Where is my MAF???

Rob_C180

Reaction score
Can somebody please help me locate the MAF on my 1996 C180 W202.

Although the car was registered in Jan 96 my local MB dealer tells be that it’s a 95 production model.

My previous C180 was a 1997 and had the MAF located just after the air filter box. This one however just has the moulded pipe straight from the filter box to the air intake and not sign of anything in-between?

Cheers

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Rob,your car does not have a Maf, it was not fitted to the C180 or C200 until late 1996, your car has an airflow pressure sensor built into the throttle body/idle control valve.
Geo.

Billinski

Reaction score
MAF on C200 Petrol

Looking from the front of car (as you would do with the bonnet open!) the Airflow sensor on the C200 is sutuated just behind the air intake tube before it enters the fuel system:-
IMG_0218s.jpg
IMG_0219s.jpg
Very very carefully remove the sensor:-
1. Prise the clip open and pull the connector off
2. Press the clip and very carefully, but perhaps with some force, pull the sensor out, pull straight and not to any angle otherwise you'll damage the very delicated sensor or plastic surround.
3. You now have:-
IMG_0216s.jpg

Initially you may think that its clean - mine looked clean after 14 years use - but look carefully and you may see some tarnishing on the wire element or muck on the tip.
This may be cleaned with an alcohol (contact cleaner) such as Isopropyl Alcohol. Liberally spray the cleaner onto the element wires and the tip, use a soft artist's (or model maker's) paintbrush to gently wipe the element and tip to remove the crud. You may have to do this a few times.

4. Wait for it to dry, or blow dry it, then gently re-insert the sensor onto the air intake line, and then push home the connector.

Job done.

My C200 is 14 years old and this was its first sensor inspection. I must say that as I replace the air filter element very regularly (its so cheap anyway), then the inside of the air intake line was very clean and the sensor appeared clean.
I have not noticed any significant improvement in either performance or economy.

Without a doubt it may be much more worthwhile on a diesel since it would get much dirtier especially if there's re-circualtion from the exhaust.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As C220GJS it was not fitted to the early cars

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Billinski, what you are describing is the air intake temperature sensor.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Looking from the front of car (as you would do with the bonnet open!) the Airflow sensor on the C200 is sutuated just behind the air intake tube before it enters the fuel system:-
View attachment 3817
View attachment 3819
Very very carefully remove the sensor:-
1. Prise the clip open and pull the connector off
2. Press the clip and very carefully, but perhaps with some force, pull the sensor out, pull straight and not to any angle otherwise you'll damage the very delicated sensor or plastic surround.
3. You now have:-
View attachment 3818

Initially you may think that its clean - mine looked clean after 14 years use - but look carefully and you may see some tarnishing on the wire element or muck on the tip.
This may be cleaned with an alcohol (contact cleaner) such as Isopropyl Alcohol. Liberally spray the cleaner onto the element wires and the tip, use a soft artist's (or model maker's) paintbrush to gently wipe the element and tip to remove the crud. You may have to do this a few times.

4. Wait for it to dry, or blow dry it, then gently re-insert the sensor onto the air intake line, and then push home the connector.

Job done.

My C200 is 14 years old and this was its first sensor inspection. I must say that as I replace the air filter element very regularly (its so cheap anyway), then the inside of the air intake line was very clean and the sensor appeared clean.
I have not noticed any significant improvement in either performance or economy.

Without a doubt it may be much more worthwhile on a diesel since it would get much dirtier especially if there's re-circualtion from the exhaust.

Thats not the Air mass sensor it is the air temp sensor. It rarely works properly and does not make any real difference if connected or not.

Going back to the original post. Your car may have an airmass if it is an HFM engine. If it has a PMS engine it wont have one.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom