Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Winter Tyres and Chris Knott

Hi, I'm often asked on club forums (and Facebook groups) about switching to winter wheels/tyres and whether an insurer will charge extra if you do.

As it's getting to that time of year again I thought I'd just reassure any Chris Knott clients that the insurers we use don't usually charge for this. However, if you are thinking of swapping your wheels we do have to log when you make the switch and then again when you go back to normal - so please let us know on 0800 028 6463.

Thanks,
Nick

FEEDBACK

"Been with them for years now. I check about every year but so far the best price, understanding of simple mods / winter wheels and cust service has been there every time. Very happy so far." Joanna Cole, New Mini Scotland

"Excellent service when arranging insurance for 2 cars. As much as possible is done by email which is efficient..." Julian P, TrustPilot

"Quick, simple and always matching prices with trustworthy insurances." Carla, TrustPilot

"First class service. Cannot fault any of the service given, highly recommended." Paul H, TrustPilot

"Continuing my annual insurance search, Chris Knott have beaten my (already cheap) renewal by 10% but I’m getting some really outrageous quotes. Most north of £500 and a few into 4 figures!" Steve Ingall, Alfabook

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
However, if you are thinking of swapping your wheels we do have to log when you make the switch and then again when you go back to normal - so please let us know on 0800 028 6463.

Why on earth would you need to log that?
It's perfectly legal to use winter tyres in summer or vice versa, so why keep a log and who could possibly benefit from it?

OP
ChrisKnottIns

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
It is about the change of wheels really. Switching to winter tyres is one of the times that happens. Sometimes to save money people use steels or non-standard spec rims instead of alloys and we get asked if insurers need to know (modifications). It protects you from any comeback if you've notified the change even though there's no charge.

mark.s

MBO Forum Staff - CLS 320 (W219)
MBO Ad Sales & Partnerships
Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI remapped (W219)
I know of a member that went into the rear of a car, which the insurance company did not pay out as the Road Traffic Police checked tyre wear and was below legal limit.
Is this a similar thing Nick, to make sure you quote after market so you protect yourself of any possible comeback.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Sounds Jobsworth batty to me.
If winter steels and tyres are to the same dimensions as summer alloys and tyres, where's the big deal?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Taking this further , if you had a puncture and put the spare wheel on , do you need to inform your insurance company ?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Don't shoot the messenger. He's offering advice, take it or leave it.

mark.s

MBO Forum Staff - CLS 320 (W219)
MBO Ad Sales & Partnerships
Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI remapped (W219)
No ... but it wouldn't pass an MOT ;)

I thought if you had a spare tyre they checked it - Apparently they don't unless your cars space is fitted externally.

Seems strange to me that you need a space so why is it not checked ??

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
No ... but it wouldn't pass an MOT ;)
Why not?

I'm on the way to my MOT, I get a flat and change the wheel...automatic fail?
Doesn't sound right. This would mean any time you got a flat your car would be outside the MOT parameters.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I thought if you had a spare tyre they checked it - Apparently they don't unless your cars space is fitted externally.

Seems strange to me that you need a space so why is it not checked ??
Even then they don't look. My wife's old RAV4 had bald spare on the rear door...never checked.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here we go again .... back to five winters instead of four, in case you need to change a wheel.
Four winters and one summer? Automatic Mot fail?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Why not?

I'm on the way to my MOT, I get a flat and change the wheel...automatic fail?
Doesn't sound right. This would mean any time you got a flat your car would be outside the MOT parameters.

That's exactly what happened to my brother in law on the way to his MOT. And the tester is normally pretty sympathetic .... he's tested my cars for years.
This car had a skinny spare so the car now had different sized tyres on the same axle.

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Doesn't that mean that if we fit the spacesaver we are then illagal to be on the road?

This has me thinking that as my spare is a rusty steel I'm better swapping it for one of my winters during summer, and a summer during winter.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Spare wheels and tyres are not checked as part of the MOT.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Spare wheels and tyres are not checked as part of the MOT.
They check and report on the spare on my Land Rover as it’s sat in the bonnet in plain site. If it’s hidden away (or missing) then they don’t...

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
According to the Gov website, spare wheels are not checked. Back in the dim and distant, I think the rule was if it was there it was checked and if it wasn't there then they didn't check it (obviously!)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slight deviation, but still Mot related.

I was in process of fitting a towbar to one of mine, but electrics were not yet wired in, when Mot became due. Fortunately well-known at local garage. He suggested I put tape over the electrical socket next to the ball hitch.

Apparently, as said, if it's 'inaccessible' it can't be tested!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Slight deviation, but still Mot related.

I was in process of fitting a towbar to one of mine, but electrics were not yet wired in, when Mot became due. Fortunately well-known at local garage. He suggested I put tape over the electrical socket next to the ball hitch.

Apparently, as said, if it's 'inaccessible' it can't be tested!
Same on my VW when the tow ball was stowed in its bag with the tools.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
This advice would seem to me to be fairly obvious, if you change anything on your car from its standard specification you have to tell your insurance company. Fitting different wheels and/or different specification tyres is clearly a modification.

Top Bottom