What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Missed it all weekend, went to Bristol with SWMBO and she drove so had to put up with 2010 A4 2.0 TDi S-Tronic, not a patch on the C in any way, even she admits it

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Used the ‘NASA inspired’ defrost today (been in some newspapers last week)
Engine on, full windscreen defrost mode/HRW on etc
Cabin Recirculation on
Front windows open slightly (this is crucial apparently)
Defrosted in about 4 minutes
- OK today wasn’t a hard frost but enough (1.5oC)
No scraping, no spraying
Interested to see what it’s like in a hard frost

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Used the ‘NASA inspired’ defrost today (been in some newspapers last week)
Engine on, full windscreen defrost mode/HRW on etc
Cabin Recirculation on
Front windows open slightly (this is crucial apparently)
Defrosted in about 4 minutes
- OK today wasn’t a hard frost but enough (1.5oC)
No scraping, no spraying
Interested to see what it’s like in a hard frost

Are the windows on the shuttle electric? :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Are the windows on the shuttle electric? :)
One touch apparently Guy! :coffee:
I love the way these stories give credit to ‘a NASA engineer’...
We have a competitor who continually references ‘NASA inspired technology’, when questioned they go a little silent...(and they don’t publish the Sun in Italy either!!)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
One touch apparently Guy! :coffee:
I love the way these stories give credit to ‘a NASA engineer’...
We have a competitor who continually references ‘NASA inspired technology’, when questioned they go a little silent...(and they don’t publish the Sun in Italy either!!)

I assume anti-trap is standard?

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Gave it a thorough clean yesterday; snow foam, two-bucket method, and lovely to see the water sheeting off - three layers of sealant means it hardly needs drying after washing :D

And this morning replaced the auxiliary battery after 'Auxiliary Battery Malfunction' popped up on the display on Saturday morning... £92 :eek:, but easy to replace, and the old battery was definitely knackered looking at the fur that had grown all round the positive terminal... No more warning messages, so hopefully sorted.

Have a good day!

Nick

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
After a few errands in the sticks last week, thought I'd better give mine an express wash!

Bought some Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax detailing spray on Friday... a quick/light mist on each wet panel prior to drying with a microfibre towel - helps drying process and leaves a lovely finish!

Can recommend it for those quick washes, or when it's too warm for Sonax.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Bought a new (second hand) sump pan for it. The old one has got a hairline crack in it, unnoticeable until I cleaned everything up, so had to be repaired. Hardly leaking but enough to know that it wouldn't repair itself.

I dropped the oil, left it for a day or two to fully drain, then cleaned and sanded it down. Put some JB Weld on it to jam into the crack and cover it which is looking OK and probably preventing it leaking at the moment, though I feel it's just a "sticking plaster" solution. Spoke with a couple of welders who don't really want to know it due to the poor quality of alloy used in the casting and the oil contamination in the crack so, for peace of mind, a replacement it had to be.

I managed to find one in Germany which has now arrived so got new gaskets, O ring and crush washer already to go.

Unfortunately it's going to have to go to a local indie to be done as my arm/shoulder is still not working properly. I hate subbing jobs like this out but want it doing sooner than later as I have a lot more work to do on the car yet and daren't risk lifting anything overhead at the moment. :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Bought a new (second hand) sump pan for it. The old one has got a hairline crack in it, unnoticeable until I cleaned everything up, so had to be repaired. Hardly leaking but enough to know that it wouldn't repair itself.

I dropped the oil, left it for a day or two to fully drain, then cleaned and sanded it down. Put some JB Weld on it to jam into the crack and cover it which is looking OK and probably preventing it leaking at the moment, though I feel it's just a "sticking plaster" solution. Spoke with a couple of welders who don't really want to know it due to the poor quality of alloy used in the casting and the oil contamination in the crack so, for peace of mind, a replacement it had to be.

I managed to find one in Germany which has now arrived so got new gaskets, O ring and crush washer already to go.

Unfortunately it's going to have to go to a local indie to be done as my arm/shoulder is still not working properly. I hate subbing jobs like this out but want it doing sooner than later as I have a lot more work to do on the car yet and daren't risk lifting anything overhead at the moment. :(
Just take it easy Dave- glad to hear you’re not too tempted to take it on until you’re ready !

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Oh I want to do it myself John, just so frustrating really that I can't.

Been told that it can take a few months to heal, so just have to bear with it really. I've not been helping myself with doing other stuff though, so going to pass on this one.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you want the old one repaired the guys at Northampton welding are the o es to talk to. In addition to wheel straightening they also weld gearbox casings and the like (so they know how to deal with the oil).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Booked it into my detailer to have Swissvax cleanse and protect detail to replace/update the Kamikaze protection which didn’t do what it said on the tin!
Hopefully this will last a year this time, and certainly get the car through the worst the winter can throw at it.

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Sounds Awfully expensive John ....Do you know it works better than cheaper products?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Booked it into my detailer to have Swissvax cleanse and protect detail to replace/update the Kamikaze protection which didn’t do what it said on the tin!
Hopefully this will last a year this time, and certainly get the car through the worst the winter can throw at it.

Blimey, that's not good John!

Bit worrying as the local "proper" detailer down here uses it, and was toying with getting it on next car! Have they refunded you??? :eek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Woke up this morning and looked out the window to see one less MB on the drive. Feeling sad to not see the 129 there....
Still she's tucked up nice and safe in the barn in France now so will have a lovely dry winter keeping the Smart Roadster company.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Blimey, that's not good John!

Bit worrying as the local "proper" detailer down here uses it, and was toying with getting it on next car! Have they refunded you??? :eek:
Exactly Guy. My detailer has now discontinued it, I’m the 3rd car he’s used and the protection is only lasting a matter of 6 months or so, whereas they claim 18 months to be the average. Swissvax claim 12 I think.
We’ve come to an arrangement on the Swissvax, basically I’m paying for the material but my guy is not charging for his labour. I trust him, he’s a good guy so I think that’s fair.

Top Bottom