1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What maintenance should be performed on a SLK 2000 Roof?

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by tedfred, May 12, 2018.

1. tedfred

tedfred Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    slk 200
    Dear All,

Having acquired my SLK 200 a week ago, I now have lists of things I feel need to be done to it.

I wonder what routine maintenance is necessary to keep the folding roof alive for years to come?
    I am particularly concerned with avoiding water leaks and have been advised to treat all the rubber seals with AutoGlyme Vinyl and rubber care?? I know MB will sell me a tea spoon of their rubber compound for £30 but is there another alternative?

I also notice that the metalwork associated with the roof although plastic coated seems to have oxidised displaying small white powdery dots? I have been told to treat them with WD 40, though I feel that this will cause all manner of debris to cling to them.

Finally, is it necessary to lubricate the joints and actuators, if so with what and how; as grease guns are a thing of the past. Additionally, this would entail stopping the roof actuation half/part way and I have read in another post of ecu malfunctions and fuses blowing etc is this a known fault associated with partial roof opening/closing cycles?

Any advice would as always be very much appreciated.

Regards
    TEDFRED

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    The preferred here is GummiPlege for the seals or Kytox (not cheap but is a great lubricant as well for the rubber).

DavyYoung, tedfred and Flyinspanner like this.
  3. grahamcol

grahamcol Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 SLK230, 2000 C280 V6
    I acquired a beautuful SLK last year and i treated all of the seals to a good dose of silicon spray - actually sprayed into a container and then brushed on. Did the same last weekend.
    I did read that Gummi Pfledge is a really good product and I sent for some the other day. It came yesterday and i treated a test rubber which came up looking more or less like new so l will probably use this from now on.
    I am uncomfortable with only part raising the roof. However having done this a few times now, I haven't yet come across a problem.
    With regard to the hinges etc. I haven't treated them at all. I guess they're probably already lubed with grease and should, therefore, be ok for some time.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    DavyYoung likes this.
  4. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I did spray some gt85 spray on my hinges the other day , when I was Gummying the seals .

tedfred likes this.
  5. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    You can sometimes get good deals on gummi pfledge on eBay, it’s great for all the rubber seals.

This stuff ( ACF50) is very good for metal, lubricates joints without getting sticky. Will bring up the plastics in your engine bay, and help keep corrosion at bay.

Have a look at the website, and then click on the tabs to find the differing uses..... :)

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm

tedfred likes this.
  6. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
  7. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Metal contact stuff like hinges I use WD40 lithium grease- spray on dead easy....about a fiver a can on Amazon and free delivery if you’ve prime....

tedfred likes this.
  8. OP
    tedfred

tedfred Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    slk 200
    Thank you All again,

I now have further shopping to do on ebay tonight.

I bought Auto Glym wheel protector yesterday, It is essentially a spray varnish which protects the wheel from brake dust and allows the wheel to be cleaned easily??? It seems however that to make the job worthwhile the wheels need to be taken off the car to be prepared and then sprayed. Its a bigger job than I initially thought but I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Tedfred

Flyinspanner likes this.
  9. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    Just use a decent non-acidic wheel cleaner, much easier, something like Bilt Hamber from Amazon. This is also brilliant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPlan-CD...526308594&sr=1-5&keywords=alloy+wheel+cleaner

I bought gummi pfledge from E-Bay, brilliant stuff for all rubber on the car

tedfred likes this.
  10. OP
    tedfred

tedfred Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    slk 200
    Thanks J Bell
    Bilt Hamber has been ordered from Amazon.

Thanks again
    Regards .
    Tedfred

11. Ricardo_e220

Ricardo_e220 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R170 SLK230k 1999
    I’d also spray some grease into the catches on the windscreen leading edge - mine sticks after sitting in the garage for winter (it’s not used much) and think it’s that which is causing it, works fine once cycled a few times

12. OP
    tedfred

tedfred Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    slk 200
    Hi Ricardo,
    Thanks for your reply.
    What spray grease do you use ?

Regards

Tedfred

13. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    White lithium grease in spray form works well (WD40), that’s what I use on any metal interface parts, also good for hinges etc etc...

14. OP
    tedfred

tedfred Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    slk 200
    Thanks John,

That's worth knowing. I am running out of shelf space in the garage as I equip myself with all these extras. Though I am sure they are all worth it.

Thanks again

Regards

Tedfred