What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Sanded down the centre air vent fascia, in preparation for a hydrographic treatment*.
I hate the fake rubber coating on plastic parts!

It only ever looked cool for about a month in 1997, and the second something touches it, it's ruined and tacky.
But try to remove it completely, arrgghhh ...

* This will complete the centre console carbon fibre makeover. Not going to do any more interior parts (like side vents, etc) - I think it works best as it is now - pic to follow, once the centre vents are done.
Why oh why do manufacturers insist on it?
Alfa, Porsche, Ferrari and it seems MB too, to name ones I'm aware of. There are companies making a business refinishing this crappy sticky rubber.
I work in IT and am a UNIX Admin. Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) peripheral devices had rubber feet. These were my first experience of melting rubber, they would stick to one another.
I have two sub speakers in my boot (not connected, for use in the house) of my fiancee's son's and they are stuck together with rubber melted feet.
The other day I got out my lens cleaning brush for my camera out and the rubberised handle has gone sticky!

My friend has a concourse Ferrari F355, it's the second one he has had but these are well known for sticky interior trim. That company making a business of it, they charge $1000's (US) to clean it. We found you can do it yourself with either turpentine, white spirit or oven cleaner (actually the best method I found) and repaint/Plasti-dip. Anyway he bought a new ashtray for one of the F355's straight from Maranello. Guess what? Still in the plastic bag and it was sticky.
So it was sealed from the outside air but probably on the shelf at Ferrari for a few years but had gone sticky.

It's crazy and manufacturers need to stop using it!

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I tried white spirit, but MB rubber coating was impervious ... had to sand it off.

I noticed, the later modifications of air vents for the W169 are not rubber-coated: I replaced both NS and OS vents with 2012 model parts. Now the centre vents will be in carbon, and that's the last rubberised piece, gone :)

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I tried white spirit, but MB rubber coating was impervious ... had to sand it off.

I noticed, the later modifications of air vents for the W169 are not rubber-coated: I replaced both NS and OS vents with 2012 model parts. Now the centre vents will be in carbon, and that's the last rubberised piece, gone :)
I used Oven cleaner. Sounds harsh but it worked on two cars. The switches were covered with it and those I was concerned the oven cleaner a bit harsh and used either white spirit or turps (can't recall).
One car was the Alfa and I had little trouble doing it. The centre console was covered in the stuff so obviously it had to come out.
The other car was like my friend's, an F355. That is typically vents, centre console, switches on the console and interior door handles. Also the steering column and lastly the electric window switches too.
My vents were not too bad so I left them. The steering column I never got around too but I still have the odd pair of jeans with black oil like marks on that will not come out from that bloomin steering column.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Gave the 129 a pat on the back for passing its MOT.
Also ordered a new IAT sensor to help make it run better....(fooled the ECU with a fixed value resistor for now:) )

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why oh why do manufacturers insist on it?
Alfa, Porsche, Ferrari and it seems MB too, to name ones I'm aware of. There are companies making a business refinishing this crappy sticky rubber.
I work in IT and am a UNIX Admin. Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) peripheral devices had rubber feet. These were my first experience of melting rubber, they would stick to one another.
I have two sub speakers in my boot (not connected, for use in the house) of my fiancee's son's and they are stuck together with rubber melted feet.
The other day I got out my lens cleaning brush for my camera out and the rubberised handle has gone sticky!

My friend has a concourse Ferrari F355, it's the second one he has had but these are well known for sticky interior trim. That company making a business of it, they charge $1000's (US) to clean it. We found you can do it yourself with either turpentine, white spirit or oven cleaner (actually the best method I found) and repaint/Plasti-dip. Anyway he bought a new ashtray for one of the F355's straight from Maranello. Guess what? Still in the plastic bag and it was sticky.
So it was sealed from the outside air but probably on the shelf at Ferrari for a few years but had gone sticky.

It's crazy and manufacturers need to stop using it!

They have.

There was a big (like, career-ending for all concerned) f***-up in automotive materials science research at a Tier 1 who shall ever remain nameless. They came out with a soft-feel surface finish for plastic parts that was supposed to remain uncracked and not shrink over the supposed lifetime of the car.

Only, they didn't bank on various VOCs leaching out of the soft-touch finish and leaving it as basically semi-liquid Copydex instead. Which is of course what happened.

Now, the materials science direction has moved towards a very fine graining on plastic parts and is currently trying to work out how to prevent them from going shiny with fingertip wear over time.

Whatever was wrong with chromed pressed tin? (Oh yes, cost and mass...)

Andyn666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E320 CDI estate
I replaced my thermostat on my w211 E320 CDI today, its been running at around 60 degree's since I bought it and now it's running how it's supposed to.

If anyone is doing the same job my advice would be to get a oil filter wrench because the bottom bolt on the thermostat is almost impossible to get to without removing it. Would have probably saved me an hour if I had had one.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Sat in the dealers waiting area now, about to part with £360 to replace my spare key, it has to be coded to the car (original stolen from a different vehicle, up north).
Don't trust myself with only one key:rolleyes:

Ouch!!!!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Ordered a replacement centre console for the 500. The old one has never locked due to some PO breaking it :rolleyes:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Played with the new HU, connected Bluetooth OBD dongle, changed startup logo to Mercedes star ...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bought the SL a new inlet air temperature sensor. The old one was trying to tell me it was -28 degrees as I stood next to it in a t-shirt....
MB genuine price - £14.20 (without any discounts).
eBay price for non-genuine - £23!
Motor Factor price - £18
MB Online price - £11.74 (plus £3 postage)

Just goes to show its always checking with the local dealer.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom