Yesterday discovered wife had been parking the car in the way of the sprinkler!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
the sides had dried on limescale I guess as its an extremely hard water area!

Spent hours claying it with Megruires white clay.
Yes it got the white marks off, but I am sure it left a sort of glaze.

No you cant really see it.
But instead of it feeling fabulously slippery its more a sort of greasy feeling when you polish it.

Is there a sort of prewash product that disloves hard water marks?

It was so bad I thought of getting some vinegar, and wiping down the side panels.
Then thought better of it!
Spent 3 hours claying it , and still not ideal.

Or should I just reclay each panel!
Dont fancy that ..... but will do if it means I can recover that perfect, glass like, easy maintenance slippery beading shine.

I know its only an old A Class but previously once clayed and polished it was a lot easier to maintain.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
the sides had dried on limescale I guess as its an extremely hard water area!

Spent hours claying it with Megruires white clay.
Yes it got the white marks off, but I am sure it left a sort of glaze.

No you cant really see it.
But instead of it feeling fabulously slippery its more a sort of greasy feeling when you polish it.

Is there a sort of prewash product that disloves hard water marks?

It was so bad I thought of getting some vinegar, and wiping down the side panels.
Then thought better of it!
Spent 3 hours claying it , and still not ideal.

Or should I just reclay each panel!
Dont fancy that ..... but will do if it means I can recover that perfect, glass like, easy maintenance slippery beading shine.

I know its only an old A Class but previously once clayed and polished it was a lot easier to maintain.
Leave it out in a heavy rain storm, rain water is soft and will dissolve the limescale.
Hopefully you havnt sealed it in with any wax.
If you have a "Clean park" near you you can give it a good wash then give it a good final rinse with their demineralised rinse programme.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I'd be showing her the hairy side Peter. Get her out there with the buckets and fleece mitt!!!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Years ago after an overflow pipe splashed on the brickwork I was told to use Coca Cola to remove the white lime stain. Much to my surprise, it worked - took 2-3 applications

Funnily enough I now have the same issue on an upstairs window. The overflow that caused the problem has been fixed but I can't reach round to clean the window, so it'll have to wait until our son comes over. So I may be able to confirm that it works okay later. If it works on glass, I should think it'll work on paintwork but I wonder if it might cause another problem...

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I'd be showing her the hairy side Peter. Get her out there with the buckets and fleece mitt!!!

Not a chance in hell, more chance of Labour being able to manage the economy! Than her wash the car.
Getting her to take it for the MOT was hard enough!

But then she does work hard. So having retired early thats my department.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Years ago after an overflow pipe splashed on the brickwork I was told to use Coca Cola to remove the white lime stain. Much to my surprise, it worked - took 2-3 applications

Funnily enough I now have the same issue on an upstairs window. The overflow that caused the problem has been fixed but I can't reach round to clean the window, so it'll have to wait until our son comes over. So I may be able to confirm that it works okay later. If it works on glass, I should think it'll work on paintwork but I wonder if it might cause another problem...

Phew ...
My sister has a 2nd house in the Caribbean, the boat mechanics use old Coke as a degreaser! Cleans up the transmission (inboard Mercruiser) like a shiny new pin!
Christ that stuff is like acid. Stick an old penny in a glass and look the following day!
Not sure I would put it on paintwork.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Leave it out in a heavy rain storm, rain water is soft and will dissolve the limescale.
Hopefully you havnt sealed it in with any wax.
If you have a "Clean park" near you you can give it a good wash then give it a good final rinse with their demineralised rinse programme.

I did give it a coat of Autoglyms High gloss ( washes off in a couple of weeks) as it was so dry after claying but NO polish or Collinite wax.

Dont see a thunderstorm coming any time soon :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Phew ...
My sister has a 2nd house in the Caribbean, the boat mechanics use old Coke as a degreaser! Cleans up the transmission (inboard Mercruiser) like a shiny new pin!
Christ that stuff is like acid. Stick an old penny in a glass and look the following day!
Not sure I would put it on paintwork.
It is acid. One of the ingredients is phosphoric acid. It has a pH of 2.53.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It is acid. One of the ingredients is phosphoric acid. It has a pH of 2.53.

Ahhh explains the sucess of Coke!
Dose it up with class A cocaine, get the market addictied, then live off the kickback from the dentistry profession for rotting the kids teeth with acid!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ahhh explains the sucess of Coke!
Dose it up with class A cocaine, get the market addictied, then live off the kickback from the dentistry profession for rotting the kids teeth with acid!
You know their business model then!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I think the Autoglym high gloss may have sealed it in , it's not a wax but it does leave a synthetic protection to the surface .
Have a read up of a product called Chemical Guys clean slate , that will strip any protection off the surface , and then has been said give it a wash when it's raining and hey presto it's like it never happened . Except you still know what she did :D , and don't ever let her forget it .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
As I see it, there is only one course open if you wish to do a proper job

Wheels off and refurbed, with new bolts.
Seats and all interior trim removed, cleaned and treated.
All paint stripped back to bare metal.
Complete respray, making sure that the paint is baked of course.
New garage, with sealed floor. Air conditioned.
Accurate weather forecast, hourly updated.

I'm sure others will add anything I've missed.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
As I see it, there is only one course open if you wish to do a proper job

Wheels off and refurbed, with new bolts.
Seats and all interior trim removed, cleaned and treated.
All paint stripped back to bare metal.
Complete respray, making sure that the paint is baked of course.
New garage, with sealed floor. Air conditioned.
Accurate weather forecast, hourly updated.

I'm sure others will add anything I've missed.
That's a comprehensive list but I worry about the cost , it may be cheaper to buy another car ;)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
might be cheaper to find another wife!

I doubt that, the exist cost would make a new car look an attractive option
I think the Autoglym high gloss may have sealed it in , it's not a wax but it does leave a synthetic protection to the surface .
Have a read up of a product called Chemical Guys clean slate , that will strip any protection off the surface , and then has been said give it a wash when it's raining and hey presto it's like it never happened . Except you still know what she did :D , and don't ever let her forget it .

:):):)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Normally even on top of AG SRP .. it only lasts 2 weeks.
So I shall let it wear off and maybe try that Clean Slate stuff.

It doesnt look too bad for 2002 and 58,000 miles.
IMG_4089.JPG
Well looks OK to me ....

But might deserve a treat As she's in my good books ... as she just passed her MOT with no advisories.
Except the technician did say the one "old" tyre was wearing more on the inside.
Difficult to asses as they were all moved around when I got 3 new ones four months ago

Guess I should watch the new ones to see if it needs alignment. But as its just a shopping trolley not worth an alignment job unless its wearing a tyre out too quickly.

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
You may just have either sealed the surface in or the lube you used may have left a residue. A mild degreaser like Fairy Liquid should shift either of them. I expect industrial application of FL will still be in your domain...

You may have also left some light marring if you had to spend a long time on the job, so either cut it out with a light hand polish or fill with a glaze.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
You may just have either sealed the surface in or the lube you used may have left a residue. A mild degreaser like Fairy Liquid should shift either of them. I expect industrial application of FL will still be in your domain...

You may have also left some light marring if you had to spend a long time on the job, so either cut it out with a light hand polish or fill with a glaze.

And to think they made up a saying that "a woman's job is never done"... in between the things to do in/around the house/garden etc and cleaning up car(s) after other people we blokes have a hard life!

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
White Vinegar soak a micro fibre cloth and gently work all over the affected area, several times, you will be amazed. don't forget to wash it with soap and water after then wax. Simples!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom