What to buy?

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
Hello, newbie here!

I am going to buy a second hand car pretty soon and would like your opinion.

My choices are:

1. MB E220 CDI Estate Auto (170PS Facelifted 2006 model)

2. BMW 520d Touring Steptronic (163PS 2006 current model)

Both cars to be around 6 to 12 months old and up to 30.000 kms and about the same price range.

I would like some real life experience from owners or ex-owners of either cars.

I have tested drove both cars in petrol engines as diesels are limited in Greece. MB with the 2.0L auto and BMW 525i auto, I liked the BMW more but then again it was a 6 pot compared to a 4 pot one, not so fair.

Thanks in advance. :)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
They are utterly different.
You will get people who swear by each and equally people who will critisise each for various reasons. At the end of the day, both are excellent cars so it comes down to which you personally prefer to drive and look at and which matches the image you want to portray.
I don't like the BMW but that's really down to the styling on the current model and the image of the owners - which here in the UK is a bit agressive. It's too angular and austere for me. I like the feeling of luxury you get from the curved leather and wood interior on the E class - but then that's why I bought one. I've certainly never driven a BMW that didn't impress me, but IMO the merc is just a nicer place to be, is still enjoyable to drive and somehow makes every journey a special event.

OP
gianton

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
Thanks for your reply.

Hard decision indeed. I currently own a BMW 520i E39 '97 model and before that a Merc 230E. I may go for the best bargain and that would be a Merc as the car will be bought from Germany, where Merc's are plentier.

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
I also looked at the 5 series, but chose an e class instead. J berks mentioned the image assocaited with the BMs and I have to say I agree. That siad, either will provide a great drive.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm probably too partisan to give an honest opinion so I won't.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom