Where's me oil filter????

khanie

Reaction score
I thought I'd save a few quid and change the oil in my 96 E230 (210 series). I went to Halfords to buy a new filter and oil (I've gone for part synthetic 10W/40) and the filter looks nothing like the metal cannisters I'm used to on previous cars. Having looked under the car the sump plug is fairly obvious but where does the filter go? I've got a standard chain wrench and socket set - anything else needed?

Any other hints/tips on changing the oil etc. welcomed too!!! Any photo's/diagrams also very welcome. I'd like a Haynes manual but they don't make one - swines.

Cheers

Mark

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi

Put up a picture.....a birds eye view ...of your engine and I will guide you.

OP
K

khanie

Reaction score
It's on the upper side of your engine on the right as you look at the motor from the front, here's a diagram http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.417&CT=M&cat=19K&SID=18&SGR=045&SGN=02 you may need a special tool which Halfords sell to undo the plastic cap and remember to replace the "O" ring type seal

Yes - it looks a bit like a metal cannister style filter only smaller - mines dark green and says to tighten to 25 nm (I think....) on it. Cheers - I'll look if it needs the tool - would a chain wrench oil filter removal tool type thingy work? - there's an O ring in with the filter.

Thanks

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Maybe if you can get at it ok but be careful as it's made of plastic

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
It's easier with the 14 (I think) sided hexagon spanner tool that can be bought from motor accessory shops. Mine has a 3/8" square drive to it and cost me about a fiver. Fits snugly and easy to torque up.
Ron

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom