What size Torx bit?

brassmonkey001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter/2008/3.0
Hi, I have a 2008 Sprinter and I want to replace the bezel that surrounds the radio and heater controls. I want to remove the Hazard switch from the bezel and it has 4 Torx screws. T10 is too small and T15 is too big but I can't seem to find a size in between. Can anyone tell me what tool I need?

OP
B

brassmonkey001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter/2008/3.0
Hi, I have a 2008 Sprinter and I want to replace the bezel that surrounds the radio and heater controls. I want to remove the Hazard switch from the bezel and it has 4 Torx screws. T10 is too small and T15 is too big but I can't seem to find a size in between. Can anyone tell me what tool I need?
To answer my own question, it seems that a T10 Security Torx bit (i.e. one that has a hole in the middle) is slightly larger than a normal T10 Torx bit. Hopefully this helps someone else who finds themselves on the lookout for the seemingly non-existant T12 Torx bit.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Surely a T10 is T10 whether there's a hole in the middle or not.
Is it a cheap set you're using that has poor quality control, or a damaged bit?

OP
B

brassmonkey001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter/2008/3.0
Surely a T10 is T10 whether there's a hole in the middle or not.
Is it a cheap set you're using that has poor quality control, or a damaged bit?
You'd think so but seemingly not. They're not expensive bits but I don't think QC is that far out. Not damaged either. It's done the job, so I'm happy anyway!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I've had T40's from various manufacturers that have been quite different, some brands would be hard to remove from the bolt after tightening but did fit and did the job. It seems some have slightly rounded splines even if the point to point measurement is the same. Maybe there are small differences in torx bolt heads from different suppliers too?
The ones I work with have also have different depths on the same size heads. My job generally uses T10 to T50
T10 is very small, so likely to have a bigger difference as a percentage of tolerances than the bigger torx bits.
Nice that you got the job done and thanks for posting your solution to the problem, it may help others.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom