WTD: Advice for driving in snow

B

bigharj

My S320 is shod with 275/35 19's at the rear and yesterday it was the only car on the roads that could not go up any minor incline!

Thanks to all those patient drivers who just waited behind me until I decided to give up, turn around and then abandon the car closer to home.

Has anybody had similar experiences and what were the remedies if any?

Thanks

Harj

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
take the bus!

:lol::lol::lol:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
You could try reducing the tyre pressures but to be honest 275 is too wide, even in the wet a lot of the time, let alone ice. It looks good but actually is counter productive for grip most of the time. I'd suggest getting some normal wheels with winter tyres and keeping the 275s for summer.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
You could try reducing the tyre pressures but to be honest 275 is too wide, even in the wet a lot of the time, let alone ice. It looks good but actually is counter productive for grip most of the time. I'd suggest getting some normal wheels with winter tyres and keeping the 275s for summer.

I agree. 225 55 16s are the regular size, but slimmer if you wish - the tyre fitters will advise.

trebronic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 CDI 2006
Tyres in Snow

I had major problems with my CLK in the snow and couldn't find any snow tyres but on my way back from B&Q with 6 bags of rock salt in the boot the car drove up snow covered hills.
So back to B&Q and purchased a piece of 3 ply 3 foot by 2 foot and a flag of the same size placed both in the boot and "hey presto" a new car. I don't have to find flat routes for my journeys.
And yes if I get a puncture it will be a pain in the A**e lifting the flag out but most of the shackles are off
Cheers Dave

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just back from Helsinki where many of the roads were covered with a mix of snow and ice, the parks had two feet of snow in open spaces and the temperature was down around -11 at mid day.

Saw plenty of Mercedes, E and S class whizzing around as if none of it existed. Just goes to show what winter tyres can do.

350doc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Avantgarde 1998
I concur with getting winter tyres. My W210 E Class has had no difficulties, including when visiting an isolated restaurant in Deveon whre no car without 4WD had been recently.

bahram

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class w203 c200K 2004
My S320 is shod with 275/35 19's at the rear and yesterday it was the only car on the roads that could not go up any minor incline!

Thanks to all those patient drivers who just waited behind me until I decided to give up, turn around and then abandon the car closer to home.

Has anybody had similar experiences and what were the remedies if any?

Thanks

Harj

Snow Socks

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

:D:D

alan782

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi (211) avantgard estate zzr1400(2012)
I put snow chains on (£32 from bay), and it was like driving my A6 quattro. I really cannot recommend them high enough. Only takes a couple of minuets each side to put on and less than a minuet to take off, keep them in the spare wheel well when not in use. Also always keep a shovel to help the other people blocking the road get out the way!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom