Xenons and new mot rules

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
Just found this.

2011 VOSA changes to MOT
Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.
HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.
Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).
Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.
Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I would be interested to have an experts view on Chipped ECU's (possibly one of the traders on here who deal in this business) as i was actually looking to have mine chipped soon.

I wouldnt have thought chipping a car can make it any less environment friend.

On a different note, i totally agree with HID kits as most of them are way tooo bright and blind the oncoming traffic.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
On a different note, i totally agree with HID kits as most of them are way tooo bright and blind the oncoming traffic.

I drove a W 220 for 3 + years after fitting it with after market Xenons which were more powerful light emitters than OEMs. It did have headlamp washers, but no leveling device for the headlamps, although it had Airmatic suspension.

In that time I had not one single comment from oncoming drivers at night.

My wife's W 202 C Class had the halogen headlamps "adjusted" by the MOT centre (£10 charge) in order to pass the MOT and the same day she was being advised by all oncoming motorists. She went back and had them corrected by the same people - no refund! and all was well again.

I drove about 40 miles to Birmingham Airport on Guy Fawkes night. The weather was appalling. Many people were out and about and very many headlights were causing dazzle, although the cars were moving quite slowly. I concluded that many folk rarely drive at night, that their windscreens were for the most part incapable of being seen through (filthy, misted up, poor wiper blades), so they were driving slower on main beam because they could not see where they were going on dipped!!

Just goes to show - you can not generalize on these things and, even if there were no Xenons, there would still be major problems, whereas a car with correctly fitted Xenons does not cause other drivers difficulties.

As usual we don't need new rules (or "guidelines") - we just need to comply with the current set. But I suppose further rules will achieve that? Not!

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I drove a W 220 for 3 + years after fitting it with after market Xenons which were more powerful light emitters than OEMs. It did have headlamp washers, but no leveling device for the headlamps, although it had Airmatic suspension.

In that time I had not one single comment from oncoming drivers at night.

My wife's W 202 C Class had the halogen headlamps "adjusted" by the MOT centre (£10 charge) in order to pass the MOT and the same day she was being advised by all oncoming motorists. She went back and had them corrected by the same people - no refund! and all was well again.

I drove about 40 miles to Birmingham Airport on Guy Fawkes night. The weather was appalling. Many people were out and about and very many headlights were causing dazzle, although the cars were moving quite slowly. I concluded that many folk rarely drive at night, that their windscreens were for the most part incapable of being seen through (filthy, misted up, poor wiper blades), so they were driving slower on main beam because they could not see where they were going on dipped!!

Just goes to show - you can not generalize on these things and, even if there were no Xenons, there would still be major problems, whereas a car with correctly fitted Xenons does not cause other drivers difficulties.

As usual we don't need new rules (or "guidelines") - we just need to comply with the current set. But I suppose further rules will achieve that? Not!

Alex, I have recently found BOY RACERS in their corsa's fitting cheap HID's on their cars which are way too bright. I had one behind me yesterday and it was way too bright (even through my auto dimmed RWM)

I am sure if they are fine if fitted professionally

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

actually they do not have in car beam adjusters, as opposed to the standard fit in car adjusters on non-xenon cars. i imagine this was just a typo anyway, but wanted to clear it up for other readers.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
actually they do not have in car beam adjusters, as opposed to the standard fit in car adjusters on non-xenon cars. i imagine this was just a typo anyway, but wanted to clear it up for other readers.

Xenons have adjustment motors built into the headlamp unit and are controlled automatically by the car by taking readings from the suspension sensors, along with a speed signal. They monitor the car's attitude and adjust the lights on the fly to help maintain a level beam. During acceleration or braking adjustments are made more frequently.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
correct, hence they have no in car height adjustment, being automatically controlled. i believe this is to satisfy legislation designed to avoid situations where HID lamps on dip are aimed too high, as they are thought to be more dazzling in such a situation than equivalent halogens. it is perfectly easy to misalign them however, by using the manual adjusters on the lamps.

obviously the point i was making for clarity in post #7 above was that a mercedes with legal factory fitted xenons will NOT have an in car height adjuster next to the light switch, where a car with halogen dip and main will.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
But they all have adjusters built into the lamps themselves

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes malcolm, as said by peter above, post #8. generally a very effective system that works well.

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
As far as I know self leveling suspension (aka citroens) is enough to satisfy VOSA requirements for self leveling headlights.

355marcus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
The thing that I love most about the you cant do that you havent got self levelling, or I dont dazzle because i've got self levelling is this. Just because a system self levels that doesn't mean the lamps will be pointing in the right direction, unless there's something im unaware of?, As i understood it the self levelling only reacted about the set point of the lights themselves rather than knowing where the correct position was!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The thing that I love most about the you cant do that you havent got self levelling, or I dont dazzle because i've got self levelling is this. Just because a system self levels that doesn't mean the lamps will be pointing in the right direction, unless there's something im unaware of?, As i understood it the self levelling only reacted about the set point of the lights themselves rather than knowing where the correct position was!

Correct. The light must be set correctly like any other type using the MoT checking equipment. Then the auto-leveling system will help maintain that position as the car dips and rises.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom