Worried about steering!

PhilTilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI
Recently purchased CLK 320 CDI with Sport trim and 19" AMG alloys (which I didn't want, but it was the best deal going!)

Runs very nicely, albeit uncomfortable over potholes - that's why I didn't want the Sport trim!

All seemed well until yesterday, when we travelled back to the westcountry from London. Around Andover, the road surface was quite bad - not potholes, but very uneven patching or something. It seemed to throw the car about more than I expected and caused the wife to jump!

For the rest of the journey (wet road, admittedly) it just didn't 'feel right'. If I waggled the steering slightly, it was as though the car was wallowing a bit. Took it out this morning and it felt much the same - almost as if a wheel was loose! Stopped and checked all wheel nuts, and no problem. Tried pulling and pushing at the top of each wheel, but no discernable movement.

Is it just that I am not used to these blasted rubber bands they call low-profile tyres (after 17 years in my 300CE!) or do these symptoms ring a bell with anybody?

Phil

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
19" wheels on a CLK is a bit much, and can cause tram lining

OP
P

PhilTilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI
Sorry - my mistake (I said it was recently bought!)

It has 225/40ZR18 tyres on the front and 255/35ZR18s on the back.

Phil

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Broken spring? Sounds like mine felt when that happened.

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
God! I hope not! Will check tomorrow.

It's not a huge deal. They are 10 a penny on Mercs (broken ones, not new ones), especially with the roads as they are currently.

Last edited:

shah2105

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C240 Sport W202 1999 (Obsidian Black)
While the wheel size can cause tramlining, this sounds like broken springs or shock absorbers.

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
it was as though the car was wallowing a bit. Took it out this morning and it felt much the same - almost as if a wheel was loose!
A symptom of loose wheel nuts is a knocking noise that sounds as if it's coming from under the car (sounds like someone knocking on a door).
What about if the bad road surface has caused a front lower swivel joint to wear and become loose ? If there was some wear in it to start with, a bit of encouragement on a harsh road surface would soon make it worse.

Or possibly an anti roll bar drop link. If one has broken, the front anti roll bar won't have any effect and could cause some wallowing compared to normal.
On the old W124s, the front wishbones were susceptible to rust where the bottom swivel joint was attached, and in an extreme case they could completely let go of the front hub.

I can't find the picture he sent me, but the same thing happened to a merc 124 turbo diesel belonging to a friend of mine about 2 years ago. Luckily he was only backing out of his drive when it happened.

3883020342_3d22a8b5ed.jpg

I guess later designs are more durable, but just to be sure, it's probably worth having a look under the car or getting it on a ramp to see if there's anything adrift.

OP
P

PhilTilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CDI
Thanks to those who have responded.

The car is due to go in for an MOT on Wednesday, so I guess I shall find out the worst then!

Anyone like to place any bets as to whether my WarrantyWise Platinum warranty will cover the work?

Phil

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
I bet it's a steering or suspension joint that needs replaced.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Thanks to those who have responded.

The car is due to go in for an MOT on Wednesday, so I guess I shall find out the worst then!

Anyone like to place any bets as to whether my WarrantyWise Platinum warranty will cover the work?

Phil

OK then Phil....what was the outcome of the MOT / steering problem, please?

Ernie

Top Bottom