What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Zahid Jahangir

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te-24/1989/3.0
A friend came round and showed me this race logic alterpower box which connects between your alternator and car battery and engine vacuum line. For those who know what this is, this device give up to 8bhp alone. So when throttle positioning is 75% opened or more, this stops the power of the engine powering up your alternator, and transfers this power back to your wheels. So good for short harsh acceleration!
5c6bb9cd0801f0dc98f8a85224aaac0b.jpg
fa0bc70bfdedb9c67decc13abb26a8cf.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It’s commonly known as snake oil, or the placebo effect. I can sell you ferrite magnetic fuel line devices that will improve fuel efficiency by 5% too.

By the way, a car alternator nowadays outputs somewhere around the 0.5- 1.0kW range. That’s 0.8- 1.6hp, not 8.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
A friend came round and showed me this race logic alterpower box which connects between your alternator and car battery and engine vacuum line. For those who know what this is, this device give up to 8bhp alone. So when throttle positioning is 75% opened or more, this stops the power of the engine powering up your alternator, and transfers this power back to your wheels. So good for short harsh acceleration!
5c6bb9cd0801f0dc98f8a85224aaac0b.jpg
fa0bc70bfdedb9c67decc13abb26a8cf.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
FYI most newer Mb's will do this already as part of their eco programming!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
FYI most newer Mb's will do this already as part of their eco programming!
Yup, eco stop start and regenerative braking plus consumers designed to reduce parasitic loading.

Btw MB have now just switched to 48V for in car modules which significantly improves efficiency.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yup, eco stop start and regenerative braking plus consumers designed to reduce parasitic loading.

Btw MB have now just switched to 48V for in car modules which significantly improves efficiency.

Indeed plus their new straight 6 gives loads of space in either side for 48v accessories and no belt drive!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really? WTH are you hanging with them ....
A stairgate. It’s got some horrid dynamic forces actually, especially when it’s opened and swinging. If it was just static it’d be fine.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
A stairgate. It’s got some horrid dynamic forces actually, especially when it’s opened and swinging. If it was just static it’d be fine.
Hmm never bothered with a permanent fix on those but I can imagine

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Let it rest...and will probably let it rest most of the remainder of January as the waterpump is on its way out as determined by the racket its making...it's off to Wayne Gates on 1st Feb for Waterpump, Donut, track rod ends, ABS bit by bit diagnosis and Sunroof lube...

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D

Glue up a timber panel first to spread the load - say 1m x 150mm x 12mm then screw the hinge side to that! ;):D

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Where from?

There’s only £80 difference between non-MB and MB-warranted pumps now.

Poland, half the price quoted from Mercedes which is a refurbished one anyway, this was the same as the strut I got from Mercedes, refurbished.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Transmission or TCU has gone into permanent limp home mode again and stuck car in second gear, presumably due to low voltage again (cold weather and car not being driven for a week, old battery). Normally if this happens I power car off, wait and powr back on again and the voltage is normally high enough for it to register normal again however this time it has not. Last time it was like this I took it to an indie who reset historical codes, then after 20mins driving and resetting the car it was fine again.

Anyone near Hemel Hempstead this and have a scanner that does code resets on a 2002 w203?

I am wondering if there is a maximum number of repeat fault codes the TCU/ECU gets to and just puts it in limp home until codes are reset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be the gearbox electro plate? - speed sensor died, try Wayne Gates Harrow? Hope it get sorted.

If battery is duff, eurocarparts, try code MID40 for a discount - Bosch batteries are great.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
It could be the gearbox electro plate? - speed sensor died, try Wayne Gates Harrow? Hope it get sorted.

If battery is duff, eurocarparts, try code MID40 for a discount - Bosch batteries are great.

It is the battery for sure, last Star diag showed low voltage alerts, that coupled with errors on the heat matrix and glow plugs mean more draw on the battery (which is the original 16yr old battery!) I think the conductor plate is ok (for now) but the tranny is eccentric (at least finicky) to say the least. Result is that it is in limp mode until code reset and couple of fresh runs. I charged up the battery to max last night and will do the same tonight.

About £90 squid for a decent 019 900CCA battery, thinking about the extra £45 to get an AGM battery due to short journeys.

I need to get suspension components check out as there is an odd noise from the front and knocking and a spring noise at the back, last mechanic said he couldn’t find anything so he said it is shocks all round, given that is possible I want a second opinion and quote. See how it goes with diag at Welwyn Merx then go from there, Harrow would be a close second to get to in limp mode :)

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It is the battery for sure, last Star diag showed low voltage alerts, that coupled with errors on the heat matrix and glow plugs mean more draw on the battery (which is the original 16yr old battery!) I think the conductor plate is ok (for now) but the tranny is eccentric (at least finicky) to say the least. Result is that it is in limp mode until code reset and couple of fresh runs. I charged up the battery to max last night and will do the same tonight.

About £90 squid for a decent 019 900CCA battery, thinking about the extra £45 to get an AGM battery due to short journeys.

I need to get suspension components check out as there is an odd noise from the front and knocking and a spring noise at the back, last mechanic said he couldn’t find anything so he said it is shocks all round, given that is possible I want a second opinion and quote. See how it goes with diag at Welwyn Merx then go from there, Harrow would be a close second to get to in limp mode :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wouldn't use an AGM. If your driving profile flattens a normal wet cell battery it'll still flatten an AGM. To get the best from an AGM batteries it also needs a different charging regime. Best to save your money and stick to what the car was designed to use and do a periodic overnight top up charge.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The 647 on my 211 needed an AGM battery so I'd suspect the 203 may need it as well, best if you check your data card to see if it states uprated charging capacity or similar that old indicate if it does indeed require an AGM battery

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't use an AGM. If your driving profile flattens a normal wet cell battery it'll still flatten an AGM. To get the best from an AGM batteries it also needs a different charging regime. Best to save your money and stick to what the car was designed to use and do a periodic overnight top up charge.

Fair enough, thanks for the advice, reason I was thinking about AGM is that they are more durable with respect to multiple charge cycles, charge cycle is shorter, they are less susceptible to cold temperatures, and the CCA of a 019 AGM meets just over the minimum required. My driving profile does not necessarily drain a standard lead acid wet battery however I was looking at the calcium penetrated, non-maintenance ones, but apparently they are more difficult to charge and require longer charge cycle.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom