Woe, Woe and Thrice Woe - The R129 has got to go :(

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
www.cypruspropertyvillas.com
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Just over a year ago I posted a tribute to my 1991 SL and how happy I was that bought it four years previously.

Since then I have had to buy a 4-door car for practical purposes, and I have just MOT'd the SL and realised how little driving she has had. The problem lies in having one drive and four cars - it's always a hassle to get the old girl out. And I am getting regular reminders that nobody needs two cars, wouldn't it be nice to have more parking space etc.

SLs need to work. The guy I bought it off had had it 7 years and said it would get better with regular driving and it certainly did. But then I was taking it out two or three times a week as it was my sole car. Now she is lucky to get a drive a month.

Anyway I have a tour to India starting Monday, then I will get the polish out, smarten it up and put it on the market as the sun starts shining. I am just flagging it here in case anyone is after a good one (and incidentally they are the only kind of 129 to buy. People on this forum can testify to the world of pain awaiting if you buy a dodgy one)

The original post with details of the car is below if anyone is interested.

I have learned a lot on this forum over the last 5 years so thanks to everyone.

Jon

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=140949

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As I recall your car that is a lovely example. :D:D

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Thank you Malcolm.

It's had a couple of improvements since you saw it :)

Although it will be a wrench to let it go, I balance that with thanks that my parents are still going strong approaching 90, and have accepted that driving is no longer a good plan. If I had a nice big garage like you I might be keeping it, but really they need regular use.

I hope I find an enthusiast to take over and it stays on the road for another 25 years at least.

Jon

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd be very willing to store it for you and take it for regular runs...;)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I was expecting that quip from the Kiwi, Alex, not heckling from the sidelines! I see your SL has gone from your profile - sad day?

Jon

Hi Jon,

You can always rely on me! :rolleyes:

Sold the SL last April. A combination of factors: too much traffic on roads, potholes, cyclists on rural roads (or rather the oncoming motorists overtaking them on my side of the road), speed cameras, speed limits in deserted rural villages. Sad it has gone, but delighted I had it for 10 years and had lots of memorable outings.

Buyer got a good deal, plus wind deflector, hard top stand and cover, etc.

Interestingly, that 1994 build had a couple of the plastics in the cockpit which had become brittle with age and I replaced them. Local dealer, given the VIN, got these from MB for next day delivery, all correctly colour coded.

For a 21 year old car, that makes it an iconic product. :D

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Buyer got a good deal, plus wind deflector, hard top stand and cover, etc.

:D

Can I ask how you sold it? I haven't sold a car since 1997, I realised this morning. And yes, I will be handing over the extra items too - no good to me once it's gone.

Cheers

Jon

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Can I ask how you sold it? I haven't sold a car since 1997, I realised this morning. And yes, I will be handing over the extra items too - no good to me once it's gone.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

I put it to Auction @ Silverstone. They were very effective and the car sold immediately for a tad over the reserve.

I had tried previously via the SL Shop - Sam there has a well rehearsed system for selling cars on behalf of a customer, but no interest was shown.

I think the problem the 129 has is that, although light years better than the 107 on any measure, it just has not captured the sentiment that leads older car prices to go back up - yet.

129s tend not to rust and there are lots on the market, so the prices remain low. There are excellent cars, with good provenance which represent super value for the discerning buyer. Selling them, however, can be another matter and it can be difficult to achieve differentiation on sale price between the best examples and the others - again, a boon for the discerning buyer.

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Hi Jon,

I put it to Auction @ Silverstone. They were very effective and the car sold immediately for a tad over the reserve.

I had tried previously via the SL Shop - Sam there has a well rehearsed system for selling cars on behalf of a customer, but no interest was shown.

I think the problem the 129 has is that, although light years better than the 107 on any measure, it just has not captured the sentiment that leads older car prices to go back up - yet.

129s tend not to rust and there are lots on the market, so the prices remain low. There are excellent cars, with good provenance which represent super value for the discerning buyer. Selling them, however, can be another matter and it can be difficult to achieve differentiation on sale price between the best examples and the others - again, a boon for the discerning buyer.

Yes, I think that probably sums things up very well. 129's day will come, but not for a while yet. And anyone who has spent time on the forum knows a bad example is a nightmare money pit.

I paid £5k for mine and have had 5 years and 15,000 miles so as long as I get more than half of that back I shan't grieve. (That was for your benefit!)

Thanks

Jon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes, I think that probably sums things up very well. 129's day will come, but not for a while yet. And anyone who has spent time on the forum knows a bad example is a nightmare money pit.

I paid £5k for mine and have had 5 years and 15,000 miles so as long as I get more than half of that back I shan't grieve. (That was for your benefit!)

Thanks

Jon

Yours is very nice one, one of the nicest that I have seen.

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24

bennyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 w126 300se, 1998 mgf vvc 2002 santa fe, juke company car fe
Wish this was two weeks earlier!. would have had this over the MG in a flash.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom