Year 2000 S500 Toys!

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2002 & C350 CDI 2010
Hi guys

Only just registered so i apoligise if this has been asked a 100 times! (I have searched but couldnt find!)

I wonder if any one could be kind enough to give me some advice? Ive done alot of searching, but would rather hear from the people who own and drive these cars!.
Ever since leaving school, ive always brought older but higher spec cars. I find you get so much car and luxury for the money, .Having owned Range Rovers, an early Rolls Silver Spirit etc, ive recently started looking at the big mercedes.

Needing a cheap run around for my partner to replace a lil Ford Focus, i picked up a £700 CLK 200 on a 2000. Awesome car! Looks so much more car than £700! and drivers superb.. So now its my turn, and im looking at the £2500-£3000 S500/S600 year 2000 ish

Have read loads about them, but just wondered if theres a definate "wish list" of toys to look for? I understand im buying in at the cheapest end and the car isnt going to be 100%, but theres lots of S500 on a 2000 ish for around £2500..
Id love aircon seats!, Sat nav, but have read of massage seats electric rears, TV, picnic tables etc!!! Is the Limo better equiped?
Any advise on what specs are a must have would be fantastic!

Many Thanks in advance

Tel

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Good morning and welcome to the Forum.

The S 500 is an excellent choice (good performance, good economy for such a large car, excellent spec, will never have been thrashed).

Large petrol cars of that era sell for a big discount because of their size and appetite for fuel. The 500 is very well specced anyway, but look for Xenon lights (non Xenons on the W220 were poor). Most 500s will probably have COMAND, and beyond that, go for the best car you can find without worrying about any other toys.

Bear in mind that MBs of that era were very prone to rusting, but once you have found a rust free car, then you stand to get the most lbs for £ on the road.

They are quite big cars, but do tend to "shrink to fit" once you drive them. They are surprisingly quick and nimble. I think the Limousine might just be too big for everyday use, unless you particularly value your rear seat comfort though.

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your a gentleman Alex! Thanks for the reply!

I realise im buying at the bottom end, and have seen a few adverts stating rusty arches. Im not in no hurry, so can wait for a nice one to come along. To be honest the large size is whats appealing. Take parents out of a weekend, and is easier for mum to get in and out of a big car.
Ive read everything from 18-30 MPG, but was realistically hopeing to get about 20 MPG (same as my Range Rover)

Will keep an eye out for the headlamps! Thanks! and have seen a few adverts stating that they had them!. But its all the toys what i was after! ;)

Would like cream leather, outside colour im not that worried about.

Tel

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
S500's offer fantastic value for money. I have xenons and they are very good as are heated seats and sat nav etc. 20mpg on average is about right. As far as I'm aware electric rear seats were only available on the long wheel base models, but I may be wrong.

Good luck with your search.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
S500's offer fantastic value for money. I have xenons and they are very good as are heated seats and sat nav etc. 20mpg on average is about right. As far as I'm aware electric rear seats were only available on the long wheel base models, but I may be wrong.

Good luck with your search.

You are right on all points - and realistic on 20 mpg - although on a motorway cruise I could imagine 28 might be possible?

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
You are right on all points - and realistic on 20 mpg - although on a motorway cruise I could imagine 28 might be possible?

I've managed 34mpg on the trip computer, but that was being very careful with the accelerator, goes to show even big luxury V8 beasts can be half reasonable on fuel.

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys
Thanks so much for all your advice! Spent the last week building my wish list for a S500. Xenons, air con seats, command, massage seats is a plus! Then the weekend I parked next to a CL500.
Getting home and having a look through the net I see a few on there for £3800 with these same toys!

Always been put off as I thought the s had more gadgets, and suspected the cl to be just a bigger version of the other halfs little clk 200. But in reality it looks an impressive car. Seems the right car could have as many toys as the s500, same engine, and only a few cm shorter..

Am really torn now, if I wait a month I could fund the cl, or do I stick with the bigger s500??

Anything to particularly look for with a cl? Same sorta year 99" or 2000

Cheers

Tel

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Most CL's come with more or all the toy, for the S a loaded one is not so easy to find as many were hire or company cars.

The CL has the ABC system for the suspension rather than air as used on the S. The ABC gives very little trouble on this score on the 215 CL.
Wires breaking in the doors can be a problem owing to the cantilever hinges.

The 215 is double glazed but some early ones can rust around the rear end and wheel arches, without going to the AMG it only comes with the 213 500 engine, and that is a good lump.

Many 215's around with comfort seats, distronic all have the early Comand 2.5 nav system.

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Awesome! Thank you!

Is the air suspension ride that much superior? I'm beginning to think the CL looks a later car (when I put my cover plate on it) and like the S Class, for under 4k, looks so much car..
Am really torn, would be handy for the S to be able to get parents in the back, I'm guessing the CL is a stoop down and swing in like the CLK.

The light blue looks awesome on both and now I know the CL has all the toys too!!

Totally understand I'm buying in at the cheapest end, so I expect a few issues along the way, but guessing the engines sound to 175k.. Surely the 5litres hardly working!! Is the MPG similar in real life?

I guess the answer is to go try one of each, I just don't like messing sellers about deciding what I' want. Would rather be 90% set on a model.. So please forgive me for all the questions.. Have found through experience the guys to know best are the guys that live with these cars

Thanks for any advice guys

Tel

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Distronic!!! Just looked it up on You Tube, Is this the same as Distronic Plus?

Is it for real? Wow! That's some serious bit of kit!,

It's worth the extra £1000 just for the less stressful mornings on the M25 each day!,,,,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 113 engine is a very good lump with very few problem ever. fuel expect 20-24 around town and some mixed driving, 28 on a run is possible. 0 to 62 in 6.2 seconds.

Distronic I would never be without, the plus did not come till around 04ish.

It is important more than anything else other than rust is the inside, any bits missing or damaged are expensive.

You can find some Sclass 220's with all the goodies but as before, few and far between

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Television

Your a star!! Again sorry for all the newbie questions. What's the must have list (if I'm lucky enough to find a jewel!)

Command
Distronic (sounds awesome) is it that good?
Air cool seats
Soft close doors
Know some have TV
Is keyless an impossibility?
Xenon headlights

Really appreciate your advice. Just got an insurance quote of a grand. So not bad. 20-24 mpg im more than happy with! (range rover only doing similar).
Will keep eye out for the rusty ones! Do you mind me asking what colour yours is? I'm really turning towards the CL as I think it looks a little more modern

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
My advice is take your time and read up on here about the model you are interested in. You will need your wits about you, as you would buying any older complex car at the cheaper end of the market. But bargains are there to be had.

Both cars are very complex and can be a nightmare if you choose badly. However if you do your homework and don't rush in, then you can end up with a car which has a extremely large bang-per-buck quotient which will not lead to financial ruin.

Good luck!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many have keyless go all have soft close door, TV would you ever use it, I have had it in the last 2 cars and never use it.

They all have xenon lamps

The extra list as of 04 is
Garage door opener
pnuematic rear head rest
Surround sound Bose
Nappa leather
Comfort seats
Wood leather steering wheel
18" alloys
TV
Keyless go
Distonic
Linguartronic
Rear fridge

Not sure if there was an AMG body kit

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm really in no hurry. I appreciate I'm looking for a lot, but it's really through choice I'm changing. So can take my time as something will come up at some point!

Lol @ television! Yeah your right. I got tvs in the range and don't think I've ever watched them!! So true!!

Can I just ask what rear access is like? Squeezing in the back of the clk 200 is a bit tight for mum n dad (loads leg room, but tight to get in) but the CL is a bit longer.

Again. Thanks for all the help guys. It's really appreciated. Think I'd better sign up and become a paid member!!

Thank you
Tel

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The rear access is not bad and easier that the smaller coupes, I have 2 CL coupes and neither are that user friendly for the rear seats, you may get 2 people in the boot though

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys. Appreciate it's your Sunday off, but wonder if anyone can give me any advice? Have found a CL500 . Am going to have a look Tuesday. (not sure if I can post a link?).
Have spoke to the dealers assistant today (Sunday) and he doesn't know a lot about the car as its away being Valeted.
Its Aubergine with black leather. Seems to have a fair few toys. The guy says he's sure it doesn't have heated/cooled/ massage seats, or keyless or distronics. He seems to think these are only on cl600. These are all on my wish list. So am torn now.
Pics in ad show 4 buttons on electric seats, which I thought meant had massage?
Could anyone give there opinion? Or have quick look at ad? Would be massive help.
Cheers. Tel

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom