yet another problem on my e240 1999

brens-e200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 230E W124, 1992 220ce
hi all

I'am slowly loosing my reason with this car but hopefully i can get it back on track. I'am currently dealing with a suspected head gasket issue but this afternoon when I tried to start the car it took a number of turns before it caught and then the idle was really bad.

I investigated the problem and found that by disconnecting either or both front coil packs it made no difference to the idle problem whereas disconnecting any of the rest makes it worse.

I then moved the cables from the front to the next coil pack and the idle was rough so i doubt that both coil packs in the front are gone as it looks like there is an issue with the supply cables going to the packs , is this possible and how can i test it to make sure all the signals/voltages are been sent ?

thanks in advance

brendan

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
Suspecting head gasket? Why is that? Loosing coolant or seeing mayo in engine oil and coolant?
How rough idle do u have? Rough idle could be caused by number of faults like spark plugs, vacuum leaks, maf,map,sluggish oxygen sensor, even old battery, etc etc
Any codes or check engine light?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
To check the coil pack you can get a set of spark checkers for £7, then do a test and then change the coil packs over.

Some of these engines eat coil packs

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
you can use a star test to see which plug is ok and the coil is ok easy on the system to do
coil packs usually go because people are to rough when changing plugs and general breakdown of the cables

OP
brens-e200

brens-e200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
update

Last night i went to move the car and it first first time and idled like a dream
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

@mattuk,

yes i'am loosing coolant and also seeing mayo on the dip stick and oil cap ;-D. there is a suggestion to replace the oil cooler ( cheaper option and a known weak spot < so I have been told > before going done the road of a head gasket change.

Yesterday after driving for about 8miles once parked up i noticed a pool of water under the car and the coolant was streaming from the expansion bottle ( it had never done this before ) . The top radiator hose was very hard as well . I refiled the expansion bottle once it had cooled down for a good while and then drove home but the car was still rough.

I hope to change the cooler over the weekend or early next week.

@television Good idea about the spark plug tester do you have any more info on type/seller please ?

@ all the others thanks for your help and idea's.

regards

brendan

OP
brens-e200

brens-e200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
update

hi all

just thought i'd let you know how i'am getting on. I replaced the oil-cooler after first draining the oil and coolant.

I renewed the coolant and oil and so far no more mayo in either the oil-cap and only a tiny amount on the end of the dip stick :D:D.

checking daily for a coolant loss but none so far , maybe i'am out of the woods

thanks for the help

brendan

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
hi all

just thought i'd let you know how i'am getting on. I replaced the oil-cooler after first draining the oil and coolant.

I renewed the coolant and oil and so far no more mayo in either the oil-cap and only a tiny amount on the end of the dip stick :D:D.

checking daily for a coolant loss but none so far , maybe i'am out of the woods

thanks for the help

brendan

Sounds good however you probably still need to flush radiator few times more to rid out of oil but so far is fine so good.

Ps. So how os head gasket ?looks like it repaired itself?:-D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom