What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
It goes in for a bit of paint next Monday and as soon as I get it back from there I'm going to take it for a well deserved little drive somewhere.

As it's now "next Monday" the car has been delivered to the painters. It's convenient that they start at 06.00, basically the car's now there, I got a lift back and have the rest of the day free to catch up on work. Apart from the fact I have an appointment in Manchester City centre at 09.00 this morning so I'll be setting off pretty soon to find my way there and get parked up. :(

I've asked the paint shop to have a good look round and let me know if there's anything else which they feel requires attention, though I'm hoping that it will be mainly a bit of touching in and a good MOP after.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Tonight i drove it for the first time in two weeks as i have been using the daughters awesome 107 whilst she has been spending my money in Australia , Vietnam . Thailand , Singapore , Cambodia.

Driven 46 miles in the CLS this month , at least the monthly fill-up on Friday will be the cheapest in a long time.

Kenny

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Replaced the rear right Level Sensor connector rod with the 2 ball joints and the lower Level Sensor Bracket
The old one was rusty ( the last two rusty bits on the car )
IMG_4268.JPG
You can just see the rusty ball joint, and this was the more moveable one!
I had hand painted the outside but thought hell, it doesnt look brilliant and there are only 2 rusty bits on the car left ... do it properly! :):)

When I found the brackets were only £7 ... its no brainer.
Sprayed with 2 coats of hammerite to hopefully make them last longer ... in a rust free state.
New sensor bracket, and new connecting rod
Looks a lot better imo. And they now move like silk :):)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Cleaned up the few suspension nuts with surface rust, and used the derusting stuff, and cleaned the black panelling shroud under the lower arm.
And replaced a couple of mangled plastic push clips on the lower arm panelling
Sadly only managed one side ... thanks to intermittent downpours.

Well got one side done!

Lesson about a car that has been near the seaside for 3 years.
I found the following bolt on items were pretty rusty
ELPB heat-shield
Exhaust Tie bar
Both rear exhaust support hangers
And both lower rear Level Sensor Brackets

Anyway I should be extremely thankful that the rusty bits were only these bolt in parts, and the core body and where they bolted onto was perfect ... zero rust :):):)

I friend who is a chemist said its something to do with bolting 2 dissimilar metals together, the less Noble one gets wrecked! Or was it the other way around.

Its a shame the alloy suspension arms have got that white aluminium surface corrosion but he said it doesnt matter as the oxidarion process stops there. Being me I did rub down one areas about 20mm x 10 mm and he is right ... its just very thin surface oxidation. :):)

Just hoping ai get a couple of dry hours tomorrow to do the other side :):)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Replaced the other Level Sensor and associated bracket.
IMG_4284.JPG

Pulled apart the worst level sensor connector rod ball socket.
The ball is just painted and the rust had severly eaten into the ball.
IMO it is worth greasing these with silicone spray.

FWIW the top ball sockets were salvagable with silicone spray .. both bottom joints were knackered.

Cleaned up all the suspension nuts and put on the anti rust stuff.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
Updated the Sat Nav maps to 2017/18 on the 2011 Audio 50 for the first time since new by the look of it. I bought the update DVDs from MB Grangemeouth and althought there was a hiccup with the wrong ones being supplied the first time (on info provided by MB), they replaced them without quibble and the new ones worked without a hitch. It didn't ask for a PIN or licence number or anything...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Looked out of window, said you ain't getting cleaned to-day, chucking it down !!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Looked out of window, said you ain't getting cleaned to-day, chucking it down !!

Dry up here for a change so I cleaned both of them.

Did the white one this morning while I had an hour to spare, though it took a good bit longer as I'm still trying to get a decent few coats of protection on it.

Then I got the 190 back from paint. Stunning job but cleaned to their standards and not mine, so that was the next one to be done, more dust and watermarks than anything serious. Both rear wings were starting to scab above the Sacco panels, so stripped, ground down, treated then painted. The colour match is perfect. :)

OSR Wing After.jpg

Oh, and managed to get the V5 back from Swansea for the new one so got my plate back on it. :)

Rear Plate.jpg

I prefer the look, I know others are indifferent towards private plates but I've had this one for years and it's been on every Mercedes I've owned.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I prefer the look, I know others are indifferent towards private plates but I've had this one for years and it's been on every Mercedes I've owned.
Had mine since 1983 Dave, doesn't mean a thing. I've had on all of the cars I have had since that date. Just hides the age of the car. :rolleyes:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Dry up here for a change so I cleaned both of them.

Did the white one this morning while I had an hour to spare, though it took a good bit longer as I'm still trying to get a decent few coats of protection on it.

Then I got the 190 back from paint. Stunning job but cleaned to their standards and not mine, so that was the next one to be done, more dust and watermarks than anything serious. Both rear wings were starting to scab above the Sacco panels, so stripped, ground down, treated then painted. The colour match is perfect. :)

View attachment 38927

Oh, and managed to get the V5 back from Swansea for the new one so got my plate back on it. :)

View attachment 38928

Can we see a full pic of the red 190 .. looks fabulous :):):)

Looks like mine did when I picked it up from Alan Day in Hampstead with 21 miles on the clock :)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
sprayed silicone on the front level sensors, and wire brushed off any surface rust on all the suspension nuts and bolts, and put on the Trustan rust cure ... so any rust turns black until I paint them.

The penalty of buying a car that spent 3 years by the seaside :(

So now rust free underneath, apart from 4 nuts and bolts clamping the exhaust.
Not sure if one can just undo them and put new ones on when the car is not level ... so they can stay :) as is.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Yesterday while out for a drive i spied this...............:shock:

DSC01480 (Small).JPG

In the middle of September, so I put the heating up :D

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Frost is forecast for tonight in some areas :shock:

:( Darn, I wont have my car tonight, got some boxes to collect for the up and coming house move so I'll have my old banger, well at least the heater works :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Not today, but last night had a rather racey drive through MK on my way home. The first time I've properly rallied that CL around, with the ABC in Sports mode it just stays completely flat around the corners. Contenders:

Range Rover HSE Sport 4.0
Chavic R
Leon Cupra FR (diesel)
Vauxhall Corsa VXR

I left everything but the Corsa standing, it was the only thing that stayed even close to me in the corners. That surprised me, I'd have thought the Range would have the legs of me. Surprisingly not, to maybe 45mph but after that the CL just pulled way ahead.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not today, but last night had a rather racey drive through MK on my way home. The first time I've properly rallied that CL around, with the ABC in Sports mode it just stays completely flat around the corners. Contenders:

Range Rover HSE Sport 4.0
Chavic R
Leon Cupra FR (diesel)
Vauxhall Corsa VXR

I left everything but the Corsa standing, it was the only thing that stayed even close to me in the corners. That surprised me, I'd have thought the Range would have the legs of me. Surprisingly not, to maybe 45mph but after that the CL just pulled way ahead.
C of G ??

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
C of G ??
Aero I think, I could hear him booting it as we were side by side for a second or so, then he just fell behind as the CL forged onto no more than 72mph of course. The 215 is a very slippery car, I think as soon as aero effects kicked in the Range just couldn't keep up.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Proper round town driving ;)
These hot hatches are sometimes out classed by big heavy cars, I did a Corsa in my Turbo R a few years ago, he tried desperately to get in front of me, so he waited for the roundabout, that didn't work as the old Bentleys suspension kept it level and once we got on the dual carriageway the Corsa pulled away :oops:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom