Yellow/Amber lenses for driving ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Does anyone ever use yellow lensed glasses to drive on dull grey days , I left some safety specs on by accident the other day when I took the car out on a classic grey Welsh day , it was only when I took them off that I felt my mood drop when I saw how grey the weather actually was . I think I might leave a pair in the car permanently .

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Does anyone ever use yellow lensed glasses to drive on dull grey days , I left some safety specs on by accident the other day when I took the car out on a classic grey Welsh day , it was only when I took them off that I felt my mood drop when I saw how grey the weather actually was . I think I might leave a pair in the car permanently .

You can buy driving glasses on ebay, they are meant to reduce dazzle from on coming cars and hence help with night driving.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
yellow safety glasses

most places selling tools should sell yellow safety specs

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yellow lenses are "light enhancing" effectively for human eyes.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Amber glasses / lenses improve vision on rainy or foggy days, they seem to block out some of the "mush" and they extend your field of vision. Quite a few sunglasses manufactures make amber driving glasses.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Haven't used them for driving, but they are great for flying gliders as they really improve the contrast of light clouds against the blue sky, making it a lot easier to pick up a thermal. I guess they would have a similar effect when driving, improving the contrast in murky weather and making cars, etc stand out more against the background.

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks folks , might swing by screwfix and get an unscratched pair for the car glovebox , they certainly lift the mood on our grey weather days .

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I would be a it careful buying them from Screwfix, you are letting more light in, I would want them to have good UV protection.

Go and try a few on from people like Ray Ban, they are pretty amazing. Living in Wales probably worth the investment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bolle do a great range of these (Bloc may do them as well).

The issue isn't that they let more light in - they do the opposite (any filter reduces light reaching the eye). The issue with UV is that because they reduce light into the eye the pupil opens wider allowing more UV into the eye unless the lens also filters for UV.

That said yellow is opposite end of the spectrum to blue so has a certain level of UV filtering as a result.

The whole yellow lens/improved contrast thing was the thinking behind the selective yellow lenses fitted to french car headlights all those years ago.
Blue light scatters more than any other colour and red/yellow the least, hence yellow light tends to be less dispersed by water vapour than normal car headlights (particularly HiDs and LEDs).

fidge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2013
My prescription glasses have yellow lenses. They can also help night driving, if they're not too dark.

BarryB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 200 Sport Premium 2017
I use a special pair that fit over my glasses on my motorcycles, the police get issued with them because they are so good for rain and night vision. Never thought of a pair for the car I'll see if i can get some clip on ones for my prescription glasses.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
I would be a it careful buying them from Screwfix, you are letting more light in, I would want them to have good UV protection.

Go and try a few on from people like Ray Ban, they are pretty amazing. Living in Wales probably worth the investment.
Polycarbonate is a pretty good UV filter by itself, absorbing most UV below about 350nm IIRC? The cheapest of cheapnese tat safety glasses bought from alibaba would filter a fair chunk of UV even if any CE marks stood for cheapnese export and stuff like EN166 impact ratings or optical clarity class were fairy tails
Pretty much all decent brands of safety spec filter near as damn it 100% of light below 400nm regardless of tint with many of them being designed for protection around artificial UV sources (i.e. more exposure than you get from natural light) as well as a little impact protection

Personally i like Bolle ESP which filter a chunk of near UV blue light too. Great in low light conditions and when facing an onslought of stupid, cretinous, pointless, retina melting modern car headlights

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
lidl do crivit sunglasses very often. you always get an amber tint ones in the pack (its on deal now)

jari matti latvala (rally boy) wears them in world championship (always did) was leading this years championship, he's a bit of a Colin McCrae often the fastest often in a ditch !! crashing less than he used to might win WRC this year

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/results/championship-standings/page/4176----.html

Jari-Matti+Latvala.jpg

the frogs used to have mandatory yellow lenses on headlamps, but died out in the 80's or somewhere round there

Lambo_Pig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2008/320CDI & Alfa Romeo 4C

Geeze that's very optimistic, that the UK has some sort of UV index ;););););)

I haven't seen any UV for the last 12 months i've been in the UK so far lol

gr1nch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
Does anyone ever use yellow lensed glasses to drive on dull grey days.
I certainly do, for me they brighten the day for sure as well, but more than tha the countryside is much more colourful, the greens become vibrant and rich.

I bought my pair for anti-glare night driving and always use them on long journeys, but now also use them on grey days in the country (usually don't bother on motorways). TBH its not a good look though - mine are bright yellow cheapos with black rims and not stylish like the rally drivers, which look more orangey red btw. A couple of times I've forgotten to take them off going into the petrol station....The price you pay for practicality

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
There used to be a brand - "Night Hawk" I think (?) of these. I wore a pair for a couple of hours and found the view "unnatural" and afterwards I had a stinker of a headache. Never tried them again - I think I threw them away in the end.

But maybe the modern ones are better?

I wear self-tinting specs so I never have too much sun problem but they do nothing for overcast days etc. I'd really need convincing before I paid for my prescription with yellow lenses...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom