X Class

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
When my W204 gets too old I quite fancy leasing an Infiniti, they do a nice 3.5 hybrid in the Q50.
Nearly bought an Infiniti Q50 about six months ago, but opted for a W204 face lift. The Q50 is a very impressive car and I still havn't discarded the thought of owning one in the future. :)

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Things like platform/engine sharing between manufacturers aren't new. The lower powered diesel engines in Minis and 1 Series' are shared with Toyota. Audi/Porsche/VW/Bentley all share platforms and engines. Jag still use the old AJ series V6 motors that Ford developed back in the 90s/00s! Aston with the AMG V8s too.

This will only increase across the industry and the X Class will sell. It's not a pretty looking thing from the front, the rear is very nice mind. Seems to review well.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Nothing at all. The diesels tend towards clattering but they are quite robust.

I’ve spent a bit of time with the X Class. It’s about as much Nissan as the Infiniti’s are Mercedes- that is, it’s clearly a Navara platform and that’s where the similarities end. The interior is totally MB (pretty much C class transplanted). The NVH pack is pure MB. The drivetrain is pure MB. Styling wise it retains the Navara general shape but that’s about it.

you sure about this Craig? as ive just found this article which suggests otherwise

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news...a-nissan/ar-BBH1X2l?li=AA8sb7&ocid=spartanntp

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
all I can see when I look at it is a navara ! same as the fiat outback looks like the doner car , the L200 ! I totally understand why its here , merc don't have one in their line up and its much cheaper to borrow an already existing design / platform , im sure they will sell a few of course if only on the badge snobbery alone

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
you sure about this Craig? as ive just found this article which suggests otherwise

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news...a-nissan/ar-BBH1X2l?li=AA8sb7&ocid=spartanntp

Very. The X Class has, according to the MB press release for the Frankfurt Motorshow that just happens to be on my desk (qv):

NISSAN NAVARA PLATFORM
New Front End (inc MB headlamps)
New door skin
New rear bed (inc MB tail lamps)
New hood
New dashboard
New door panels (I think this means door cards)
Mercedes interior
LIMITED Nissan carry over switches (4WD rotary).

Incidentally to please Jon, the engine selection is confirmed as "QR25 (2.5 turbo petrol), M9T (2.3 turbo diesel) plus a high-power MERCEDES 3.0 V6 CDI with permanent AWD".

Transmissions on offer are 6 speed manual and 7 speed auto.

Models available:

X200 (2.5 petrol, 168bhp/ 238N.m, manual only, LHD only).
X220d (2.3 diesel, 163bhp/ 403N.m, 6 speed manual RWD and 6-spd manual/ 7-spd auto AWD)
X250d (2.3 diesel, 190bhp/ 450N.m, 6 speed manual RWD and 6-spd manual/ 7-spd auto AWD)
X350d (3.0 diesel, 258bhp/ 550N.m, 7-spd auto AWD)

So- like I said, MB have taken the Navara, changed the visible bits into something that looks different, added their own tech and "Mercedesness" flavor and created a totally new product range.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very. The X Class has, according to the MB press release for the Frankfurt Motorshow that just happens to be on my desk (qv):

NISSAN NAVARA PLATFORM
New Front End (inc MB headlamps)
New door skin
New rear bed (inc MB tail lamps)
New hood
New dashboard
New door panels (I think this means door cards)
Mercedes interior
LIMITED Nissan carry over switches (4WD rotary).

Incidentally to please Jon, the engine selection is confirmed as "QR25 (2.5 turbo petrol), M9T (2.3 turbo diesel) plus a high-power MERCEDES 3.0 V6 CDI with permanent AWD".

Transmissions on offer are 6 speed manual and 7 speed auto.

Models available:

X200 (2.5 petrol, 168bhp/ 238N.m, manual only, LHD only).
X220d (2.3 diesel, 163bhp/ 403N.m, 6 speed manual RWD and 6-spd manual/ 7-spd auto AWD)
X250d (2.3 diesel, 190bhp/ 450N.m, 6 speed manual RWD and 6-spd manual/ 7-spd auto AWD)
X350d (3.0 diesel, 258bhp/ 550N.m, 7-spd auto AWD)

So- like I said, MB have taken the Navara, changed the visible bits into something that looks different, added their own tech and "Mercedesness" flavor and created a totally new product range.

but still the Nissan 2.3 diesel engine and 4x4/AWD (whichever term you prefer) system. yes the panels may have SLIGHT differences and it may have a MB interior but the 2.3 version especially, it just seems like theyre trying to do the proverbial polishing of a turd. the Navara may well be a capable enough vehicle BUT with so few mechanical changes on the smaller engine version, I cant help wondering if the differences will be worth the extra money? unless theyre both at the same price point (more or less)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
but still the Nissan 2.3 diesel engine and 4x4/AWD (whichever term you prefer) system. yes the panels may have SLIGHT differences and it may have a MB interior but the 2.3 version especially, it just seems like theyre trying to do the proverbial polishing of a turd. the Navara may well be a capable enough vehicle BUT with so few mechanical changes on the smaller engine version, I cant help wondering if the differences will be worth the extra money? unless theyre both at the same price point (more or less)

Yes the 2.3 engine on the smaller engine models- this fits in keeping with existing MB practice (160, 180 etc). Panels don't have slight differences, they're totally different while conforming to the Navara platform. I'll say again, it's the same as the difference between an Infiniti Q30 and an M-B A Class. The platform is the same, some switches are the same, some engines and transmissions are shared, everything else is different.

Whether or not the difference is worth (for what value of "worth"?) the extra money is purely down to personal choice. And that's the same as anyone looking to buy any car.

And... remember. The UK market for pickup trucks- and our view of them here- is both tiny and completely different to how the rest of the world views them. From luxury and convenience (Saudi) to a way of life (Texas) to a means of carrying a DshKA (TPLACs) people want them for lots of different things.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Interestingly our local TV transport guy, Paul Clifton, was yesterday at Fairford doing a piece on the technology in cars for an Award on Jan 23rd in conjunction with Thatcham. One of the ten cars is the X Class, all the others are saloons.

Interesting to see the results in Jan.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Heheh. Fiat just scored a first. The first zero star Euro NCAP rating!!!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i do know, having talked online to some people from America, the Navara is too small to be of any use over there, and they still want V8 engines!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i do know, having talked online to some people from America, the Navara is too small to be of any use over there, and they still want V8 engines!
That’s a wee bit of a generalisation. The Navarra is a 1 ton pickup which makes up around 60% of the US light truck market.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's some achievement!
They must have worked hard at that. Even the £2k-when-new Tata cr@pboxes score one star. I seem to recall that NCAP refused to rate the proposed compressed-air powered car on the basis that it was more dangerous to its occupants and anyone nearby than if the occupants weren’t in a car at all, but a zero score... ouch.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s a wee bit of a generalisation. The Navarra is a 1 ton pickup which makes up around 60% of the US light truck market.

as ive never been to the USA I can only comment on what ive been told by people who live there. the navara (or at least the old model, I'm assuming the new one isn't hugely different) appears to be a chunk narrower than the American pick-up dads cousin had (no idea which one it was, it was a Chevrolet one, probably a competitor for the F150 Ford) and, whilst the capacity may be the same, I think it may well be a bit shorter from bumper to bumper than the American offerings. I mean just look at the cars to compare sizes. over here the Mondeo is classed as a rule as being a BIG car (compare it with most car parking bays! and there isn't many proper cars around (excluding 4x4s) noticeably bigger, if you ignore the likes of the 7 series, A8 and S class which aren't exactly what you would call common. I cant remember the last S class I saw around here, for example) whereas the americans class it as a MID size, I believe!!!

I also don't know how the pricing would compare to the US for a European vehicle to be sold over there, but I know that you can get an F150 new, in basic form for about $20k US. the Mustang in V8 form starts (over here) at £35k (approx.) whereas the 'same' car in the US is $35k US (whatever that converts as). I think buying US trucks in the US may well also be a price driven decision, which I think even badges as a Nissan, the Navara could well be too expensive and under powered for US tastes. apart from fuel costs, there must be a reason they still have so many HUGE engine vehicles over there. its common for a diesel pick up over there (I think top gear had a Chevy one when Clarkson & co were still doing it) to have 6.-odd Cummins diesel engines fitted as standard! now going from a 6 litre + diesel to a 2.3 in a competitors vehicle will seem gutless. and if its more expensive to have less power, its not going to sell there, from what I can gather, but I could well be wrong

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom