Yet another car we are looking at today

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thats good news,,I would hate it if we did not get anymore grazed wheels and bumper post:rolleyes:;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I don't know what you are implying Malcolm :lol:

Just the little fact of life that affect us all,,no one is perfect, and we can all have little mishaps.

Originally the motor car was a means of getting from A to B

these days is is something to get a heart attack over if any one goes near it

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Just the little fact of life that affect us all,,no one is perfect, and we can all have little mishaps.

Originally the motor car was a means of getting from A to B

these days is is something to get a heart attack over if any one goes near it

no wonder though when you look at the price of them!

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
The A class doesn't have a 7 speed autobox. It has a CVT so the advert is wrong. The A170 is capable even with the auto box. :)

We have spoken to the dealer about the ad and this is what he told us.

He knows the CVT box doesn't have gears as such, he can only describe it as having 7 ratios, for example when you drive it tiptronically you get 1 through to 6 come up on the dashboard and then you can put it into D which adds up to 7. Now I really don't have a clue what any of that means, I am just typing what I was told :lol:

Splatt

Reaction score
We did find the petrol A170 with CVT a bit asthmatic. With 4 adults up and at motorway speeds it dropped the fuel economy quite a bit . It did the speed OK but seemed to be running at a lower transmission ratio (higher revs). 2 up was no problem

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
That's the one thanks :D:D:D

I'm really crap at that :shock:

I've been known to get out the driver's seat and get Keith to take over :shock:

Lyn,

The A Class with Parktronic fitted will help you judge your "Bay Parking" as well as doing the "Parallel Parking" for you...............Good luck with it................the 1700cc engine should be more than adequate for you. :)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
We have spoken to the dealer about the ad and this is what he told us.

He knows the CVT box doesn't have gears as such, he can only describe it as having 7 ratios, for example when you drive it tiptronically you get 1 through to 6 come up on the dashboard and then you can put it into D which adds up to 7. Now I really don't have a clue what any of that means, I am just typing what I was told :lol:
Littlebrooklyn, I am not sure how old you are but in the 60's Daff had a variomatic auto gearbox, which I think is the same.
It was quite odd driving as the engine revs changed when the speed was constant.
My advice is go & demo it & see if you like it.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Lyn the CVT box won't hunt or do any nasties because it does not change gear -it just infinitely varies the ratio. Great box; mine was as smooth as the S class I owned. Just stick it in D and let it do the business. And it gives almost as good petrol economy as the manual. And on the diesels gives similar performance to a manual.

( Those who use the tiptronic function on the CVT box are given 7 selected ratios so that it seems like a 7 speed box when using tiptronic).

Avantgarde does not have sport suspension standard - it is available as an option.

All reviews suggest avoiding the sports suspension -and bigger wheels- (if it is not too late). It is not just a firm ride like the E and the C class but is a rather jiggly, unsettled ride. The standard set-up is much nicer.

The A 180cdi is the best engine for the auto box as the power at low revs seems to go really well with the CVT box. But I have friends with a 170 petrol and they are happy with that.

The difference in fuel economy (if this matters to you) is much greater between C and S mode with the CVT box than it is with the normal MB auto box. In my E class it makes little difference. But in the A class CVT (and the B class CVT we had) the effect of driving in C mode is a very significant gain in economy.

J400uk

Reaction score
Surely Lyn is best of with the 170 petrol? I would have thought buying a diesel is a false economy if the car is only going to do 2000-3000 miles a year. She has already said performance isn't an issue.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Surely Lyn is best of with the 170 petrol? I would have thought buying a diesel is a false economy if the car is only going to do 2000-3000 miles a year. She has already said performance isn't an issue.

Probably right. And the performance difference is small too.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I think the 170 petrol should be fine for us, we didn't really do many miles when we only had one car. I can see us just using the A Class for a run around or for taking to places where we don't want to leave the Porsche parked :D

merc7

Reaction score
I think the 170 petrol should be fine for us, we didn't really do many miles when we only had one car. I can see us just using the A Class for a run around or for taking to places where we don't want to leave the Porsche parked :D

Are you implying Porsche a better car??:D:D:D
congratulation on your purchase:p

Splatt

Reaction score
One thing I must mention Lyn is the Parktronic parking sensors. Do not rely on them to inform you of your proximity to a high kerb. They will pick up gate posts, dogs and people alongside at the lights , but they see over kerbs due to the height they are fitted. You can still however rely on the graunch noise to let you know that "you are there"

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom