1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best valeting products?

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by TazK, May 14, 2017.

1. TazK

TazK New Member

Your Mercedes:
    w163 ML 2002 270
    H Guys,

I use Maguire's and autoglym aqua wax. Autoglym I feel leaves a residue whereas for the wax, what do you guys use?

Thanks

2. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tiptronic cabriolet
    Best Valeting Product - elbow grease! Believe it or not, years ago my children actually found a tin of it from Body Shop!! Special "grease" for dry skin on elbows, of all things, think I still have it somewhere!

Try reading on detailingworld - when you have lots of spare time!

3. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    Valeting, for what? Interior- Leather, cloth, bare plastic, painted plastic, lacquered wood... Exterior, painted plastic, painted metal, lacquered metal, bare plastic?

There are products for each...

4. C350Carl

C350Carl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 E250 CDI AMG Sport Estate
    There is no best product as each of us had different opinions and will get on differently with any given product.

There are products designed for the novice to use and there are products designed for a professional to use.

The novice products are very forgiving of mistakes in application. The professional ones aren't and some require EXTENSIVE work to correct if you get it wrong (Crystal Serum as an example)

If the Autoglym is leaving a residue it means you're using too much of it, or applying it incorrectly (to hot a panel, uneven coverage etc).

5. OP
    TazK

TazK New Member

Your Mercedes:
    w163 ML 2002 270
    Thanks guys yeah its just for interior and exterior like wax. I find autosmart have so good products for interior too :)

6. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black.
    For the outside of the car I use Armorall Shield. The main reason being that it doesn't leave any residue on the plastics or rubber seals etc. It is very easy to use and has excellent beading qualities that seem to last for months. Used it for quite a few years now and am very reluctant to change. :)

7. Wearsafoxhat

Wearsafoxhat Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    05 E55k Est, 99 SL500, A200
    I use Carlack products in conjunction with Collinite 915, as two of my cars are dark. This gives a nice finish, goes on easily and beads nicely. I never achieved a nice finish with Autoglym Aqua wax, found that it left patches and took a lot of work to remove.
    Just my preference and as said above, there is a lot of stuff on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Morethanpolish

Morethanpolish Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Kompressor
    There are a bewildering variety of products out there, with claims as wildly differing as their prices.

The UK is the global centre of detailing products now so every man and his dog is setting up as a supplier, most rebottling bulk trade products or importing an overseas-made product of questionable provenance and self-labelling. There are also some new brands which are genuinely far better than the old established household names.

We have been retailing valeting/detailing products since 2003 and have seen brands explode onto the market and whimper out of it. None have a complete range to suit everyone in the same way as no car manufacturer has, nor is 'the best'.

We try to offer good products to suit a variety of needs, budgets and abilities and I have built the business on offering proven products and advice.

So please have a look at our offerings, I use/d most of them myself and will gladly make individual recommendations.
    www.morethanpolish.com

9. BernardB

BernardB Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL600 (W216) 2006
    Have a look at Bilt-Hamber. Despite the name they are a British company who make their own products. I have their Auto-Wash and Auto-Wheel and find them superior to anything else I've used.

fatlookalike likes this.
  10. Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    And now... a C63!
    If I've done a full Monty on the car (ie clayed & polished), then I use Natty's Poorboys - intended for darker cars, goes on fairly easily and buffs off well.

For more routine, shorter TLC sessions, I use Armourall Armour Shield. As above, it goes on easily (even in sunlight), buffs off easily, and does seem to give a robust protective finish. (Seems pretty effective against bird bombs!). Can also wipe it over the plastic parts without it leaving white residue. Looked like this afterwards:
    [​IMG]

After basic washes, I often just dry the car, then give it a wipe-over with Sonax BSD.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    daibevan and AJD like this.
  11. Sylar

Sylar Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C Class/2006/180k
    You wont go far wrong with Maguire's products. I like the ultimate wax, its a synthetic wax that stays on for around a year. I only use the ultimate shampoo but at near 20 quid its expensive! But the rain beads well after a wash....

I use Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax for the "made of glass" look. Only last a few days but that stuffs awesome for show.

12. Morethanpolish

Morethanpolish Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Kompressor
    Meguiars is very much an enthusiast, mid-market product that is worth buying to cut your teeth on.

The products do what they say and are well-enough engineered, but there are far better products out there which you will see the benefits of once you have learnt how to use the more forgiving, mass market ones.

But you do have to pick carefully as there is so much bull out there and opportunistic pricing. Stick to the established brands, companies with a proper website (not just ebay), landline phone number, a number of years experience and a reputation beyond a few bloggers who've been 'bought' with some free products. After all, if the product goes wrong and you have a claim you need to know there's substance behind your supplier - be it advice, assistance or more.

Ray1888 likes this.
  13. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Autoglym was my favorite .But as one of the posters above said it leaves white powder in any crack it can find .Just had a few containers of Williams Wash And Wax .This is the easiest polish I have used so far. It treats all the car including the glass and trim ,other than front window . But I find it beads ok for a day or so would be good if you keep it in a garage .

14. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I have some Autoglym stuff , but I've had good results with Dodo juice ,Collinite,Chemical Guys , Poorboys ,Meguiars ,Sonax . All worth trying , things have moved on since Autoglym SRP