Which is better for fuel comsumption C or M

ajcamp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C200 CDi Auto
Hi

I have a 2005 200 CDi Auto, the grarbox has a switch for C comfort or S Standard.

Which would give me better Fuel Consumption?

Thanks
Tony in Enfield

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have a 2005 200 CDi Auto, the grarbox has a switch for C comfort or S Standard. Which would give me better Fuel Consumption?

Hi Tony,

Good question, which has come up previously in other threads.

I have tried both over significant mileages (several thousand) in each of at least 3 cars, petrol and diesel. I found exactly no difference in overal consumption.

With Comfort, the car sets off in second gear (useful in treacherous conditions) and change up points are at lower revs (which would happen on a diesel anyway). In Standard it sets off in first and change up points are higher, allowing more acceleration (in a petrol car certainly) and holds the gear longer for overtaking.

My personal choice is to use the standard settings and just change up by easing the throttle slightly. That way I can accelerate harder if I want to (in Comfort you can still use kick down or change using Tiptronic to hold the gear).

Worth trying each for a while and choosing your preference. Best consumption in your car would be cruising @ 2,000 rpm. and the choice of setting does not alter that.

OP
A

ajcamp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C200 CDi Auto
Thanks

Thanks Alex, it will give it a try.

Regards
Tony in Enfield

Top Bottom