What's the secret to driving smoothly?

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
Why would you even consider using sports mode for smooth driving? Sports mode is for exactly the opposite of what you want.
Most modern Mercedes autos avoid using first gear in sports (unless manually selected).
Coming to a stop in second gear resists the cars tendency to push the car forwards when the brake is only very lightly applied such as when coming to a gentle stop.

When mine's in sports mode I found the car can sometimes move forward after a gentle stop but I learned to press the big pedal a little firmer as soon as it comes to a stop.

If you really want to be credited for smooth driving, why have an auto that does all the smooth gear changes?
Seems like cheating to me.
Get a manual box and show some skill. Smooth driving in an auto impresses no one as the car does more than half of the work in achieving a smooth ride for you.

I agree, it just happened that the car I chose was an auto but I'm not going to waste £5000 ish just to revert to a manual box and other than the ROSPA examiner I'm not seeking to impress anyone. I am of an age that I have nothing to prove to anyone. The reason I use sports mode is that Eco mode gives the acceleration of a slug. Thanks for your contribution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Read the road ahead, accelerate keeping below 2k rpm, avoid sudden acceleration and braking, follow flow of traffic.

Doing this I've hit almost 42mpg in my old C250TD... Which is a feat in itself.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
A discussion over the merits of different transmissions is not the question to which I was seeking advice. I was looking for advice in the context of the vehicle I have, not an intellectual debate over hardware. That can take place elsewhere.

Threads go off at tangents...at least this tangent was related to the first post. You were effectively asking how to drive smoothly with your particular gearbox.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
As above let of the peddle a little as your coming to a halt, it takes a little practice but worth it.

If you think your B class is bad you aught to try my Pug, due to the electric motors driving the rear wheels it takes a lot to creep slowly

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The type of gearbox is relevant to your question ...... :coffee:

Absolutely is.
Even, The difference between the 7G and the 7G Plus is huge.
The latter if driven in a lively mode, very quickly adapts and holds the revs up when you back off the throttle, ready to unleash everything its got. Its as though its on steroids.

Probably not the best for the ecology ..... but then its not exactly my most pressing concern. :):)

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
Read the road ahead, accelerate keeping below 2k rpm, avoid sudden acceleration and braking, follow flow of traffic.

Doing this I've hit almost 42mpg in my old C250TD... Which is a feat in itself.

Thanks for the tips. It appears there is no secret to coming to a halt smoothly other than braking early and then ease off ever so gently

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I agree, it just happened that the car I chose was an auto but I'm not going to waste £5000 ish just to revert to a manual box and other than the ROSPA examiner I'm not seeking to impress anyone. I am of an age that I have nothing to prove to anyone. The reason I use sports mode is that Eco mode gives the acceleration of a slug. Thanks for your contribution.

Is the pass grade reduced for driving an auto smoothly though?
If you pass your driving test in an auto you can only drive an auto, there's a big difference in skill levels especially when driving with finesse.
I might have some pride in driving a manual smoothly on a test but not a glorified go kart with a stop and a go pedal.
What's the point of this gold star thing in an auto, serious question by the way. I just don't get the point if it comes down to how smooth your car can stop.

If it's about being a safer driver with anticipation and reading the road further ahead that's great but I'm sure that wouldn't need this thread about gearboxes and how to come to a full stop.
I must be missing something here but I can't work out what it is.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
@L John: It's not how smoothly your car can stop but how smoothly you can stop the car.

Smoothness of the drive is only a small part of advanced driving and is the result of getting all the other parts right. The standard required to pass the test is the same in a manual and automatic and both transmissions require different skills to make the most of the car's potential. Smooth driving does not mean driving like a snail and getting the best fuel consumption; it is about "making progress" within the law and within the constriants of the road situation.

Sudden changes in speed and/or direction should be avoided but brisk acceleration and firm braking is encouraged as long as it is appropraite, progressive and planned correctly. With my IAM Associates driving automatics I actively enourage them to use the gearbox manually where appropriate to assist with maintaining speed just as you would a manual.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Thanks for that Brizzle. I drive like that already but just thought it was normal driving.
Changing down before an overtake makes it smoother for sure but I still think automatic is a lower level of driving and I drive both types.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Some good replies given. Back to the original question.

In particular I can't come to a smooth stop in sports mode as the car tries to pull when it's in gea unlike a manual gearbox.
What's the secret?

Footwear can have a bearing. I used to teach HGV driving and have had students turn up wearing ****** great work boots. It was soon pointed out to them that they needed footwear whereby they could 'feel' the pedal(s).

You could try driving in slippers, or even without footwear - I know there are a lot sites where comment is made that driving barefoot is illegal but, - Urban Myth. It isn't.

The other point to consider is that the heel, whilst braking, is not in contact with the carpet/floor of the vehicle. The foot needs to be suspended in mid air so as to truly control the exertion placed on the brake pedal.

I keep mine in Sports mode and have no problem. What is your Rev Counter reading at tick-over when warm?

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
Ken_R is right about it not being illegal to drive barefoot BUT if you are involved in a collision and the police determine that not having footwear (or even wearing inappropriate footwear) contributed to the collision then you may be reported for not being in control of the vehicle.

On the DSA web site it says “suitable shoes are particularly important behind the wheel. We would not recommend driving barefoot because you don’t have the same braking force with bare feet as you do with shoes on.” I believe a driving test examiner can refuse to test someone that intends to drive barefoot - but I could be wrong about that.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

Footwear can have a bearing. I used to teach HGV driving and have had students turn up wearing ****** great work boots. It was soon pointed out to them that they needed footwear whereby they could 'feel' the pedal(s).

You could try driving in slippers, or even without footwear - I know there are a lot sites where comment is made that driving barefoot is illegal but, - Urban Myth. It isn't.

The other point to consider is that the heel, whilst braking, is not in contact with the carpet/floor of the vehicle. The foot needs to be suspended in mid air so as to truly control the exertion placed on the brake pedal.

I keep mine in Sports mode and have no problem. What is your Rev Counter reading at tick-over when warm?

I really cant see that having your foot suspended gives you better braking control. I would have thought the reverse but each to their own.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Takes me back to my police driving courses days when you had to be extra smooth all the time.
The key is a light pair of shoes, more feel from the pedals. Also reading the road well ahead & anticipating other road users. Its all in Roadcraft & we had to learn loads of definitions.
"He will always be in the right place on the road, traveling at the right speed with the right gear engaged & he achieves this desirable state by concentrating all the time, planning ahead & driving systematically".

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel

Approx 750rpm looks normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom