worry about owning mercedes benz

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Does any one worry about owning a mercedes because every one keeps saying that they are so costly to fix .
Would you start to worry about the cost of repairs so much that you start to think there is a fault in your car (hear noises etc) although there may be nothing wrong.
Would this problem in your head become so bad that it starts to take the enjoyment out of driving your mercedes. :confused:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As some one recently posted..

dont-worry.png

Life really is too short. Just enjoy the now and deal with the then when, if it happens

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
No, I just deal with problems if and when they arise. Same as anything else in life. I am not saying don't be pro active and on your guard, but what is the use in worrying over "what if's"? I have far more important things to occupy my time.

Simon21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 W124 250TD
I drive a Mercedes Benz that I can afford to break for parts and scrap if it gets a terminal condition.

I run it on free fuel.

I have the best of all possible worlds :D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You say everyone says they are so costly to fix. I've never heard anyone suggest they are any dearer to fix than any other luxury brand. My brother has run an A class for over 5 years -no repair or maintenance bills other than usual servicing. Daughter also has A class and no problems in 4 years and counting.

Recently saw E class diesel for sale at local dealer with 550,000 miles on the clock and still on the original engine. Not many makes can equal that.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 C220 cdi Avantgard SE
Touch wood, all the parts I have hads to buy have been cheap. In fact, some of the parts were cheaper for my E class than they were for my Rover 220 Sdi! The insurance is cheap for me and the running costs are low because I run a diesel.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Our C250TD gave us 12 years of faithful service, with no particular problems. :)

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
No i don't worry as fortunately one of the best indies in the country fairly local to me.

I wouldn't have kept my car so long if i had been forced into the main dealers arms, i'd be sweating on the next £2k+ bill when the next thing failed.

I would indeed did use the main dealer for my Toyota pick up, but then Toyota main dealers of the family owned variety are a world apart from others in terms of customer care, desire to retain and value for money, and the marque is a world apart in terms of long term reliability too.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Does any one worry about owning a mercedes because every one keeps saying that they are so costly to fix .
Would you start to worry about the cost of repairs so much that you start to think there is a fault in your car (hear noises etc) although there may be nothing wrong.
Would this problem in your head become so bad that it starts to take the enjoyment out of driving your mercedes. :confused:

You've described me! I blame company cars - I had them for 25years and I bought my wife a new car every 5 years and never had any significant issues with her car.

I opted out of the company car scheme and bought my MB - my job changed almost straight after and I work from home and do way less mileage than I anticipated so I still have the same car as it hasn't done a lot of miles. In the sameish time-frame my daughters got cars too so I'm 'responsible' for 4 cars now so even more to worry about!

I've somehow never gelled with the MB and don't really enjoy driving it. It does the job - economical motorway cruiser - but then I worry about leaving it places when I get there in case someone dents it or steal the star!

Must go - off for another therapy session. :)

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Worrying achieves nothing. Keep calm and carry on.........

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy."

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Try this: when you buy a Mercedes, consider that you've already spent 10% extra on putting it right (but keep money in the bank).

After a few years you may be agreably surprised to find most of it still there. ;)

If not, well, you'd already spent it anyway.

uktivo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M Class
Try owing a land rover discovery 3.. I'm constantly waiting for the thing to fail.. And normally I don't have to wait long..

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Try owing a land rover discovery 3.. I'm constantly waiting for the thing to fail.. And normally I don't have to wait long..

Funnily enough, someone at work was at great pains to tell me how wonderful his one was. He sold it as he moved into the city. Said it was ace, reliable and relatively frugal for what it offered and was by far the best car he's ever had.

I used to say that about my last Mercedes. This one nah....

Good and bad 'uns where ever you go.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Yes except Range Rover have the remarkable achievement of being the most unreliable car money can buy in the UK ten years in a row (see What Car).

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I was naturally a bit like the original poster - the odd knock or vibration here, the odd squeak, is the temperature gauge too high, what is the oil pressure gauge doing, can I smell a bit of fuel, is the gearchange/idle slightly rough...after any of these i'd always want to get it checked.

Yet despite having all of the above happen in some form and my procrastination over them, none of the above has ever materialised into an actual problem. My only breakdown in over 65k miles of Merc motoring has been my currently unresolved problem of engine cutting out 10 seconds after start up which just happened suddenly despite prior to this the engine recently running sweetly on a 1k mile road trip (and beating my mpg record), giving no forewarning at all!

So once I get the car back working I'm (hopefully not for the small fortune i suspect it might cost) I'm just going to enjoy the car and to hell with messing around with listening for very minor things and being too keen on preventative medicine....i'll just put the stereo up and enjoy until it don't work no more, life is too short!

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
Almost 45k in the last 2 and half or so years and my S class hasn't missed a beat. Ok it does drink a little fuel but I'm happy as long as I don't spend large sums on constant repairs like I did on my previous car.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Worry not. We have had 8 MBs in the family over the last 20 years. I keep detailed records of all car expenses.

Almost all costs have been servicing, MOTs, Tax and insurance, plus some consumables (tyres for example).

I have only ever had one bill over £500 (190 saloon, 36,000 service, inc brakes, brake fluid change V belt - at a dealership) and one bill over £400 (SL 500 new MAF). Other than that, bills have been in the range £80 to £336.

There have been several threads on the Forum debating the merits of warranty schemes. My experience is that these would not have served me well over the years. I think the MBs we have had, and have now, are well engineered and reliable products.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216

You made a very useful point. I do understand what you mean especially when budget is tight. I did worry initially but decided to wave it aside as worrying will take away the joy of ownership of these vehicles. But you could avoid worrying so much if you carefully choose your purchase so as to avoid lemon cars that could put a sour taste on the tongue. Such bad experiences could make ownership a pain. Proud owner of two V8 engines. :D!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom