Why you should never let a main dealer "valet" your car

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The machine wash is bad enough, but this is just terrible:

31594379784_954d35dc73_o.jpg

And yes, this is on the inside.

I spent a couple of hours recently, cleaning and treating all the glass on the inside, only to have a dirty rag wiped all over it.

How many times do I have to ask MB Northampton, not to wash my car please?
Dashcams' footage from the wash box looks like a horror movie, honest! Green and black mould covered walls, dingy and dirty, rags dropped on the ground ...

I always get the car washed, before going there for a scheduled visit, so they are not inclined to offer a "complimentary wash", but this time it was an emergency.

Oh, well - full interior clean-up next week then.

Any recommendations for an interior glass treatment?
I used a CarPride 151 Anti-Fog, after a Mercedes branded interior glass cleaner, but have run out of it, and want something better.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
on the inside, I often just use the paintwork polish, turtle wax or similar. doesn't smear as its on the inside and it brings them up a treat!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
If they continue to do what you ask them verbally not to do...wouldn't it be a good idea to leave several notices , in big type, inside the car asking the same thing? That way the guy tasked to clean the car will get the message not relayed by the service desk.

Just saying.

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
I always tell them at time of booking the car in so its on the job sheet i sign. Also i leave a note in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I shall do that from on.
I felt kind of embarrassed to leave a note in, but I won't anymore.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I shall do that from on.

I've always done it, ever since I've had any car which I cared about. Just a sheet of A5 printed in big block letters with "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" stuck to the dash :)

I felt kind of embarrassed to leave a note in, but I won't anymore.

Don't. They're obviously not embarrassed about leaving it in a mess, don't give them the opportunity.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've always done it, ever since I've had any car which I cared about. Just a sheet of A5 printed in big block letters with "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" stuck to the dash :)

Done:

32062893040_ce3f16a9ed_o.jpg

:D:D:D

This goes into the glovebox for permanent residency. You're absolutely right,- why should I be embarrassed they don't care about their customers' cars...

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Mine has an A4 "Please Do Not Wash This Car" note inside, and the Service Manager (who knows what I'm like) writes it on the jobcard too.

I'm sure they understand.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Done:

This goes into the glovebox for permanent residency. You're absolutely right,- why should I be embarrassed they don't care about their customers' cars...

Will that stop them 'cleaning' the inside of your car and 'washing' the widows though?
I think a note is a great idea because people working on your car will also realise you care about your car and they should take more care as they know you will be checking it over.

Maybe I should have put a note on my dash saying, "no speeding whilst driving my car."
100mph on a dual carriageway as they drove it to the dealership for service.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You mean you got a free Italian tune up.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
In the case of MB Giffnock , three times :

Talking to the receptionist person - "Dont wash it as it was valeted two days ago"

Talking to my personal service person the first time - "Dont wash it as it was valeted two days ago"

Talking to my personal service person the second time when he told me the car was almost ready - "Dont wash it as it was valeted two days ago"

Got the keys back and guess what -- it had been washed :???:

When i returned to have the new wipers fitted they were even going to give it another going over but this time i insisted that i was in a hurry and had to go.

Kenny

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I was OK with it as I know it doesnt hurt the car but it's not the right thing to do and shows what they think of thier customers.
He didn't floor it though, just a gentle increase to 100mph so I had to do the Italian tune up a few days later.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will that stop them 'cleaning' the inside of your car and 'washing' the widows though?

It should, as it's all done by the same "department", so if the car is never taken to/by them, it'll be fine.

I think a note is a great idea because people working on your car will also realise you care about your car and they should take more care as they know you will be checking it over.

That's a very interesting and valid point, I hope it doesn't antagonise them though ...

Maybe I should have put a note on my dash saying, "no speeding whilst driving my car."
100mph on a dual carriageway as they drove it to the dealership for service.

I said to the customer service chap "I knew it was fixed, as I got a GPS alert it was moving fast along the dual carriageway" - this will be, most likely, passed on, so again, hopefully they be a little bit more attentive next time.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The wash bay at my local dealer

My Indy knows how obsessive I am about my car and had it valeted by a Polish guy with 2 buckets and a lambs wool mitt, it was spotless inside and out

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wish they'd stop nicking the parking change from the center console

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
While we're on this subject:

31783246674_aa42006d95_o.png

Harsh chemicals on your newly refurbished and GTechniq-treated wheels, sir?

31783249234_8bd06808ba_o.png

The pristine washing chamber (the one on the left) awaits your car!

32626591045_a996c12b8d_o.png

State of the art contactless washing technology ...

32247380140_e30c626d6d_o.png

In action ...

31783244794_523c3392f0_o.png

Don't know about the car, but at least the place is spotless!

By the way, this chap not just administer chemical spray, and smudge dirty towels on your car, inside and out, he also drives it in and out of the compound, whilst still wearing his gloves, with no plastic seat cover, and no paper floor mat cover either ... Lovely.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
When i returned to have the new wipers fitted they were even going to give it another going over but this time i insisted that i was in a hurry and had to go.

My dealer has always done a reasonable job but I asked them not to it when it went for MOT as it was clean and I was in a hurry. They still did it.

Mind you, we were shown my wife's new VW Tiguan when we went to sign the finance docs a few days before delivery. The salesman walked us through the area where the guys were washing other new cars - all with their engines idling and radios on so loud the first thing I did with ours was test the speakers weren't blown.

That the salesman didn't appear to even notice any of this means either they're too thick to care or I'm too fussy.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
My dealer has always done a reasonable job but I asked them not to it when it went for MOT as it was clean and I was in a hurry. They still did it.

Mind you, we were shown my wife's new VW Tiguan when we went to sign the finance docs a few days before delivery. The salesman walked us through the area where the guys were washing other new cars - all with their engines idling and radios on so loud the first thing I did with ours was test the speakers weren't blown.

That the salesman didn't appear to even notice any of this means either they're too thick to care or I'm too fussy.

That's the first lesson the salesmen get: take no notice of the customer!
- It's up to you to worry what they're doing with your 'hard-earned' - nobody else will!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My old boss had a fool proof way.
On the consent form he wrote "do not wash this car! If you do all your work will be free of charge. i will not pay.
I have brought this notice specifically to your attention.!"

It was in the days that dealer used an automated car wash.

Surprise surprise, They never washed it in error!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom