Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Gave the 124 a run to Cornwall, Jamaica inn for the night then on to Devon tomorrow......

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Car back from service, and running as sweet as a sweet thing in a sweet shop! Oh how I missed it.

To distract myself from its absence, I took a Focus RS out for a test drive..... Not as brittle as I expected, does put a large smile on your face, and stuck to wet country roads like a limpet with a UHU addiction!

Not as economical in steady state driving as I'd hoped though... :oops:

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
To distract myself from its absence, I took a Focus RS out for a test drive..... Not as brittle as I expected, does put a large smile on your face, and stuck to wet country roads like a limpet with a UHU addiction!

Not as economical in steady state driving as aid hoped though... :oops:

A friend has one, terrible on fuel with a slightly heavy right foot!!!!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
A friend has one, terrible on fuel with a slightly heavy right foot!!!!

Aye, went from Marsh Mills up the A38 at dual carriageway speed, about 10-12 miles, and it just crept to 25mpg indicated.

Had a good play on the back roads (it really is a back-road weapon, and huge fun).

Shame, because it is an addictive drive.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Fitted two Rainsport 3's to the back and it rained.;););)
The cr@ppy cheap tyres she had put on when I got her only lasted 14000 miles and had less then 6mm of tread from new. When the dealer said he'd replace the rears to sweeten the deal I didn't think he'd make them himself. I should have asked for the cash off and got some decent rubber. Though it might not have passed the MOT otherwise. You live and learn. The RS3's are well over 8mm. I will feel a lot safer this winter.

Ordered a new battery from Tayna battries. Had an email from them offering 40% off for one day. Granted it was only on Tudor batteries made by Exide. Including another offer in the end I got a 019 100Ah 900A CCA Eng for £56.85 delivered. I don't expect it to last forever, but if I get 3 years out of it of it I'll be happy.
I checked the voltage on my battery after being left overnight and it was only 11.6V. I have never had any symptoms from the battery, but it is 11.5 years old and Winter is Coming.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
A nice pair will be going on the back of mine shortly!

Best price I could find was Halfords Exeter st on line. Tried black circles etc, but with fitting came out dearer.

It was not just a case of price, my usual local fitter could not get any for at least 10 weeks??

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Best price I could find was Halfords Exeter st on line. Tried black circles etc, but with fitting came out dearer.

It was not just a case of price, my usual local fitter could not get any for at least 10 weeks??

Does seem to change by the minute!

In fairness to Halfrods fitting centre in Exeter St, I had to take a tyre in there a few years ago as they were the only place open on a Sunday - the lad they had in there was really good, really careful with the alloy.

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
You won't regret it!

Had them on the front since pre-JBell era, but they didn't make them in 255/30R19 when the rears were due last time.

How long they'll last on the back of a 63 remains to be seen though... (Although I'll probably not have the car that long).

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Had them on the front since pre-JBell era, but they didn't make them in 255/30R19 when the rears were due last time.

How long they'll last on the back of a 63 remains to be seen though... (Although I'll probably not have the car that long).

I do a pair of rears every 9-10k but with the grip and wet performance along with the price I don't care, the front have done 10k and are barely worn.

I have a pair in my friends fitting place ready to go on this week

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I do a pair of rears every 9-10k but with the grip and wet performance along with the price I don't care, the front have done 10k and are barely worn.

I have a pair in my friends fitting place ready to go on this week

I have been impressed with the fronts. Whatever replaces Beasty will most likely be wearing RS3s on the front before long!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Had a local erk half steal the AMG badging from the boot lid, when I say half steal I mean that the 'M' was damaged whilst the little sh1t was in the process of stealing it. Fortunately only a small amount of paint damage. :(

Picked up a new genuine OEM badge from ebay at £22.95p and fitted it this morning. New badging thankfully covered the small amount of damage and it is now looking good :)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just admit it there is nothing you actually want to replace it with ;)

Aye. Probably why I've dragged my heels since end of March! It just does many things quite well, or very well. And that engine... :D

The Focus RS I suspect is one of those cars that really gets under your skin - I certainly enjoyed the 40 mins playing with it yesterday (the lady that accompanied me was brilliant - basically after 5 mins said "fill your boots!") but not sure it's good enough at the day to day.

Looks like Golf R or S3 Saloon are likely candidates. M240... Still not sure about looks and still yet to see one with an LSD fitted.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom