What tyre pressures do you maintain & how often?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I think bj was mainly saying that different tyres do lose pressure at different rates. I have certainly seen that too. My Michelins on my motorhome don't seem to lose any pressure over many months whereas I've had car tyres vary within weeks. Need to know your tyres and how they perform before deciding how often to check them. Always worth a check before any long high speed runs.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Manufacturers recommendations areca compromise between tyre life and mpg and are just that - recommendations. Different tyre makes will ride different even with the same pressure in them.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
My 211 used to get run at 33-34 and lasted well on 16's, the 17's in winter were happier at about 35, wife's W169 is back to 33 and again on 16's which is a nice coincidence. Not the Pug is different again, on 18's is happy at 36-37,
I normally check them and the wife's every few weeks on a gauge but give all our tyres a cursory look every couple of days, lots of building work goin on around us at the moment and I've had 3 tyre repairs since Christmas.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Recommend pressures (manufacturers) are cold (tyre)pressure. So, when you check your pressures makes a difference. e.g. just come off a high speed run on the motorway, or after a 2 minute drive from your house in the middle of winter. Even driving some distance with the sun on one side of the car or a wheel near the exhaust makes a difference. I had a 200 series Landcruiser with TPMS (and temperature) and the left rear always had a higher pressure because it was near the exhaust. I was pretty anal about my tyres .....I effectively had 4 spares (one for the car, one for my off road caravan which had the same wheels as my cruiser and the two on the caravan (for a real emergency) If you have no spare in the outback, you could be stuck for days.

As it turned out after 8 years of trips to the outback, I never needed a spare ;)

I correct my tyre pressures every couple months (they do slowly deflate) I have the MB app on my phone and can see the pressures sitting on my sofa and check them every couple of days.

I go to the service station and over-inflate by 3 or 4 psi and return home. I then leave the car (usually overnight for the tyres to cool. I then use a good quality pressure gauge and an app (that gives correct pressure based on current tyre temp) and correct my pressures, based on the tyre/ambient temperature. The temp does make a couple of psi difference from cold to hot so, at least my pressures are consistent.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom