1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you buy if Mercedes didn't exist

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by V6Matty, Mar 22, 2018.

1. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    6FB7CF39-0D87-4BE7-B0AA-8CA333CC84FE.jpeg
    An almost new 230...(at least almost everything on it was new!) :)
    Was also Palladium...and a thing of beauty (lump in throat moment...:()...I said throat Craig:rolleyes:

Capra and sl500amgsport like this.
  2. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather
    Good to hear that they have got their act together now. :)

Back in the late 90's I had a V70R. I had the car because at that time the Police were using them and I thought because of that they had to be good. :)

However it was a car that I could not get comfortable in. Maybe it was my stature, although I think I am pretty normal, but what is normal ?. Secondly it didn't have the performance I thought it would have, albeit it did follow a Sierra Cosworth. Thirdly the rear seat had a relentless squeak, and lastly it went through front tyres like a dog goes through biscuits !! All in all not a car I particularly enjoyed having. :(

Of course things have moved on a pace since then and if Volvo hadn't hugely improved their product they would have gone the same way as Saab !. :rolleyes:

Capra likes this.
  3. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    The new owners (Geely) have a really interesting approach to the car world , they took the shackles off Volvo which Ford had put on and allowed their engineers and designers to do what they are good at..make good cars with minimal restraints. The first product of that was the new XC90, which I have- a glorious car full of great touches , design is faultless and a very nice thing to be in and drive...with character. On this underpinning comes the V90, there is a new XC60 and V60, V40 almost there. They are serious and selling in big numbers now.
    If I had to level a criticism it’s the UK lack of engine choices. You have to go way up the range to get a petrol version, and then it’s likely to be hybrid plug in. I had to opt for their 4 pot diesel in the model I wanted for family use. Not a terrible engine and at least no pigs wee, and 235bhp or thereabouts, but a bit noisy...wish they’d do a 3l V6 (or even IL6)Petrol and it would be the complete picture- and in the V90 that would be a serious bit of kit .

4. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    There’s something very interesting that Geely are doing that I shouldn’t talk about just yet. But let’s just say that what I Roll... Volvo are putting into market now is just the start. The tip of the labrador’s nose as it were.

5. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    Would a Lotus SUV crossover have any ‘bearing’ on it by any chance? (See what I did there?)

6. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
    You're looking at the wrong models. Look at the S and RS range great cars IMO. :D

7. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    Eerrrrmmmmmmmmmm I’m sayin’ nuffin!!!

John Laidlaw likes this.