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I think that's the bit that surprised me most Carl - when you knock it back to Normal or Eco, it genuinely felt like a normal, solid, family hatch. Not bad for road & wind noise either. Auto rev-match seemed oddly intelligent too - seemed to recognise when you were going to do it yourself and leave well alone.

Negatives - stereo is a bit basic, with weak sound. (I'm not a volume/bass freak... just like nice tones/quality); no sunroof option, and heated seat option only just come out so won't see that on used cars for a while.

They would probably be a used bargain as I can’t see them holding value well.

Have you considered a nearly new Golf R?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Not today. But the other day I went on a tour of a distillery. The only one on the island still using the machinery and methods from 1881.

Came out to find some oik had parked his VW next to mine and lowered the tone of the place.... :p

9a1cd3cf857fa93f61841e242da7dae0.jpg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Not today. But the other day I went on a tour of a distillery. The only one on the island still using the machinery and methods from 1881.

Came out to find some oik had parked his VW next to mine and lowered the tone of the place.... :p

9a1cd3cf857fa93f61841e242da7dae0.jpg
What a chav!!!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
They would probably be a used bargain as I can’t see them holding value well.

Have you considered a nearly new Golf R?

The original plan had been a Golf R, but they're everywhere, rarely in the spec I want, and a bit too steep to get a facelift one (Mk7.5).

Looks like the Cupra 300 is out. Despite agreeing day for test drive, manager seems to think it's his personal car so had taken keys home with him (apparently he'd already been given a bowlocking from his director for driving it too much). Can't be dealing with tozzers like that!

On the plus side, new Fiesta ST quite a cheeky drive. The 1.5 3-pot surprisingly characterful, sounds pretty good, pulls well. Bit of a go-kart. Shame (like most manufacturers it seems), that Ford are convinced everybody wants top gear to be a drag racing gear, rather than spacing 5th & 6th (especially) as a cruising gear - 3000rpm at 75-77mph made it a bit noisier than I'd like.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Subframe dropped on the 65, Out with the old rear flex disc and front sub frame bushes, in with the new!:

Wrong flexdisc ordered, so now waiting for parts, again.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The original plan had been a Golf R, but they're everywhere, rarely in the spec I want, and a bit too steep to get a facelift one (Mk7.5).

Looks like the Cupra 300 is out. Despite agreeing day for test drive, manager seems to think it's his personal car so had taken keys home with him (apparently he'd already been given a bowlocking from his director for driving it too much). Can't be dealing with tozzers like that!

On the plus side, new Fiesta ST quite a cheeky drive. The 1.5 3-pot surprisingly characterful, sounds pretty good, pulls well. Bit of a go-kart. Shame (like most manufacturers it seems), that Ford are convinced everybody wants top gear to be a drag racing gear, rather than spacing 5th & 6th (especially) as a cruising gear - 3000rpm at 75-77mph made it a bit noisier than I'd like.

Always liked the idea of a little screaming turbo go kart. Much like the Daihatsu Kei car that Marty on Mighty Car mods is obsessed with.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Always liked the idea of a little screaming turbo go kart. Much like the Daihatsu Kei car that Marty on Mighty Car mods is obsessed with.

To be fair it's not screaming on motorway type stuff. It's just such a shame that given most of these cars now have considerable turbo-torque, they'd happily pull more relaxed ratios in 6th for give & take lane-shuffling, give better mpg and a quieter cabin to boot!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be fair it's not screaming on motorway type stuff. It's just such a shame that given most of these cars now have considerable turbo-torque, they'd happily pull more relaxed ratios in 6th for give & take lane-shuffling, give better mpg and a quieter cabin to boot!

Yeah that is a bit of a pain, especially when 6th really mean to be a cruising gear anyway!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

Do you need 4/5 seats? If not what about a Porsche 911 or Cayman? Clearly wont be new but new car ownership is massively over-rated. :)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Do you need 4/5 seats? If not what about a Porsche 911 or Cayman? Clearly wont be new but new car ownership is massively over-rated. :)

Not worried about new new... Just a bit newer, with some warranty. I'm happy letting other people take hit on first depreciation, teething troubles, etc.

Love Porsche, used to have an old 911 SC many moons ago. 2 seats not a deal-breaker for me (been looking at MX-5s), but running costs on Porkers are above me these days.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Just buy two MX-5’s so you have replacement parts to hand :) you’ll get change out of £6k as well!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom