What oil do I need to get for my 313 Sprinter?

johnb80

Reaction score
What oil do I need to get for my 313 Sprinter, what quantity and what are the recommended service intervals please.

I've done 600 miles in my sprinter now, averaged 34.5 mpg and love it to death. Way, way better than the Transits I've had in the past, just got to get aircon installed and my mission is complete!

Additions so far:-
Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB radio
Removed the naff speakers from the dash and installed Blaupunkt speakers (dramatic improvement)
Added Active sub above the cab
Split charge & Leisure battery (under drivers seat)
Reversing Camera (Dead esay to park withing an inch of the back step )

Regards - J

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
If you had the original handbook you would be amazed at the wide range of oil viscosities that are suitable for your engine and also it can be mineral/semi-synthetic or fully-synthetic. The single most important thing is that it meets the Mercedes specs listed for your vehicle i.e - MB229.1, 228.5, 228.2/228.3, 228.0/228.1. I think MB228.5 is the most relevant to commercial vehicles. The viscosity can be anything from 0W-30 to 10W60 or 20W-50 and most people seem to go for a 10W-40.

If your van is a standard uk model it should have assyst which tells you when a service is due depending on usage. If not then depending on age of vehicle the basic service interval should be between 14k(2001) or 20k(2003-).

OP
J

johnb80

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I must admit I tend to over do oil changes etc so I'll probably be changing at 5 to 8K or thereabouts, I get peace of mind from it #8o) I won't be doing mega miles, probably 8 to 10K per year of gentle driving.

Are there any points I need to be aware / careful of when servicing?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated - J

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
johnb80 said:
Thanks for the info, I must admit I tend to over do oil changes etc so I'll probably be changing at 5 to 8K or thereabouts, I get peace of mind from it #8o) I won't be doing mega miles, probably 8 to 10K per year of gentle driving.

Are there any points I need to be aware / careful of when servicing?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated - J

The alternative to mileage based servicing for sprinters doing lower mileages is a service interval of 2 years, so if you are going to service annually then I would think a good mineral oil would be perfectly suitable and cheaper than the synthetic variants.

Hints for oil change? simple really. Pop into a merc commercial dealer and get the proper tool for removing the oil filter cap. I think mine cost me about £7-8 and it saves risking chewing up the plastic cap with a large pair of stilsons. Get the engine really hot before dropping the oil and then leave to drain for at least an hour to give you a nice cleanish oil on refilling. Whenever I have tolerated dealer servicing I am always dissapointed at the blackness of the oil when I get it back, either they don't let it drain long enough or they aren't changing the oil at all! (this definitely happened on one occasion as the oil filter housing was untouched, MAJOR arguements :mad: )

OP
J

johnb80

Reaction score
Would it be worth dropping some cheap oil in and let the engine idle for 10 minutes or so, then drop that and fill with the pukka stuff in order to clean out the gunge? or am I being OTT?

I'll get the tool from a stealer and then give it a go at the weekend. I think the front disks are warped, (vibration under braking) so I'll probably be doing disks and pads too.

Thanks again for your advice, very much appreciated.

Regards - J

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
johnb80 said:
Would it be worth dropping some cheap oil in and let the engine idle for 10 minutes or so, then drop that and fill with the pukka stuff in order to clean out the gunge? or am I being OTT?

that would be OTT. just thrash it down the M'way for 15 mins flat out then straight home and drop the oil asap (be careful not to burn/scald your fingers!)

Top Bottom