Which CLC is the most desirable?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
They did build a C30AMG in this shape armed with a tuned 2.7CDI engine. Always wanted a go in one, but never seen one.

Sounds fun.

I had a chat with the guy as I was suspicious of the badge on the rear but he lifted the bonnet to reveal the engine he had transplanted out of a written off C32 saloon

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Horses for courses is the most sensible remark I've seen on this thread so far.

A whole variety of motives influence a person's choice of car, and to knock that choice because you would pick something different is to knock that individual.

As Steve said, a CLC can be a great choice, but it's an individual thing. Mine is perfect as a second car, and does what we want admirably.

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Horses for courses is the most sensible remark I've seen on this thread so far.

A whole variety of motives influence a person's choice of car, and to knock that choice because you would pick something different is to knock that individual.

As Steve said, a CLC can be a great choice, but it's an individual thing. Mine is perfect as a second car, and does what we want admirably.

Agree wholeheartedly....mine is my daily driver and main car....does everything I need it to whereas a saloon just wouldn't. To the O/P; get as many toys as you can find as others have said and the 220 diesel I'd say.

Glyn Williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clc 230 2008 2.5 v6
Get one with as much extras as you can afford, and nothing wrong with choosing a CLC 230 would be my choice and petrol.
I have just bought a clc 230 sport. Would it be worth my time buying k&n filters in its next service. as in the specs it says it comes with sport ait filters?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have just bought a clc 230 sport. Would it be worth my time buying k&n filters in its next service. as in the specs it says it comes with sport ait filters?

K&N filters use kidology to make your car go faster ..... ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

You'd be as well to change the engine oil with snake oil....

Glyn Williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clc 230 2008 2.5 v6
also issues with the folding mirrors think it may be a gear issue tho
You'd be as well to change the engine oil with snake oil....
Fair, i have a problem with the folding mirrors ( they don't fold) I can hear the motor wining tho?

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
K&N filters use kidology to make your car go faster ..... ;)
On the Triumph bike forum I'm a member of, there was a story about about K&N oil filters.

Apparently some of them have a nut welded to the top of the filter to help you install and remove it. One Triumph biker installed this and during a ride the bike spat out all it's oil. It was the welded nut that removed itself leaving a gaping hole.

The engine was badly damaged and after alot of to-ing and fro-ing, K&N paid for the repairs to the bike engine.

So good on K&N for coughing up but what **** quality control do they have ????

Glyn Williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clc 230 2008 2.5 v6
On the Triumph bike forum I'm a member of, there was a story about about K&N oil filters.

Apparently some of them have a nut welded to the top of the filter to help you install and remove it. One Triumph biker installed this and during a ride the bike spat out all it's oil. It was the welded nut that removed itself leaving a gaping hole.

The engine was badly damaged and after alot of to-ing and fro-ing, K&N paid for the repairs to the bike engine.

So good on K&N for coughing up but what **** quality control do they have ????
See I was always based on the understanding that aftermarket parts tend to be of higher quality. Hence the usually increased price of the parts. The replacement panel filters for the clc, come in at about 50 notes each. Not sure how much OEM filters are.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
See I was always based on the understanding that aftermarket parts tend to be of higher quality. Hence the usually increased price of the parts. The replacement panel filters for the clc, come in at about 50 notes each. Not sure how much OEM filters are.
For most MBs about £10 or so.
Simple facts:
1. No filter will flow more than no filter. If you think a K&N will give you more power try removing the existing filter completely and see what difference it makes (aside from noise).
2. It's a rare driver that can detect a 10% increase in power
3. You get nothing for nothing. Any increase in airflow will be at the expense of worse filtration.
4. K&N filters use a oiled element that has been known to transfer oil onto the MAF wrecking it.
5. K&N are a very successful marketing company. If the filters were so much better the manufacturers would use them. They don't.
6. Intake noise levels increase.
7. There are many online comparative tests of filter materials and relative performance of each. Google unbiased scientific reports.

Personally I wouldn't bother with them. They offer questionable benefits, have a definite filtration disadvantage and raise the faff level of servicing (much easier to swap one filter for another than go through the cleaning/drying/oiling routine) along with a high initial cost.

That said, your money, you decide.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I had K&Ns in my SL500 and it was noisier therefore faster- fact :):p

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What engine code is that then ?

OM612.990. Bored out to 3L and none of the swirl flaps, egr etc, inlet manifold is just a straight pipe!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
So a C30 CDI AMG then.............@ 230bhp

Standard 5 pot turbo GTA2359VK
With coolant fed intercooler.
Engine cover airbox and inlet manifold looks pretty under the bonnet.

612.990.PNG

Sorry wayyyy off topic :)

Last edited:

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Can any CLC be called desirable?? :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom