Yet another 722.9 thread...

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Well I've been on the phone to an Indy today and to my local MB dealer re: an d ATF change and some interesting findings.

The MB Dealer told me that the ATF change was recommended after the first 30k miles as the metal shavings/filings from the box being bedded in would've needed to have been removed then and thereafter it becomes sealed for life unless the transmission gives cause for a change i.e. bad shifts, funny noises etc. They did however give me a quote for doing the job including the torque converter.

The Indy on the other hand said that the torque converter doesn't have a drain bolt and therefore their quote is for the replacement of the fluid drained from the sump and the associated filter, gasket, O-ring etc.

So who to believe on a) whether or not the change is needed if the 30k change was carried out and b) whether the TC can in fact be drained/emptied somehow?

For what it's worth the car has covered 82k miles and drives well with no funny noises or bad changes and from the briefest of scans through the service book it looks to have had the 30k change in 2012.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If the cars going to be a keeper , then yes every 40k should be your schedule . He is right , the TC will probably not have a drain plug on that year , however it is common practice to detach one of the hoses that run from the gearbox to drain the TC .
I don't know what quote you have got for the full drain including the TC , but bear in mind that Alex Crow Merc and Ian from Star Reading are both around the £200 mark for the full treatment .

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
All 7G boxes from 2006 have a TC drain bung. I know, because I have just done a early 07 E320CDI this afternoon. If it doesnt have one, then just undo the cooler pipe and bleed out the old fluid and pump in the new. Couldn't be simpler really.

As for change intervals....the official interval was once at 37.5k miles and never thereafter. However with the amount of poor shift issues that is suffered by people and sensor failures I would say it is always wise to change it every 4 years or 40k as good preventative maintenance. That is of course entirely down to each individual customer.

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys, I was quoted £190 for the 5l or so from the box alone so £200 or so from other indies is a no brainer. I intend to keep the car long term so will get it booked in somewhere.

Steve-where is your place based? Thanks.

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Off topic but there appears to be two types of brake pad for the rear of my car: ones for those with aluminium calipers and those with iron.

Is it a fair assumption that my rear calipers covered in rust as iron? I would've thought so but want to make sure I order the right type. For what it's worth Euro car parts have a 50% off flash sale between 7-9pm tonight using FLASH50 on checkout.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys, I was quoted £190 for the 5l or so from the box alone so £200 or so from other indies is a no brainer. I intend to keep the car long term so will get it booked in somewhere.

Clevedon, just outside Bristol, 40 Seconds from J20 of the M5.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

He is Clevedon near Bristol , make an overnight if it , give the car a proper run :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Off topic but there appears to be two types of brake pad for the rear of my car: ones for those with aluminium calipers and those with iron.

Is it a fair assumption that my rear calipers covered in rust as iron? I would've thought so but want to make sure I order the right type. For what it's worth Euro car parts have a 50% off flash sale between 7-9pm tonight using FLASH50 on checkout.
Give MB a go , guaranteed the correct ones with VIN number . Probably £40-45 . Try MB Smart Newcastle eBay a go .

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ahh Bristol is a bit far for me. I'll perhaps get in touch with Star in reading as I have family not too far away from there. Thanks chaps

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Ahh Bristol is a bit far for me. I'll perhaps get in touch with Star in reading as I have family not too far away from there. Thanks chaps

A very good second choice....!!!

Top Bottom